Question about banana flick return of serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
After watching all the backhand over-the-table banana flick returns at the worlds, it sure looks like they have been further developed. Many returns for outright winners.

Not being anywhere near that level or even able to understand what goes on there, it looks like the incoming spin of the serve is almost irrelevant to this return. The racket speed is so fast, it sure looks like it could overpower most, if not all, of any incoming spin. The only concern would be how the spin affects the bounce and trajectory of the ball, as knowing precisely where the ball is in space would seem to be crucial to make this return work.

Is any of this true? I cannot tell from watching videos, even in slow motion. The stroke sure looks the same no matter what the incoming serve is, but I am probably not able to pick up on the subtleties.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Yes, a lot of players are now using the banana flick. I think sometimes to often, and it becomes a disadvantage as the server reads this play.

I think the players are aware when there is great backspin on the ball, so they make more brush with the flick. When they spot side spin or topspin, they go more forward on the flick.

The pros read serves so well, so they are ready to play there receive quickly and effectively.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Yes, a lot of players are now using the banana flick. I think sometimes to often, and it becomes a disadvantage as the server reads this play.

I think the players are aware when there is great backspin on the ball, so they make more brush with the flick. When they spot side spin or topspin, they go more forward on the flick.

The pros read serves so well, so they are ready to play there receive quickly and effectively.

I went back and watched some highlights, with good slow motion of the serve and return, and I think you are right on the money. Serves with mainly side or top seem to be really ripped, and serves with extensive underspin seem to be spun a bit more, but are still able to be hit really hard.

If this type of serve return continues to be developed by the top players, rallies will become less frequent as returns of serve will win many points. Maybe really short serves will make a comeback.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I went back and watched some highlights, with good slow motion of the serve and return, and I think you are right on the money. Serves with mainly side or top seem to be really ripped, and serves with extensive underspin seem to be spun a bit more, but are still able to be hit really hard.

If this type of serve return continues to be developed by the top players, rallies will become less frequent as returns of serve will win many points. Maybe really short serves will make a comeback.

I agree withyou, not only the Chinese are using this backhand flick, but it seems all top players are incorporating this method of receive of server into their game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
good topic and good replys by everybody here....

the OP asked about the incoming spin

if the server is putting lots of spin, yes.. the banana flick is much easier to execute .

it does seems that if it is pure backspin they tend to do a simple push back but if the pure back spin serve is a touch high or long, then they seem to be able loop it..

if they serve any side spin it can be banana flicked

what i have found out is if were both right handed, and i serve to the short opponents FH and they Banana flick it to my forehand wide, the ball seems to kick into my left side more... so as the server goes, the adjustment of expecting the left side kick return is something i have learned...

i am sure many of you have noticed this or experienced this left kick i am talking about..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I also think the OP is correct in that, if the bounce is read and timed, the stroke has so much acceleration that the spin on the ball is actually irrelevant. Timing and acceleration cancel the incoming spin and create the receiver's spin on the ball.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
That is really true.. Some of the youngsters here almost only play this kind of returns, and that makes the short push return really effective! But of course, on a certain level you have to variate also the returns, or else you'll get destroyed easy.