Which poly ball should you choose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Here we go - another big update, and a great one for Orange ball fans.

DHS - D40+ - Seamed - ORANGE

This is a game-changer for Orange balls really. Once the D40+ is available in orange, all the re-labelled versions of the white D40+ will surely follow. And the D40+ is cheap!

cache.php

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I would like to both collect and try out all the different balls available. How many are ITF approved and how easy is it to purchase them in UK?

The list of ITTF-approved balls can easily be found on the ITTF website. There are a number there from manufacturers I've never heard of, which suggests to me that sourcing them in the UK might prove difficult !

This user has no status.
I have to say my experience with the old generation DHS 40+ balls is that they were very durable, and the new DHS D40+ ABS balls are not very durable. The new DHS D40+ balls seem to develop marks and then cracks pretty quickly, after a month or two.

The old 40+ balls, I accidentally bought a box off of tabletennis11 when I got confused thinking they were the new ones, and I couldn't get them to die. After several months of my coworkers smashing them into metal shelves behind the game table at work, they were fine. I actually took one and smashed it point blank into a metal grate to see what all the fuss about them breaking easily was about, it was fine. I eventually managed to get rid of them after I slipped them into the box of training balls at the club. "Who put these 40+ balls in here, those ones are terrible!" They were all found and thrown in the bin after one evening!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Played our state games last weekend.

Our club uses the DHS D40+ ball normally. But because some players want to train for USATT events (which has 3 sponsored balls - Butterly, Nittaku, Joola) they want to use the Nittaku ball. That's fine. Tournament went well and was successful.

But wow do I not like this ball. I won't even get that much into price (48 balls - $138. No Joke). Price aside, the DHS D40+ ball is flat out surperior in really every way. Or that ways that matter.

Durability:
No doubt the Nittaku ball is absolutely more firm that the DHS ball. My training partner hit the ball just long off the table. Not all that fast. Bounced once on the floor and then hit the wall. Crack... The Nittaku ball is simply more prone to brakes because it doesn't flex. The DHS ball on contrast I can't recall breaking from a player's hit. Generally if one brakes, that's because someone accidentally stepped on it. ;)

Spin:
This can be subjective but I think the DHS ball spins better as well. When you think about the physics, it makes sense to me. When you hit the ball, the DHS ball will technically conform more as it flexes thus more of your racket grabs it. Firthermore, when say topspinning out, if the ball baloons out (even if by .01%), it can spin faster than a perfectly round ball. Again probably talking the most minor of details but that was my impression. The Nittaku ball doesn't spin as well.

So in to conclude. We had a ball that was roughtly 5 times more expensive, was more brittle, and didn't spin as well.... Yeah. :( #FeelsBadMan

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
suds 79, you forgot to mention, if the Nittaku Premium doesn't break, it's new playable life, is much shorter than a DHS D40+.

The biggest problem I've noticed with the Nittaku Premium is that, after it's been used a few times, it starts to go shiny and spin-resistant and nobody wants to play with it. Oh, and the logo starts to wear off which is something I've never seen before. Great match balls when they're new but still not a patch on the old Nittaku Premium celluloid ball for general club use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
I recently bought some half white half orange D40+ approved by CTTA. I can't tell any difference between them and the white *** D40+ ITTF Approved, both very durable. No issues like hillwalker stated in his previous post.

I'm having the durability problems with the D40+ at my workplace, there is metal shelving with tools boxes etc behind the tt table, that the balls will hit on if the player on that side misses. And a couple of the guys are flat hitters that like to absolutely smash the ball. So tough conditions really. The balls get thin lines or creases, these eventually develop in to cracks.

On the other hand, my club also uses the D40+ in a more normal sports hall, and has no durability issues.

This is good way of trying different balls.Is there any difference between the seamless balls other than the logo? I have two different Xushofa logos on seamless balls and wonder if there is perhaps a difference in quality? Different versions as the manufacturing process evolves?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-Mult...m=123069174696&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Yes, there is a difference between the XSF with the straight X and the XSF with the curved X.
The curved sounds more bold and feels a little bit dead in comparison to the straight X. I prefer the straight X.
Sometimes there are very little differences between the differently branded seamless.
Its a matter of batch, but the differences are much less than the differences between other balls variations. Every single model of the other seamed balls is produced in several different factories, maybe only Nittaku Premium is an exception, and sometimes the differences are really great, but all of the seamless are produced in only one factory and are much more consistent.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
BOGUS NITTAKU EXCEL ...

Dearest Torsten,

As checking some new balls through the ITTF approval list I cant see stamp image, thus it is now impossible for people to distinguish a fake product. No reference image included into the approval list. So bad.

As an example, could you please give me an image of standard stamp for this Nittaku NEXCEL ball. It is now available from an Asian marketplace (other than Japan's), and it looks very, very suspicious to me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

nittaku_bogus.jpg