What table tennis rubbers & blade do you use?

says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
Oct 2010
Blade: Yasaka Max Wood JTTA
Forehand: Butterfly Tenergy 05, 2.1 mm red
Backhand: Butterfly Tenergy 05, 2.1 mm black

says Thanks Dan, Posting of threads understood. :)
Nov 2010
Blade: Butterfly Viscaria FL 92g
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 mm FT
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64 2.1 mm FT

Hi Robin,
I find this very interesting. I've recently (6 months ago) switched to Tenergy 64 (max) on FH from my earlier Tibhar Torpedo.

I wonder sometimes, whether i should have switched to Tenergy 05 instead.

My game has 3 parts: defense from 4 ft away / defence at the table (Phantom 007 on the BH, i'm one of the best in India with this rubber) & attack with Tenergy 64 (late topspin/topspin on the rise/flat finish for a high ball).
Since i'm constantly twirling the racket, i'm able to do all 3 above from both flanks. Its my fate to hear lots of cuss words from my opponents! :)
I even topspin with my Phantom 007 from my FH, a winner every time!

In view of the above styles of play, what would be the difference between Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64 for all 3 positions above. Should i change or not? What will be the trade-off?

I'll be really grateful for your advice as this Tenergy is a bit beyond my budget to experiment with, as i'm now retired from work!

Nov 2010
Hi Cadoce,
I find your post very interesting. I've recently (6 months ago) switched to Tenergy 64 (max) on FH from my earlier Tibhar Torpedo(3 years).

My game has 3 parts: defense from 4 ft away / defence at the table (Phantom 007 on the BH(>10 years), i'm one of the best in India with this rubber) & attack with Tenergy 64 (late topspin/topspin on the rise/flat finish for a high ball).
Since i'm constantly twirling the racket, i'm able to do all 3 above from both flanks. Its my fate to hear lots of cuss words from my opponents! :)
I even topspin with my Phantom 007 from my FH, a winner every time! It's great to watch the opponent's face when i do that! :)

In view of the above styles of play, what would be the difference between Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64 for all 3 positions above. Should i change or not? What will be the trade-off?
'
I''ll be really grateful for your advice as this Tenergy is a bit beyond my budget to experiment with, as i'm now retired from work!
'/
By the way, i use the 729 Two-speed carbon ply as that gives me a lot of pluses: I get a better wrap effect with the 007, i get a differential speed between the 007 & the Tenergy when i attack, i get excellent drop blocks with the 007.

I'm seriously considering changing from 007 to get a little more punch in my LP shots. I've shortlisted the following rubbers: Cloud & Fog III (good spin reversals & wobble effect but short life), / DoubleFish 1615 Powerplay (O, very soft small dia pimples, good spin reversal and control in attack, consistency / Tibhar GrassD Tec5 (also soft LP, similar to 1615, but a little less consistency in attack but more control in block defence and chop)

Is there any other ply with sufficient speed in attack like a 729 2speed carbon. This blade is no longer available in Bombay due to lack of demand! I heard that Stiga has a one-side carbon ply with good attack possibilities. Price here is around Rs. 2500 (Rs 45=1 US$)

Looking forward to more of your posts. Its refreshing to read intelligent posts like yours. :)
Regards,
Deepak Dudhane

Nov 2010
Hi yellow-strike

Can you explain why you use Tenergy 64 on the FH and Tenergy 05 on the BH?
Most players use Tenergy 05 for the FH and Tenergy 64 for the BH.
I'm very interested in your reasons for your choice.
What exactly do you feel about these two rubbers? How long have you used this combination? What has been the benefits to your game and has there been any dis-advantages in doing this?

Glad to know you are enjoying your TT. That is of utmost importance. :)

Nov 2010
I used to use a Stiga Clipper with Tenergy 05. I have tried a lot of blades. Any time someone has a blade that is one of the hot new ones like the Timo Boll ALC or ZLC I see if I can get them to let me try it. A few months ago it was recommended for me to use the same rubbers with a slower blade that had more control and more dwell time so I could get more spin on my loops and short game. When I did that, it took a very short time (an hour or so training with the new set up, to get used to it) for my level to jump considerably. At first I did not have as much power and speed on my shots, but I could get a lot more spin on the ball and place the ball with much more accuracy. It also forced me to take a fuller stroke so my strokes improved very quickly after I changed setups. The end result was that, once I was really used to it, I no longer miss the extra speed and power at all because my strokes are so much better.

