Ask Paul Drinkhall a question!

says Hi Brookerbig, thanks for the message - in all honesty...
Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Hello Paul , hope u r doing great glad to ask u this one , since i v changed to hard rubber h3 .. i feel my control is reducing nowadays , they give great spin and i feel they r very very fast .. wht can i do to solve this issue .. don't tell me to change the rubber , do i need to practice more to get use to the new rubber or do i need to speed glue them every 3 days ... need ur help , kind regards and have a nice day :)

Hi Black Eagle, what rubber you use is a very personal choice, I would say that it is important to always have control, speed and power come from you and your technique :) the surface does help with the spin but you control that too! The Hurricane is a very hard rubber and that suits some players but not everyone, you need to find a rubber that is a suitable one for the way you play and then practice hard to bring out in your game with it. I know you say to not say to change the rubber but if it is too hard then it might not be the best choice for the way you play. Good luck!

Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
hi paul :)

how long do you use your rubbers and blades?
there were some interviews recently where top players said they change their blade like every 6 months because it becomes soft from the water glue.
do you do this?
I tried the mx-p and think it's great. also it has a bit of tackiness which reminds you of chinese rubbers a lot.
the reason why I'm back to tenergy is because it seems to keep the same speed a long time, and I change rubbers like once in a year maybe :-D

also, how did you choose your current blade?
did you try all the tibhar blades?
did you just read the descriptions?
I'm no expert but from timo boll spirit I think the natural move would have been to tibhar freitas?

Hi ttstuff, I have been using the TIBHAR equipment now since the since just after Christmas when I decided I would make the change. I'm really happy with it!

I do not plan to change my blade for this reason with the water based glue, I like to have my blade the same and also a couple of spares that are 'played in'. I think that I like to get used to them and then keep my blades the same! And yes, I really love the MX-P for my game, it works really well for me.

I tried several blades at the TIBHAR head quarters with the equipment experts on hand with some other players and spent a good deal of time playing with some different combinations, I did not try every TIBHAR blade of course but I knew straight away that the Evolution MX-P rubbers were the right choice for my personal style, and of course I know they are very popular. When I tired with them with the Samsonov Stratus the combination felt really good, so that's the change I decided to make!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Hi Paul,

Thanks for answering my previous question! I agree with your sentiments of aiming high!

Do you think that your win over Ovtcharov in Russia was the best performance of your career? Or can you think of specific times you remember playing better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejb

This user has no status.

ejb

This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 2 reviews
Hi Paul,

First off, congrats on a phenomenal 2014 and a juicy new sponsorship deal. For what it is worth, I use a Tibhar blade as well, the Strauss Powerwood (did you try that out as well?), although they don't pay me...

Anyway, on to the questions!

i) Consistency in match play. Top pros hardly ever seem to miss. Are there any technical adjustments you have made which has helped your transition from WR 100 plus to being in the top 40? Or is all about the "I am going to come back stronger" attitude?

ii) Tricky servers. I hate them. Who has had the best serves of people you have played against and what has been your strategy to deal with them?

iii) Timo Boll is partnering up with Ma Long in the Worlds. If you could pick anyone, who would you choose & why?

Thanks for doing this and good luck in 2015!!!

Ed

Reactions: jedimasterplk
Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Hi Paul,

Thanks for answering my previous question! I agree with your sentiments of aiming high!

Do you think that your win over Ovtcharov in Russia was the best performance of your career? Or can you think of specific times you remember playing better?

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Hi tabletennisuk, Ovtcharov is the highest ranked player I have beaten and the occasion was also quite a big one, semi finals of a World Tour and a Major tournament as well. I think on that basis it ranks as one of the biggest wins of my career yes, but I also have good memories of other competitions like beating Jorgen Persson in the semi finals of a large televised tournament in England at the Royal Albert Hall, my first Men's National Title when I was 17, my year at the European Youth Championships when I won the singles, doubles and mixed doubles... I have some big matches that are important for different reasons, but obviously to beat Ovtcharov, the European No.1 and Champion and a guy who is top 5 in the world was a great win yes, especially after just beating Frietas!

Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Welcome Paul,
Simple question: what do you do when you are not playing table tennis or traning? What are yourfavorite activities?

Hi Aznalanx32, in my spare time I love to spend time with my wife and our families and friends, it is important for me as I do so much travelling. I like to play other sports with my friends also as we are all competitive, I also love films and music, and going out to eat is always great, and even though I travel so much with table tennis I love going on holiday like everyone else!

Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Hi Paul,

First off, congrats on a phenomenal 2014 and a juicy new sponsorship deal. For what it is worth, I use a Tibhar blade as well, the Strauss Powerwood (did you try that out as well?), although they don't pay me...

