TT Myth Busters

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
TT myths that need to be busted.

1. rubbers or blades have power. They don't. You do. Blades and rubbers are inanimate objects that won't move without some outside force. People generate power.

2. rubbers or blades have control. They don't. You do. You control the stroke.

3. SP have a sink ball effect. Well they do but you can duplicate the same effect with inverted rubbers. There is no force or impulse a SP can generate that an inverted rubber cannot.

4. hard rubbers are faster than soft rubbers or the other way around. It is more complicated than that. People talk about how springy a sponge is and that is a good indications of how fast the rubber is but it is really the internal damping. If there are any mechanical engineers here they know about the mass on a spring with a dashpot for damping. No one mentions the damping and damping is important..

5. Thick rubbers are faster than slower rubbers. Rubber doesn't generated energy. It absorbs energy. Given the same stroke a thinner rubber will be faster.

6. LPs generate wobble balls. There is no wobble force generated by a paddle or rubber. LPs do generate a higher percentage of dead balls than inverted but basically there is no force an LP can generate that an inverted rubber cant. Inverted rubbers should be able to generate wobble balls too but there is no wobble force. If a ball appears to wobble it is caused by the ball being moved by air currents or eddies around the opponent. It has nothing to do with the rubber or blade because the paddle has no effect on the ball after it has left the paddle.

7. Dwell time is not long. Dwell time is very short. It is on the order of a millisecond to millisecond and a half. I have high speed videos to prove it.

8. Accelerate through the ball to increase dwell time or hold the ball on the paddle. Yes, it does increase dwell time but on the order of a few micro seconds.

9. Heavier blades are faster all other things being equal. Yes but after the paddle gets to be about 160 gm the increase per gram diminishes rapidly. If a heavier paddle is faster then why not play with a 300 gm paddle.

10. The flooring under the table makes a difference to the bounce. It does but like myth 9 the effect is so small that one couldn't measure it.

11. Rubbers are tensioned. What a joke.

Let the heated discussions begin!!!!
The rest should just sit back and enjoy the thread.

Musicians have their myths too and are gullible.
https://youtu.be/4xgx4k83zzc

This is like rating a blade or rubber at 10+++

Izra, did I miss anything?
Feel free to add other myths that I may have missed.

The part on rubber tickness is far more complicated than what is explained (in fact, it depends of the stroke and I suppose that the OP only speaks for common offensive backsides here....and it is still not true).

The part on the blade weight makes no sense. the ratio Cinetic energy/mass is LINEAR, speaking about a non linearity above 160 gramms makes no sense. Why people don't play with 300gr blades ? Because the speed is also part of cinetic energy (the ratio is not linear btw) and if you lose much speed, despite the increased mass, you will lose cinetic energy.

Also, it is not like the players are looking for the fastest blade, else most pro players wouldn't play with ALC or Clipper blades, since there are much much faster blades.

What we usually call "control" is the sensitivity to incomming speed/spin and the linearity of a blade/rubber (linearity is not the good word here, the idea is that a small change of the stroke doesn't result in a big change on the result), but also for blades it is linked to the sweet spot of a blade (same idea here : a small change to the impact point doesn't result in a big change on the result).

The is why, usually, slower blades are are rated with better control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and izra
This user has no status.
you right about everything BUT... a lot of this stuff is just a matter of terminology. if SP rubbers have on average a different trajectory with the same stroke as inverted (and of course they do because there is less spin), one can say that they do have a "sink ball effect" compared to inverted.

different blades give different feedback every time you hit the ball. you feel the blade vibrate and some blades feel harder or softer than others. this feedback can make you get used to hitting the ball at different speeds sooner and your consistency goes up because your brain has more variables to work with. also the slower a blade is the easier it gets to land shots on the table. so subjectively speaking you can say some blades have better control than others.

as for sponge thickness, i would say a thicker sponge gives the topsheet more room to distort so at least it should cause an increase in spin.

the wobble effect is quite interesting for me, because almost every player i know claims to have seen it a lot of times when playing against long pips. "DID YOU SEE HOW THIS ONE FLEW LEFT AND RIGHT?!" being the usual example just after they miss a ball... except nobody else has seen it but them and it has never been caught on camera.

