Kim Jung Hoon FH Topspin Lesson with Div 4 city player

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Kim Jung Hoon has a LOT of vids on my Korea Foreign Sponsor's Korean TAK9.com youtube channel. (They also own the Korean bran Nexy) These are GREAT vids where Korean pro player Kim Jung Hoon gives a 20-30 minute one on one lesson to amature players like us.

This vid is also on the FH topspin, and one simply cannot hear enough of critical fundamentals and pointing out the common errors of amature players.

I will break down the first 10 minutes or so of the vid in detail, it has 90% of what good tips he is giving out.

Vid starts with an average club level player doing a FH tpspin single ball drill. He is missing a lot and even the other amature players on the Nexy team kinda giggle at how tight the player is hitting, even KJH comes out and tries to do a quick shoulder muscle massage on the dude.

2:36 KJH says to be honest one doesn't really (fix it all) improve a whole lot in one day. Her tells player to look at two things.

1) Low stance is good, but swing is TOO LONG, very difficult to get back on time. bat "shakes" (A Korean term for wavers or moves or generally isn't secure or stable). Having that big swing for the 70-80% power shot is difficult to recover and get the right timing.

2) KJH tells the player that the swing should be QUICK but the player's swing is LATE, he is trying to push and carry the ball.

3:25 KJH does a few "Wrong" swings to show player what he is doing.

3:45 KJH tells player to speed up the swing and make it more quick and to not "Shake" the bat.

4:00 KJH tells player on 80% power shots hold bat very firm at impact, be very stable, finish to front and not take swing all the way over shoulder.

4:20 KJH tells player to NOT use a "long" waist. Use a short compact rotation of hips.

4:25 KJH grunts and shows how

4:30 KJH tells player to also make swing go faster

4:44 KJH tells player to slow the timing down hit a little behind

4:52 KJH tells player to open th hips some more and hit the ball in front a little more

5:15 KJH tells player "Hit more in front" Yeah like that.

5:30 KJH tells player to finish the swing more to the front, instead of on top over shoulder

5:40 KJH tells player he has low stance, but lets ball come back too much. Try to impact ball at top of bounce.

5:55 JKH says the more you get low, the more you can still impact ball when it is high.

6:21 KJH says to go more forward and be both QUICKER and FASTER.

6:36 KJH says one can still hit a high ball (chest hight ball) from a low stance just need to shorten the swing and use short compact waist rotation

6:42 KJH tells player not to make a huge follow through. Cut it off in front of you and use body to help the backswing

7:11 KJH says you gotta hit the ball in the center of the bat

7:30 to 7:58 lots of words but he is saying to never forget the basic FH drive stance and position. He hits some Fh drives and asks... "What is FH Loop?" he hits some loops with progressively more spin. KJH says a loop is like a drive but think of 100,000 times more spin. You are always thinking of adding more and more spin. "Isn't that a loop?" (IRONICALLY, Koreans call a FH loop a DRIVE and call a FH Drive a HWA.)

8:08 KJH tells player what he is doing is using a LOT of power, but there isn't the corresponding amount of spin.

8:32 KJH says one can use his finger to "Catch" the ball (SEE it and determine where it is and where it will be)

8:50 KJH says to catch the ball in front of you quickly

8:52 KJH tells player NOT to pull the ball, but to go straight with it

9:17 KJH demonstrates what the player is doing wrong - using a bending swing plane. KJH tells player to use a direct swing plane and on the backswing, to "Stand up" the bat (prepare it) and take it back "Heavy"

9:38 KJH says player is impacting ball way too far back in zone. Hit more in front.

9:52 Accellerate bat forward more.

10:20 KJH says player is trying to push the ball from too far back, that makes the bat move (out of target and center and angle)

10:30 KJH demonstrates how player is trying to carry over the ball with his swing

10:50 KJH tells player that if he is caught where he cannot impact the ball in front in time, that he should just make a good impact deep, NOT try to carry ball to front and lose power/control, then take hte next ball on time.

KJH demonstates it with a swing and a hit or two.

Anything else later in the vid, if you tell me a time frame, I'll break it down further. The first 11 minutes contain most of the valuable stuff.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Gar nicht. These vids were produced for the Korean audience. The Nexy manager who help produce these vids (and also the Nexy Korea President) speak good English, but until recently (because Nexy now has NexyUSA.com for USA market and I am the Janitor there... just look at my Sig) they had no reason or purpose to make vids in English.

You will not begin to understand the work involved is doing this. Just making a vid and some key point subtitles in your own language is difficult enough, so many hours of looking over the vid and figuring out what to say where.

The series of vids they do with this Korean pro is unique and has good value to amature players like us for several reasons...

1) KJH vids feature amature players trying to do something live, not elite players with perfect form.

2) KJH vids show us WHAT the player is not doing effective, WHY the player is DOING that, WHICH concepts are effective, HOW to employ them, WHERE to hit the ball... the 5 Ws

3) KJH gets right to the point when he sees a player not being effective. He can pinpoint what is going on right away and explain well enough the concepts of what is important. We can relate to that as amature players.

4) KJH doesn't say there is only ONE right way to do something or THE right way.

5) KJH can tell you how to transfer power (and consistency/accuracy) into a shot and break it down.

