Wong Chun Ting's Equipment

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Or simply it is just "a specific product for a specific market" - as per distribution policies.
To me, that is not "custom blade", as they "mass produce them"
Custom blade = manufacture 1 unit only..... which will never be the case for retail business (the mold + legal requirements will just be too expensive). But again, it is doable - but to save on legal fees, NDA's must be in place. ie with they contracted players.

This is not just Butterfly, it applies to all brands - just like you get special Stiga blades in Chinese market, and not available any where else - ie Sweden.
Same applies to Yasaka - specific rubbers for China, that even Yasaka Sweden staff didn't hear before (asked me, what is that....)

Something small is like - Butterfly NA don't stock 1.7mm rubbers, thus it is "unavailable", not because it is "non existent"

Sadly, Butterfly products with the "special market" policy + fixed for local market only policy, makes it unfriendly for consumers.

Source:
My direct dealings with Butterfly, Yasaka, Xiom, Yinhe
My inside knowledge of table tennis in China

Hi Tony,

For many years Butterfly Japan offered a custom blade service on their website where you could specify anything from the blade composition, head and handle size, weight, color of the handle (usually reprising current handle designs but without the badges)... for around $400. Butterfly closed this service to the public sometime last year as many custom blades were often resold online at a huge premium. They currently only offer this service to their top sponsored players and typically list these players as using "Custom ALC blade"...