so how come? i believe it's a trick that the brain plays on us when we play. on most shots we don't actually follow the ball with our eyes during it's whole flight, but our brain predicts the path based on our opponents stroke and the beginning of it's flight path. this can only come with experience after thousands of different situations that our brain gets used to. so when LP rubbers come into play, a same pattern creates a different result (because of different spin) but our brain still tries to predict the way it's used to... i believe the "wobble" is actually an illusion that results from our brain making the split second correction when our eyes catch the ball flying or bouncing differently than our brain was telling us it would based on experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: agold and BeGo
This user has no status.
Wobble ball he is correct in his explanation it is when you hit a ball with no spin and the turbulent air currents in the room move it. If you don't believe it look up football knuckle balls. It's the same idea but the bigger ball and larger movement is easier to see

nope, table tennis balls would have to travel at very high speeds for that to happen and usually there are no air currents in closed halls. if your theory were true you could produce a wobble ball fairly consistently just by hitting the ball around with no spin.

Its not easy to generate no spin. If you have some basis in physics, read some litterature about the magnus effect. The table tennis ball is submit to magnus effect and (almost) everything about the relation between trajectory and spin is caused by the magnus effect for our beloved table tennis balls.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
1. rubbers or blades have power. They don't. You do. Blades and rubbers are inanimate objects that won't move without some outside force. People generate power.

This is half myth. The nearest I can think for power is Coefficient of Restitution. Blade and rubber have C.O.R., but no one measure it officially for a moment

2. rubbers or blades have control. They don't. You do. You control the stroke.

Yes. I prefer to measure control as, number of player that says this blade or rubber controllable per 100 player. :)

3. SP have a sink ball effect. Well they do but you can duplicate the same effect with inverted rubbers. There is no force or impulse a SP can generate that an inverted rubber cannot.

Yes

4. hard rubbers are faster than soft rubbers or the other way around. It is more complicated than that. People talk about how springy a sponge is and that is a good indications of how fast the rubber is but it is really the internal damping. If there are any mechanical engineers here they know about the mass on a spring with a dashpot for damping. No one mentions the damping and damping is important..

Yes, ironically. :)

5. Thick rubbers are faster than slower rubbers. Rubber doesn't generated energy. It absorbs energy. Given the same stroke a thinner rubber will be faster.

Yes. :)

6. LPs generate wobble balls. There is no wobble force generated by a paddle or rubber. LPs do generate a higher percentage of dead balls than inverted but basically there is no force an LP can generate that an inverted rubber cant. Inverted rubbers should be able to generate wobble balls too but there is no wobble force. If a ball appears to wobble it is caused by the ball being moved by air currents or eddies around the opponent. It has nothing to do with the rubber or blade because the paddle has no effect on the ball after it has left the paddle.

Yups, this about ?games? from eye and mind. Terminal velocity of 40 mm ball is quite high, so I dont think current crop of player able to attain that. :)

7. Dwell time is not long. Dwell time is very short. It is on the order of a millisecond to millisecond and a half. I have high speed videos to prove it.

Yes

8. Accelerate through the ball to increase dwell time or hold the ball on the paddle. Yes, it does increase dwell time but on the order of a few micro seconds.

Yes

9. Heavier blades are faster all other things being equal. Yes but after the paddle gets to be about 160 gm the increase per gram diminishes rapidly. If a heavier paddle is faster then why not play with a 300 gm paddle.

Err, no, the other way around. Lower mass raise hand speed, ultimately raise momentum.

While true that momentum is speed * mass, player need force to move the blade, speed ^ 2 * mass, and there is a ceiling for force that can be applied. That is why in golf we concern to lower mass, cause the increase in swing speed raise momentum more than weight. This should also goes true for table tennis. :)

10. The flooring under the table makes a difference to the bounce. It does but like myth 9 the effect is so small that one couldn't measure it.

Yes

11. Rubbers are tensioned. What a joke.

Yes, this is quite an old superstition. But yes, the C.O.R. may be changed by boosting or any other process.

