Bojan Tokic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I agree that Tokic played a very good game against Ma Long, but I don't think Ma was really putting forth his best loops and his most riskiest tactics. I believe that Tokic's style is more accustomed to Ma's, but Ma found his range after the 4th and was able to push through it. Let's be honest here because Ma very much like Ma Lin vs Livenstov was a bit overconfident and didn't put the effort he normally puts in against the higher seeded players. He almost made the mistake of getting overconfident and letting it get to the 7th and that could have been drastic.

As for his multiball, I believe his partner is using short pips. Making the balls easier to counter with his flatter hits. The reflexes are good, but his footwork is clumsy. He really needs better multiballers and more variation to handle the multiball process of the Chinese. I think he has some great potential to get into the top 20, but not the top 10 unless he really strives to train more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I agree that Tokic played a very good game against Ma Long, but I don't think Ma was really putting forth his best loops and his most riskiest tactics. I believe that Tokic's style is more accustomed to Ma's, but Ma found his range after the 4th and was able to push through it. Let's be honest here because Ma very much like Ma Lin vs Livenstov was a bit overconfident and didn't put the effort he normally puts in against the higher seeded players. He almost made the mistake of getting overconfident and letting it get to the 7th and that could have been drastic.

As for his multiball, I believe his partner is using short pips. Making the balls easier to counter with his flatter hits. The reflexes are good, but his footwork is clumsy. He really needs better multiballers and more variation to handle the multiball process of the Chinese. I think he has some great potential to get into the top 20, but not the top 10 unless he really strives to train more.

Idk if Ma Long will ever be overconfident. I think it is more likely that he was afraid to lose, even though he is way better. And as we know fear to lose causes no relaxed loops, no flow. That makes it always hard to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It's pretty clear here that he was overconfident. He didn't have any of his nervous tendencies. In the first 3 games he wasn't playing at his normal par. He was playing very passively and doing the bare minimum to win his services. I believe that after the 3rd he really stepped it up and found Tokic's range closing it out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It's pretty clear here that he was overconfident. He didn't have any of his nervous tendencies. In the first 3 games he wasn't playing at his normal par. He was playing very passively and doing the bare minimum to win his services. I believe that after the 3rd he really stepped it up and found Tokic's range closing it out.

Okay, I don't remember the match that well. Would that be the reason he performs so much better against Chinese players? Because he doesn't underestimate them and goes full power from the start? I can't wait to see his next match against a non-Chinese top player.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Okay, I don't remember the match that well. Would that be the reason he performs so much better against Chinese players? Because he doesn't underestimate them and goes full power from the start? I can't wait to see his next match against a non-Chinese top player.

Good point WiWa. I think you are right.. Against Ma Long he just went for it and believed he could win. Although he is not on Ma Longs level he just gave his absulute best and reached peak performance.

Its like when we play better players then ourselves at tournaments... We raise our level and can sometimes even win.

I watched Bojan at ETTC 2011 and i think he bas a very good world class basis and he will go far. He still has the desire and wants it bad!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Good point WiWa. I think you are right.. Against Ma Long he just went for it and believed he could win. Although he is not on Ma Longs level he just gave his absulute best and reached peak performance.

Its like when we play better players then ourselves at tournaments... We raise our level and can sometimes even win.

I watched Bojan at ETTC 2011 and i think he bas a very good world class basis and he will go far. He still has the desire and wants it bad!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Yeah, on the ETTC he showed that his game against Ma Long wasn't an accidental peak performance, but he really upped his level. I hope he can continue this line, his game is a pleasure to watch as well! 110% effort and good looping from both sides :D

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah, on the ETTC he showed that his game against Ma Long wasn't an accidental peak performance, but he really upped his level. I hope he can continue this line, his game is a pleasure to watch as well! 110% effort and good looping from both sides :D

Very true! And to be honest, thats the mentality that makes champions! Look at Timo Boll for instance :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010

Hmmmm I am not sure it was really overconfidence as opposed to just not being used the style of play. Ma Long despite winning 4-0 against Skachov in the swedish open, still showed some definite unease in dealing with his backhand. The same applied to his match against Tokic. The Chinese players just are really used to playing players with the type of backhand that Tokic has I think. The type that really ignores consistency in exchange for more alright killing power. Boll has a great backhand, but its strengths are completely different compared with those of Tokic and Skachov. You could see in many of the points between Ma Long and Tokic, Ma Long isn't really expecting the level of backhand loop that Tokic unleashes, and that really starts causing problems with your footwork and in turn your loops, when you have to continually second guess yourself as to what he is going to do with his backhand.