Anyway, on to the questions!

i) Consistency in match play. Top pros hardly ever seem to miss. Are there any technical adjustments you have made which has helped your transition from WR 100 plus to being in the top 40? Or is all about the "I am going to come back stronger" attitude?

ii) Tricky servers. I hate them. Who has had the best serves of people you have played against and what has been your strategy to deal with them?

iii) Timo Boll is partnering up with Ma Long in the Worlds. If you could pick anyone, who would you choose & why?

Thanks for doing this and good luck in 2015!!!

Ed

Hi ejb, thanks for the congratulations! I tried some different blades at the TIBHAR head quarters and really liked the Samsonov blade so went with that one and the MX-P rubbers. They are great! Even if they don't pay you, the equipment is good for your game, so I can see why you are playing with it ;-)

1) Yes the game is very consistent at the highest level, I have not really made any technical adjustments as such just carried on trying to improve, I feel my level has been high for a while I just needed to have a couple of good wins in the right tournaments and I knew my ranking would follow. Ranking is a strange thing as a couple of losses or a bad competition and you can fall before having to make your way up again, and players who are injured have to go down before recovering and rising back up.

2) I have played against some guys who are brilliant servers such as Jan Ove Waldner and some of the Chinese top players. I would say the match I remember the most that was tricky to receive serve well was against Ovtcharov in the London 2012 Olympics, he was serving really well and it was hard to put pressure on him and not to make mistakes! I try to receive serve in a positive manner, it is not good to be tentative. I first look for topspin loop return if my opponents serve is going to drift a little big long, after that if this isn't possible I try to make it as difficult as possible for them to make the first attack, either by touching short or pushing or flicking into the body or very wide. Try to take the initiative and be positive!

3) That's a hard question, I would pick Xu Xin, as he is left handed, has great footwork and because Timo Boll already has Ma Long I might as well go for someone just as good ;-) I think we would be a great combination!

Thanks for the question and for the good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
It's an honour to have you here :)

My questions are:

1. Who is your favourite player and why?

2. Do you switch your grip between Forehand and Backhand. If so, why?

3. What is your favourite shot?

4. Do you have any tips for reacting and moving earlier to the ball as well as taking the ball early? That is a big area of improvement for me :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Hi Paul, what do you think Table Tennis England need to do in order to grow the sport here? Id love to think that one day we can have a competition like the Bundesliga, where top players want to play here. Do you think this is possible??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jedimasterplk

ejb

This user has no status.

ejb

This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 2 reviews
Hi ejb, thanks for the congratulations! I tried some different blades at the TIBHAR head quarters and really liked the Samsonov blade so went with that one and the MX-P rubbers. They are great! Even if they don't pay you, the equipment is good for your game, so I can see why you are playing with it ;-)

1) Yes the game is very consistent at the highest level, I have not really made any technical adjustments as such just carried on trying to improve, I feel my level has been high for a while I just needed to have a couple of good wins in the right tournaments and I knew my ranking would follow. Ranking is a strange thing as a couple of losses or a bad competition and you can fall before having to make your way up again, and players who are injured have to go down before recovering and rising back up.

2) I have played against some guys who are brilliant servers such as Jan Ove Waldner and some of the Chinese top players. I would say the match I remember the most that was tricky to receive serve well was against Ovtcharov in the London 2012 Olympics, he was serving really well and it was hard to put pressure on him and not to make mistakes! I try to receive serve in a positive manner, it is not good to be tentative. I first look for topspin loop return if my opponents serve is going to drift a little big long, after that if this isn't possible I try to make it as difficult as possible for them to make the first attack, either by touching short or pushing or flicking into the body or very wide. Try to take the initiative and be positive!

3) That's a hard question, I would pick Xu Xin, as he is left handed, has great footwork and because Timo Boll already has Ma Long I might as well go for someone just as good ;-) I think we would be a great combination!

Thanks for the question and for the good luck!

Great answers, thanks Paul. Look forward to seeing you teaming up with Xu Xin!

Reactions: Paul Drinkhall
Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
It's an honour to have you here :)

My questions are:

1. Who is your favourite player and why?

2. Do you switch your grip between Forehand and Backhand. If so, why?

3. What is your favourite shot?

4. Do you have any tips for reacting and moving earlier to the ball as well as taking the ball early? That is a big area of improvement for me :)

Hi Anchorschmidt, thanks, it's my pleasure!

1) My favourite player is Wang Liquin, when I was younger I used to watch him and think his style of play was brilliant and he was very dominant for quite a while, his power and consistency were just unbelievable and he was great to watch when he was in full flow. His forehand was the best of his generation and maybe ever!

