Which poly ball should you choose?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
View attachment 15714

I stumbled upon 1* orange poly balls at a local sports shop today. Donic made in China. I would rate them slightly better compared to the Butterfly 1* 40+ we use at the club where I normally play. Maybe old news but these are the first orange ones I've seen in the flesh. Really hoping to get a hold of 3* orange poly balls.

Nice avatar ! Stellan Bengtsson ?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Actually I do too.

Hm, must be just me then, having been burned by an incredibly bad batch ("XHAG") of them. I introduced the DHS D40+ with great enthusiasm after trying out a few boxes ("XCAG") first, then confidently bought a few dozen more. We're using the XuShaoFa seamless threestar, which plays fine and is well liked, but it's a bit too brittle and a bit too costly even without the high churn rate to my liking, so based upon my initial positive experiences I felt confident a change to the DHS D40+ would work out well.

So then I received a gross out of the forementioned "XHAG" production run, which were like hitting… well, pudding, mostly. Or raw squid. Inflated little rubber balloons wouldn't have been worse by much.

I do think I got a particularly bad batch, but scarred by that experience it will take a whole lot of effort before the club will even considers touching that ball again. Still keen on alternatives to the XSF***, I'm now considering:

• Andro *** Speedball 3S
  • DHS Ball *** Dual ABS 40+ (if I can somehow help people overcome that fatal first impression)
  • Donic Bal P40+ ***
  • Gewo Balls Ultra SLP 40+ ***
  • Stiga Bal Perform ABS 40+ ***
  • Tibhar Ball***40+ SYNTT NG

The people at the local shops that I consider trustworthy tell me these balls are all frightfully similar. Are they? The TTD review of the Perform ABS 40+ looks promising, and got positive anecdotal evidence on the SYNTT NG 40+.

I can shell out a few tens of €s again, buying a couple of boxes of these six ABS balls. However, I'm now fearful of inconsistencies/QA issues across the board.

Reactions: langel
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The Stiga I tried were good. But only one box of three. Very small sample.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Syntt NG, 3S and P40+ are the same DHS ball afaik (D40+)

Yes, that's what everybody tells me. Now what I'd like to know if they're not just the same balls created in the same factory using the same process, but if they're also subjected to the same QA regime.

My mixed experiences with the DHS D40+ tell me that the good balls from this type are very good but the bad are very bad indeed. Production of that self same ball in conjunction with a strenuous QA process might help tilt the scales favourably, washing away the (bulk of) the bad ones or batches of bad ones (as I had).

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, that's what everybody tells me. Now what I'd like to know if they're not just the same balls created in the same factory using the same process, but if they're also subjected to the same QA regime.

My mixed experiences with the DHS D40+ tell me that the good balls from this type are very good but the bad are very bad indeed. Production of that self same ball in conjunction with a strenuous QA process might help tilt the scales favourably, washing away the (bulk of) the bad ones or batches of bad ones (as I had).

That is the key question. I think the companies contracting with the factory can specify QC standards but that affects the price they have to pay a d then pass on. In any case it is strongly looking like seamed ABS balls will win out. I am very much ok with that.

Reactions: Ioiettino
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
HTB1w0x1dxSYBuNjSsphxh6GvVXay.jpeg

https://minkow.en.alibaba.com/produ...three_star_40_plastic_table_tennis_balls.html

Kingnik Premium is now using some updated plastic material, something different from DHS D40+. It would be an interesting experience to get this new product and give it a thorough try.

Be happy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Regardind the Nexcell or that it's orange? The Nexcell has been on the list for quite a while now... I wrote an Email to Nittaku Germany and Japan without getting a reply.