It is unfortunate more people in the world do not speak Korean, I suppose we could say that with German too.

You could try to learn Korean, but you might prefer 5 years of CIA torture over learning to even a basic level. I became functional to the same level in German 5 times faster with much less stress.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KJH was telling the player he used too long rotation of hips. He demonstrated a LONG hip, then a short rotation of hips.

KJH uses that short, quick waist to move his shoulders. On 80% power shots, he uses the waist to throw open the non hitting should to get extra momentum for shoulder rotation. That transfers to the ball.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
US players know that it SEEMS too many of the coaches in US are not in it to improve the player significantly, that would be working oneself out of a job... and at $50 an hour or up to $80 an hour for private lessons (that the coach splits 50/50 with the club if he doesn't own the club) that is a virtual CASH COW these kind of coaches want ot milk to the max... and why not? It is business on both ends and if the player is so gullible, he is gunna get that. A businessman is responsible in the eyes of the law to research and be knowing enough not to be fooled by easy ploys. If a player gives all that money to a coach for one year straight and doesn't raise his playing level from 1300 to 1600 or better (or at least be firmly in that direction) then there is obviously something wrong. Not everyone is gunna be a 2000+ player, but someone who gets THAT high level of professional coaching had better clearly progress of something is seriously wrong.

One can go to a club where there are such high level coaches and see what the player was one or two years before and what they are now. Most of these coaches are essentially a high level hitting partner or high level blocker machine for the player with such cash. I can tell I have visited some big time clubs in US and seen some of these players, usually rich older gents who dont really care to improve to above average, if they can learn a flashy FH hit or BH topspin to dominate play at their office, they are happy as Frog.

KJH takes this 1300-1500 level player and improves some of his fundamentals the first 30 minutes.... and KHJ is doing more of the hitting !!!

This user has no status.
US players know that it SEEMS too many of the coaches in US are not in it to improve the player significantly, that would be working oneself out of a job...

speaking as someone who gives lesson to amateur players, the coaches are not very smart if they think that. a student that makes the most progress is a happy student and one that will keep coming back. everyone always wants to improve no matter how good they are after all. also there is no better marketing than other people noticing someone improved their game after they started taking lessons from you.

Reactions: Suga D and Boogar
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are many coaches in USA who will NOT pass up an opportunity to KEEP making $80 an hour from the same player stringing him along for years. Some players want it like that, they only want to improve a little in areas that are visible to their friends. If Der_Echte was giving $80 USD per hour to a coach and I did not raise my level measurably the first year, it would be well past time to fire that coach. The coaches stringing along certain players dont want the money train to end. The same coaches might have junior players they quickly develop. Most of the people who continue to toss $80 USD an hour to a coach who doesn't significantly develop them are most older gents with money to spare and some ego almost as large.

I am with Irza in that a coach's best marketing are his students - how they perform and how they develop and how they love TT.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is interesting, while it is true that the best advertisement and the the best way to keep clients should be by really helping them improve, there really are lots of coaches in USA who give clients a workout but don't necessarily help them improve their skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is interesting, while it is true that the best advertisement and the the best way to keep clients should be by really helping them improve, there really are lots of coaches in USA who give clients a workout but don't necessarily help them improve their skills.

Sent from my Coach's Hustle Scam Phone using Sweet-talk

Tell me that isn't true. :D

I see the same coaches both growing players and getting paid, and also giving players a lot of drills (where they are a blocking machine and ball feeder) but the player never improves over time but coach is still paid, pretty well, even after he coughs up half his hard earned money.

I tell the truth, in the city that is credited (along with NYC) of having "Yankee Ingenuity" and business sense, (these are smart and responsible/shrew businessmen we are talking about who can steal the pennies of a dead man's eyes in 200 different ways undetected and not care) if such businessmen want to pay $50-$80 USD and hour once or TWICE a week for "practicing" with coach, who will tell them all kinds of "White Lies" and encouragement to feed their egos, then that businessman paying the money deserves what he got. Often, they are just gents with a lot of money who cannot get other club players to train or practice with them.

What I love about these vids series, id KJH is telling it like it is no bullcrap and can articulate his ideas into something you can understand and apply.

That is something a coach should be able to do, but we in USA do not see this in the majority of cases.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KJH was telling the player he used too long rotation of hips. He demonstrated a LONG hip, then a short rotation of hips.

KJH uses that short, quick waist to move his shoulders. On 80% power shots, he uses the waist to throw open the non hitting should to get extra momentum for shoulder rotation. That transfers to the ball.

Someone asked me to re-post this a while back.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Occasionally, I will do a grave dig on one of the KJH vids, there is always something, really MANY things to learn right away that can be applied to our amature games immediately with good effect.

KJH vids have taught me a lot and re-enforced many things positively along with many other things on TTD and other TT forums.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have memory of elephant.

Der_Echte is not joking about his memory! Some months ago, we played a doubles match ... and I was keeping score out loud but as it was close to midnight, i was a little tired and had the score wrong... immediately Der said that's wrong, it can't be that, it's either this or that, because our side served first, etc.

This past weekend, I'm played him in 2 singles matches and I'm in the moment, thinking of what i did right or wrong, marveled at his trash-talking game and after the match he says you made x amount of loops, you won y% of your serves, etc. He was breaking down my game statistically and it blew my mind!