New Rule: Opportunity to coach between points!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Below is information from an email umpires and referees received regarding a new table tennis rule after Rio 2016.

New rules have been set in place.

'From Oct 2016 coaches will have the opportunity to coach between points.'

Official rule below:

• From 1 October 2016 (after Olympics and Paralympics) coaches will have the opportunity to coach between points. Germany tested this at their league matches with positive results and proposed it to the BOD. After some detailed debate was passed.

How will this work in practice does anyone know? What are your thoughts?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Good rule.

So long as the umpires can still control the regular pace of play this will work.

In amature Korean TT tourneys, teh venue isnt so large, if you are luck the club owner and coach (and hopefully 20 of your TT friends) will be right behind the barriers giving you advice as you pick up the ball.

Sometimes, the coach will shout to you instructions in the middle of the point. That system works there just fine, everyone gets along without an advantaged, provided both sides have a coach shouting instructions.

What makes it unfair is when Der_Echte shows up to cheer for his team. 20 Korean women can make a real racket of noise, but when Der_Echte shows up on the scene with his booming cheering voice of power and original outrageous cheers... it is game over. Der_Echte vs 20 O40 really loud Korean women isn't fair, unless they can quickly bring another 30 of their loud frinds to the fight. Other team simply has to give it up. (The cheering advantage)

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Thats some big news! Need to take some time and think about it but my first thoughts is that it sounds pretty good.

I need to do the same. So basically it means the coach can shout tips to his player. For example, "play to his backhand"... shouting out loud during a set? :)

or it just means... come on you can do this...?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Not a fan of the new rule. I prefer if players earn their victories themselves. One timeout should be enough. TT will become far more robotic.

Thats a good point. It will become more important with a good coach and will take away some of the players own thinking in matches which I think is a bit sad. I think it's very important to learn to think by yourself in matches especially for young players and that will go a little lost with the new rule.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Thats a good point. It will become more important with a good coach and will take away some of the players own thinking in matches which I think is a bit sad. I think it's very important to learn to think by yourself in matches especially for young players and that will go a little lost with the new rule.

Yes, Fan Zhendong looked pretty lost without a coach when Ma Long used effective tactics against him today compared to his game against Timo Boll. Ma Long has improved a huge amount in the mental and tactical area. However, in 2013's WTTC, he was completely lost in the first 3 sets against Wang Hao when WH was ruthlessly attacking ML's weak returns of WH's short reverse serve to the forehand. Compare his performance there to his performance in the previous match against Boll.

It's also really rewarding to win a match after varying something or finding a weakness yourself, even in the amateur level, I won a training-match against someone who plays one league above me by using a very simple tactic. I normally serve using my forehand but I found by varying two types of BH serves (short side-top or side-underspin to the wide forehand) or a fast serve into the elbow, I was able to catch my opponent off guard and it worked!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Terrible rule, more than likely put forward by someone who's never even picked a bat up.
I wish they leave table tennis alone, what else haven't they changed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
If coaches can shout instructions between points, when players collect ball, then what if the ball lands in the net, does the coach still finishes shouting his advice within a few seconds of player collecting the ball? Wouldn't it be unfair for the player if the ball goes right to the barrier then the coach can have more time to explain, whereas if the ball is on the net, then there is less time for coaching? Potentially, player can then purposely hit the ball way over the barrier to gain some advice to save the timeout (pretty exaggerated I know, but hey if there isn't a rule, it is possible) Also, the coach can potentially play with the opponent's mind by shouting directions (e.g. attack his backhand only) then if the opponent can understand, wouldn't it be an additional pressure for the opponent? I am curious as to how it will be implemented.

Reactions: fanTT