2) I do change but it's very, very slight, some players change grip al ot between backhand and forehand and some do it without even noticing, my grip is fairly solid and neutral and I don't change very much at all, it's a personal thing.

3) My best shot to play is my forehand topspin especially on a third ball attack, the forehand drive was the first shot I was taught aged 7 and I played it lots after that as a cadet and junior, I do like my backhand also especially my counter topspin but when I'm hitting the ball well I love playing my powerful forehand.

4) I would say everyone has an individual style and some players try to take the ball early even if it does not suit there style of play, I often see players training close to the table then playing well in matches from a little further back or even mid distance so that's the first thing to decide! After that you can do irregular training drills (for example backhand switch, middle ball then anywhere, free table to the opponents block etc) to develop anticipation, practice watching your opponents racket head and body movements and you will soon do it without thinking about it at all!

Hope this is helpful :)

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Hey Paul just saw your comment about warming up from further back if you play mid distance, might have to try that. I'm not the tallest at 6"0/6"1 but I often feel cramped up at the table. Do you have any tips for relaxing during matches since I normally feel I'm better in training than matches despite the right sort of drills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Hi TTHopeful - Yes I played with Tenergy after the speed glue ban when I was sponsored by Butterfly, who I was really grateful to for the support over the years. When I tried the Evolution MX-P it just seemed like the perfect rubber for my game. TIBHAR is a really top manufacturer and the equipment is brilliant, I have not tried all of the range of rubbers of course but I spent some time testing quite a selection over in Germany with some of the TIBHAR equipment experts and I was really impressed.

The MX-P works well when I want to be able to serve short with lots of spin, I have the confidence to rely on the rubber. It helps me open up with either heavy top spin strokes or go for a third ball attack winner. It also has really great control for an attacking rubber, so I am comfortable blocking and touching short too. It's the best choice for my game!

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply! I saw a picture on your facebook where you was with Samsonov in Germany with Tibhar looked great!

Are there differences between a pro players Evolution MX-P and a commercial evolution rubber sold in the stores? Are you allowed to customise your own rubbers?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi Paul! Thanks for joining here, it's greatly appreciated by all of us :) Your answers are stunning! It is great go see yiu bounce back from injury!

I want to ask, you had a lot of multi ball when you was younger with a Chinese coach. How important do you think multi ball was to the development of your game?

Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Hi Paul, what do you think Table Tennis England need to do in order to grow the sport here? Id love to think that one day we can have a competition like the Bundesliga, where top players want to play here. Do you think this is possible??

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Hi tabletennisuk. I think we need more media coverage, more clubs at the grass roots level and more people playing the sport socially. We do not have as big a player base as in Germany or other countries in Europe, more sponsorship and media coverage and attention would mean more people know how great s sport table tennis is, more people and also young children joining clubs increases the participants and it's a huge knock on effect! If this happened the sport would grow, participation at competitions would increase, more money would come in and then the competitions could offer better facilities, better prize money - like I say it's one big wheel! We also need to keep players playing, lots of guys stop playing after the junior level as we lack incentives for them to carry on playing our sport. This then gives the younger players more role models also!

It would be amazing to have a league system built up like the Bundesliga - it's built up by the reasoning above ;-) more players play throughout Germany, it's a numbers game really, like one big pyramid working from grass roots up to the elite guys at the very top.

Mar 2015
Read 4 reviews
Hey Paul just saw your comment about warming up from further back if you play mid distance, might have to try that. I'm not the tallest at 6"0/6"1 but I often feel cramped up at the table. Do you have any tips for relaxing during matches since I normally feel I'm better in training than matches despite the right sort of drills.

Hi jackFH, it's important when you warm up to just concentrate on taking the ball at the top of the bounce, practice in your regular footwork exercises playing top of the bounce ball all the time to get the timing better. You do not get to many guys at your height playing very close to the table - look at guys like Samsonov, Rosskopf, Wang Liquin, Jorgen Persson - they all played mid distance, top of the bounce players to give them the time to get the big powerful shots in. Taller guys have longer limbs and 'big levers' which makes for powerful shots, and you need time to play those! The opposite would be someone like Jean Phillipe Gatien who played very close to the table, taking the ball off the bounce very early - he was much smaller in height and very fast.

To relax in matches, practice properly and diligently then you know that you are prepared, then trust yourself! Try to dictate and play the way you have practiced, then you will feel more comfortable. If you can look to play your strengths and force these into your opponent you will feel more relaxed playing the right game for you.

Reactions: Wannes