The person who made this recommendation gave me a Butterfly Primorac (5 plys, all wood, rated offensive minus). It has more than enough speed, especially when you add the speed and spin of tenergy. And I can feel the ball on the racket for so much longer when I hit my shots. In USATT rating I am about 1600/1700. I think a good offensive player will do well with a slower blade until their rating is around 2000/2100 and then the faster blades make more sense for the development of your game.

Also, I like all wood blades. You can feel what you are doing with the ball while it is on the racket much better with an all wood blade than with a carbon blade. I love the way some of those carbon combo blades like ALC or ZLC feel and they really do let you keep a high level of speed while keeping really good dwell time. But, even though you do not lose the control or the dwell time and you have all the speed, I feel like you cannot feel the ball on the racket quite as well with that kind of blade as you can with an all wood blade.

I have a feeling that the next world champion will be using one of those new technology composite blades. But so far, I do not think there has been one world champion who used a blade with Carbon or another composite in it. Person, Waldner, Gatien, Kong, Guoliang, Liqin, Hao, I believe they were all using wood when they won. I think this is interesting.

I recently used a Cornilleau Hinotec All+ and it was amazing. More than enough speed and power and I don't think I have felt any blade with as much dwell time or control. It had this great springy quality where you could feel the ball sink in, stay and then jump out with this nice snap that I love like a good Swedish blade. I will probably switch to that at some point. I would do it right off the bat but what I have is really quite good for me.

My setup:

Butterfly Primorac Off-
Tenergy 05 on both sides.

Hi Carl,
I'm shocked at the discovery that no world champion uses carbon ply! Dan, if you're reading this, can you throw some more light on this. Maybe, a list of world champions with the blade and rubber combinations they used at that time, would be helpful though it might be a challenge to collect that kind of information!

Carl,
wish you all the best in your rise up the rankings!
Regards
DD

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi Robin,
I find this very interesting. I've recently (6 months ago) switched to Tenergy 64 (max) on FH from my earlier Tibhar Torpedo.

My game has 3 parts: defense from 4 ft away / defence at the table (Phantom 007 on the BH, i'm one of the best in India with this rubber) & attack with Tenergy 64 (late topspin/topspin on the rise/flat finish for a high ball).
I even topspin with my Phantom 007 from my FH, a winner every time!

I'll be really grateful for your advice as this Tenergy is a bit beyond my budget to experiment with, as i'm now retired from work!

Hey ddudhane

Your game sounds very effective and entertaining!

I have tried both tenergy 05 and 64 on the forehand, what I found was a number of differences. The tenergy 64 is slightly softer then the 05 so your able to have that bit more control and less effort to get the ball on the table. I personally think it also has a little bit less spin this the 05 to. But never the less 64 is a great rubber, Jun Mizutani is using it and he is fantastic! Jun goes back from the table a lot, so he needs this sort of rubber as it gives him feeling away from the table. If he used Teneregy 05 with his game he would really struggle.

I think this would be the same in your case. As your a defender, you will need some control away from the table on your forehnad. I.e. Topspin way back from the table on the forehand. I dont think you need an attacking rubber like the 05 on the forehand like an up to the table attacker would use. As you say your doing very well with the 64 so dont change it. If things are going bad then make a change.

iTT

This user has no status.
Blade: Yinhe Carbon T-2
FH: Haifu Whale
BH: Butterfly Sriver

I'm a Penholder so I really want to develop my RPB, however while deciding on whether to change my rubbers, I wanted to keep the Haifu Whale but because the it's very heavy I'm struggling to find a rubber to compensate for that on the BH. I did have DHS G666 for the BH but that definitely added too much weight to the bat.

Last edited:

Don

This user has no status.

Don

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
i got one of those preassembled paddles when i was an intermediate player it was the dhs 5002 with hurricane III on the backhand and hurricane II on the forehand it works pretty good but the blade is kind of sharp hurts while doing a RPB may have to sand it down so i don't get callouses on my fingers. Anyone recommend a good blade for a penholder?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Always used Mark V until 2 months ago when I changed to Stiga Calibra LD and Tenergy 05 which as you may well know, both are very fast. Friends have tried my new found bat with these rubbers on but they all say too fast for them (unless they are used to this type)