Which poly ball should you choose?

Yesterday I played with Gewo Select Pro 40+ 3* Gold, vague cream colour, ABS, and for me it plays much better than the original DHS ABS, or at least the parcells we have in the club. Its strange that the local distributor managed to take them for a lower price than the local price of DHS ABS.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I've played local tournament with Tibhar SYNTT NG *** 40+ yesterday and it felt even harder then DHS D40+ (which I believe are coming from the same factory). On our lower level (national 80-95 percentil) it resulted mainly in lowering effect of serve and more drives and loops lending on the table. Mainly first attack was much easier because backspin balls were noticeable easier to play. Few people liked it but majority complained about loosing spin (as usually).

In the evening I plaid four more singles in lower league and they opened new box of "outdated" DHS 40+ cell-free balls (aka "the worst balls ever"). Maybe for the first time I noticed more spin and real difference against balls from the morning. Indeed table also plays the role but doing 3rd ball attack into backspin return was much more difficult for me.

My search for cheap, consistent and durable *** plastic balls is still kind of on, so far the best durability vs. price ratio are DHS D40+ from TTnPP. However some more consistent or training variant would be fine. I've seen brand new Yasaka AB 40+ appearing in the shops for very good price (at least at my local dealer). I guess these are another rebranded DHS ABS balls like Joola Prime, Stiga Perform etc. Any experience? @Lula?

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-plastic-ab-40-3-seam-3-pcs

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Why buy anything but the abs DHS D40+ from TTnPP at that price for practice ? The same ball presently used on the world tour.

Well, having been burnt once and having thrown out a gross of them, I had my reasons to find something else. I found my alternative in the Stiga Perform 40+ threestar. Not much costlier, and the first few hundred were all OK. Less worries, so sticking to them.

Reactions: NextLevel
Why buy anything but the abs DHS D40+ from TTnPP at that price for practice ? The same ball presently used on the world tour.

Maybe because not all of the DHS parcells are of the same quality as of the World Tour ones, and the ones here are really bad.
I have to admit that the latest seamless balls of Xiom that I received two weeks ago sucks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I just want to say I really like the 1* orange Cornillleau balls I talked about now, at least once the dusty surface has gone (which has been the case for the whole box after a couple of training sessions, including multi-ball). Again I feel they might be marginally softer than D40+ but the overall feeling is quite natural to me and a good compromise on all fronts. And, that colour! Also, none broken so far. I have played quite a few matches with them, by now. When checking them out individually I could always find one or two that weren't absolutely perfect in terms of roundness, but mostly I don't bother and never had an issue when playing. Of course I may have the touch of a goose, and they can't be used for league play, but I am mighty glad we got our hands on them.

There was a talk from international umpires that the nittaku premium breaks easily more than dhs d40+, dunno if this is true
Yeah this is very true in my experience. Some of the Nittaku balls I played with were done for in 2 weeks. The DHS D40+ ones each last me around a month or so. Only downside is that they get dull and the logo wears off. The Nittaku ones don't seem to have that issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My favorite balls, largely because I want consistency across the market are the new DHS and DFish ABS balls in whatever brand. Close second is the Nittaku Premium. Distant third is the seamless, as they bounce higher and make me look my stupid when I serve. Very very distant fourth is everything else.

Just about every tournament in the US has switched to an aBS seamless ball (Joola Prime, Gewo, Nittaku Premium). This convergence will bring more peace.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
The Nittaku is not seamless but I do however agree that the seamless ball is quite tricky to adjust to if you're used to balls like the DHS D40+. The bounce is quite different. I played a tournament this past weekend which had the Xushaofa as their ball of choice and the bounce was actually quite different to what I'm used to (DHS D40+, Stiga Perform and BTY G40+).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I tried the three-star Cornilleau ABS Evolution over a couple of sessions, repeatedly switching back and forth with DHS D40+. I had expected them to just be a rebranded DHS and behave in exactly the same way, but not quite.
Both are obviously made from the same material and leave a significant amount of the "signature" white dust on rubbers when new, and a bounce test gives very precisely the same result (down to the fifth or sixth bounce, letting them fall from about a metre high over several tries). Roundness and consistency on par with the three-star rating.
However, the Cornilleau are noticeably lighter. I could already tell by shuffling them up quickly behind my back, and guessing which was which every time. Other people agreed instantly. It is also true when playing, so that spin feels nastier and it is not quite as easy as with the DHS to just punch through heavy backspin or any such kind of stroke, yet it doesn't feel too light or flimsy in the way a G40+ does. This makes it interesting for those who haven't quite got over the change from celluloid and will find some sort of compromise, although the behaviour overall is still clearly that of an ABS ball (of good quality).

I am not sure which I prefer, to be honest. What I can say is playing with the Cornilleau felt a little more technical and required more attention (again, I am not faulting the consistency in any way) while switching to the DHS after a few matches suddenly felt like playing tennis or at least, easier and almost recreational, if I may exaggerate the difference here for emphasis. Note that I also have a lot more experience with the DHS, so there's that, and I think the Evo should be seen as an alternative with their own merits.

This user has no status.
In the Czech Republic, more and more clubs are starting to play with DHS D40 + balls
Buying these balls is at the same price as from China, including VAT.
If you are interested, here is the address of the DHS D40 + ball retailer, dhs-729.eu.
In addition, they provide free shipping to EU countries, the US and Canada.