I have a serve question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 3 reviews
If you throw the ball up it counts. Doesnt matter you dont make any arm movement or swing at the ball the point will go to the opponent.

But on amature level most players think when you dont swing at the ball and catch it it doesnt count.

Thanks for clearing that up, I have seen this happen quite often in the league.

Last edited:
see section 2.06 and 2.10 of the ittf handbook for the official rules :

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html

tldr : the service starts with the ball in the palm of your hand, if you miss or do not hit the ball after you have thrown it up you have not completed the serve and hence you will lose the point. enforcement of the rules will vary ...

If you throw the ball up it counts. Doesnt matter you dont make any arm movement or swing at the ball the point will go to the opponent.

But on amature level most players think when you dont swing at the ball and catch it it doesnt count.

this usually happens because there are distraction so he needs to cancel the serve and catch the ball

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What the OP describes is clearly an attempt at a serve, so of course he would lose the point catching the ball if there wasn't a let condition happening.

I would propose an alternate way to test the lighting condition would be to leave the bat on the table far away next to the net and do a couple ball tosses from the serve position.There is NO WAY someone could say that was a serve attempt with a straight face unless they were a sociopath trouble maker on the wrong meds and too many missed meals.