Multiball drills

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This video has some good drills that help improve your footwork:

This is a video of Xu Xin doing an advanced version of one of those drills:

It is also good to have a person give you underspin and you try to loop the underspin. You can have them give you the ball to the same spot to work on your strokes or you can have them feed you the ball to random places if you are good at looping underspin with the forehand and backhand. Having a random element in some of the multiball drills is worthwhile.

When you are solid with looping underspin you can also have the person feed you balls to random spots on the table switching from underspin to topspin so that you constantly have to adjust to different spins coming at you. This can also be done where the spin is varied but the placement stays consistent so you get used to switching from underspin to topspin and back with the forehand and backhand before you have the ball placement varied.

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
This is what I consider a good multiball drill:

Underspin ball on BH --> Topspin cross
Counterhit-ball on BH --> pivot to FH and topspin cross
Counterhit-ball on mid-table --> FH topspin to adversary's BH
Counterhit-ball on FH --> FH topspin cross or down the line.

Second exercise:
1. Short push --> Short push back
2. Deep push on BH --> Topspin BH
3. Counterhit-ball on mid table --> Finish off with hard FH

Both exercises are quite intensive on the footwork. Try to maintain balance whilst hitting every ball and gradually increasing the speed of the multiballs
Of course much depends on the consistency of the person providing the multiballs :d

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
A big part of backhand loop comes down to lower arm and wrist flick. Ur bat starts about the left hip (righthanded). Elbow is in further away from you than your hand. Then move your lower arm around your elbow, and with your wrist flick the bat forward at the moment of touching the ball. The starting position is best realised when ur knees are bent (ass backwards). This creates some room 'under' your chest to start your backhand loop. Also a little more parallel stance of feet compared to FH loop (where the right foot (righthanded) stands further backwards than left in starting position).

May 2011
I know many people (including myself sometimes) have trouble topspinning pushed balls with BH.
90% of the time though, your opponent will either serve or return serve with underspin to your BH as soon as he notices you can't attack with it.
Therefor it is very important that you focus on this stroke, because it's something you need EVERY match again and again.
If your opponent has a little bit brains, he will play underspin balls to your BH all match long, believe me, I've played a thousand matches like that. (either as a victim or as the "brain"-dude)

May 2011
I know this female player, playing with anti-topspin rubber, and everytime the opponent pushes to her backhand, she just smashes it right down the line. The look on the opponent's faces is just priceless :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
If you like to play multi ball, invest on a good ping pong ball picker upper. Do not spend too much time and energy picking up those balls. Stay free from back pain that plague a lot of table tennis players.... especially players who play with robot and practice multi ball drills.

joe

www.mypingpongbuddy.com