Awkward how Pros use others Pros blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
I don't know man, but I feel it is very awkward for one pro to use other pro's blade name on it.

For example:
Kenta Matsuidaira use Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Fang Bo use DHS Long
Koki Niwa use Butterfly Liu Shiwen

Imagine you are playing competitively among your friends and opponents regularly, and you are using a blade with your friend/opponent name on it. Even more funny if there is a picture your friend of it on it... haha, that's really uncomfortable and uncharacteristic... for example, Fang Bo is using a blade with Ma Long face on the bottom of the blade.... http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10424-Fang-Bo-s-Equipment-2015

This user has no status.
This is the most confusing matter in table tennis world, the manufacturers abuse pros' name too much on their blades, especially Butterfly. All the best blades have been put on a name of a pro, so other players have no choice but using those blades. For instance, Ding Ning and Wang Liquin have their own DHS signature blades, but at the end of the day they use Stiga products. Zhang Jike designs his own signature series, and he still prefers Viscaria custom. Same goes in those outfits they wear. In other sports like tennis, it's completely unacceptable. To conclude, it's all about economic benefits, you have to accept it if you want to improve your gameplay.
p/s: shoes and outfits in table tennis are all the worst designs compared to other sports I've played so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: raazzz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
The naming scheme is just to sell products to kids. It's marketing and it works. You can't experience every blade until you finally buy it, at least we have something like tabletennisdb to get some real reviews from actual players. When you think about it most blades across the range ex. OFF+ will be similar in the way they behave between all manufactures. One put carbon fiber sideways, another one glued it few mm deeper, third one tried to sell you a shitty hollow handle, but at the end it's an OFF+ blade. That normally is a good guestimate once you see through the bullshit naming fog. I personally chose as preference to be all wood, made sure the handle was straight, definitely avoided paying full retail price, and I read as many reviews to make sure the stats on the blade are right. Then it's best when you finally try it to be conservative with the mindset it's just another average blade and never the right choice, rather than thinking you have the best most expensive blade in the world and this means you are now a pro caliber player. Of course it's always best to have the right tool for the job which is what we try to achieve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Oh yeah as for Pro's using somebody's equipment and not theirs? Well let's just say that's not the player problem but the manufacture. You do realize people drink water at racing events from RedBull and Monster cans right? This rather shows us the player was never really involved into the manufacturing of the blade. They just show him what they made with his name on it and that he will get % from the sales even if he stops playing right there and then. "Riding on the player's glory". To keep manufactures happy players disguise their professional choice with handles to make it look legit. I'm even surprised they haven't grinded the signs off from the rubber just so nobody has to question them ever what or why they play with.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/smooth-blackwall-tire-sidewalls.378955/ <----- make it happen LOL!

I also agree that TT clothing gear is terrible/boring design wise. I'm the only one in the club that plays with Billabong shorts and Ripcurl Tshirt just to piss everybody off. I think next I will go for a custom shirt or something "Turd Ball Winner" xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
It's not only pros.
I feel kind of awkward using the zjk blade.
Like it forces me to cheer for him when I don't really want to, just because I use his blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Yeah, the choices of good blade without a name is really limited. This leave no option for 2nd tier players such as Kenta, Koki, Fang Bo, and etc... they are "forced" to use them. If they have a choice, between two same blade (one with the name, and one without), I think they will choose the one without the name.

As for Butterfly Super ZJK blade (the most expensive blade), I have tried it and I must say it sucks compares to other blade such as Butterfly Jun Mitzutani and Timo Boll ALC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 9 reviews
Yeah, the choices of good blade without a name is really limited. This leave no option for 2nd tier players such as Kenta, Koki, Fang Bo, and etc... they are "forced" to use them. If they have a choice, between two same blade (one with the name, and one without), I think they will choose the one without the name.

As for Butterfly Super ZJK blade (the most expensive blade), I have tried it and I must say it sucks compares to other blade such as Butterfly Jun Mitzutani and Timo Boll ALC.

Thats true but I don't think they care that much since it's so usual, I think they only care how it plays. Why did you think the super ZJK blade sucked? hard to control?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Thats true but I don't think they care that much since it's so usual, I think they only care how it plays. Why did you think the super ZJK blade sucked? hard to control?

For me (personally), I care a lot about aesthetic especially when it comes to my bread and butter weapon. So, having Ma Long picture at the bottom of my blade (if I am Fang Bo) really turn me off.

As for Super ZJK (Tenergy05 + Tenergy64), below are a few points that I felt after playing with it for 30 minutes lifetime.
1. The blade handle feels shorter compares to Timo Boll ALC and Jun Mizutani.
2. The blade feel weak, hollow, and less solid compares to Timo Boll ALC and Jun Mizutani.
3. The blade handle is awkward and doesn't feel natural in my hand because is wide in the center.

Of all the blades I have ever tried (Timo Boll ALC, Stiga Infinity VPS, Jun Mizutani, Super ZJK, Butterfly Liu Shiwen, and Nittaku Kasumi Basic), I think Butterfly Jun Mizutani is the best. It is the most solid and the handle feels thicker than the rest. There's so much confident when you hold it in your hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I don't know man, but I feel it is very awkward for one pro to use other pro's blade name on it.

For example:
Kenta Matsuidaira use Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Fang Bo use DHS Long
Koki Niwa use Butterfly Liu Shiwen

Imagine you are playing competitively among your friends and opponents regularly, and you are using a blade with your friend/opponent name on it. Even more funny if there is a picture your friend of it on it... haha, that's really uncomfortable and uncharacteristic... for example, Fang Bo is using a blade with Ma Long face on the bottom of the blade.... http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10424-Fang-Bo-s-Equipment-2015
Don't worry until you step into basketball world. Every season they have t least two, three models of new shoes for those star athletes. Each usually cost 1xx to 2xx usd. Except the difference is those athletes do wear the shoes, for marketing of course
I'm also a bit tired of see brands using the pros name over and over again I mean how many Boll and Schlager blades is there, almost hard to keep them apart. I would not say it's awkward since it's so common but I agree that variation of names could be a little bigger.