Let the heated discussions begin!!!!
The rest should just sit back and enjoy the thread.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Wobble ball he is correct in his explanation it is when you hit a ball with no spin and the turbulent air currents in the room move it. If you don't believe it look up football knuckle balls. It's the same idea but the bigger ball and larger movement is easier to see

The wobbling ball phenomenon is also very well known in soccer/ football (edit: or even better: volleyball) You can go ask any goalkeeper (or volleyballplayer). Most oft them know this very well.... And couple of weeks ago i played vs a LP Player and a teammate watching the match came to me after the game, that he had never seen a ball behave and fly like this before.... I didn't even realize, cause i was so focused in playing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
This forum seems to be smarter than the other ones.

Killerspintt is right the non-linear effect of adding mass to get more speed
scroll down to the speed after impact section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution.
There are ratio in the formula like MassOfTheBall/(MassOfTheBall+MassOfThePaddle). The mass of the ball is 2.7 gm. The ratio doesn't increase by 25% if the mass of the paddle is increased from 160 gm to 200 gm.

Izra, it is easy to make the sink ball effect with regular inverted. Actually there is no sink ball force. The ball simply can't be hit as hard without top spin or it will go off the end of the table whereas a loop will drop. Basically the ball hit by a SP just slows down and drops due to gravity. I can readily achieve this effect with my BH. I mix up top spins and sink ball shots. Mostly it screwing up the opponents timing but the slower sink shot will allow a good opponent to kill the ball if he can adjust.

Yes, a thicker sponge does give the top sheet more ability to distort if you swing faster tangentially to the ball. With the same speed of stroke there will be little difference or the thinner rubber will be faster. PathFinderPro/Debater made a YouTube video on this. You have to remember that sponge doesn't generate power or energy. Also, when the ball hits the rubber the ball will stop for an instant relative to the rubber. Then the rubber rapidly restores itself to its normal shape pushing the ball. The key here is that some of the energy is lost in internal friction and some energy is required to move the mass of the sponge itself. What is left goes back to the ball.

passifid, base balls have seems that deflect the air around the ball and make the flow uneven. TT balls better be round and smooth.

Terminal velocity is the velocity a TT ball achieves when dropped from a high place. It is about 8 m/s. BTW, the TT ball slows down by a factor of 2 for every 5 meters it travels assuming no other forces are acting on it.

BeGo, the COR is not a measure of power. It is a measure of how elastic the collision is.
I agree that some rubbers and blades make it easier to control the ball but the rubber and blade do no have control.
If I hand my paddle to Dan my paddle doesn't instantly gain or lose control. Dan has his ability to control my paddle and I have mine.

Heavier blades, I said all things being equal but I should have been more specific. If the power used is equal then heavier blades are slower. If the paddle speed is equal then the heavier blade will result in a slightly faster ball but it is a small percentage and it isn't linear as mentioned above.

The flooring issue. In theory the flooring makes a difference but the ratio of the mass of the table to the ball is so great that the difference is extremely small. There is no way a player can tell the difference. There are too many other variables that would have a bigger effect. I bet there are bigger differences in bounce due to the inconsistency of the TT table.

I think you seriously missunderstand something. I don't know where to start to explain it and I'll try to be as simple as possible without entering the details. You are speaking about the formula giving va and vb when knowing the COR (Cr) and the mass of various objects..........

this one :
1432147752-cor.png

........changing the mass is changing also the COR, why are you assuming that the COR will be unchanged ? This makes no sense, of course a 95gr viscaria will have higher COR than a 80gr one (most of time, you will always find me a 95gr ultra soft viscaria with a low COR).

Yes you are right, if you find me a bat of 160gr that has the same COR than a 200gr one, indeed the increaseof speed wont be as much as the weight increase............but........this is assuming that the two bats have the same COR, why do you think that the COR of a 95gr viscaria is the same as a 80gr one ? Because I tell you : it's not, not the same at all.

I hope I made it clear, because it's not easy to explain some simple things sometimes.
But this formula is showing you that even if you find a viscaria of 60gr with an insane COR, matching the COR of a 100gr viscaria blade, you will still LOSE speed. This formula derivated from the concervation of momentum is showing use the very high importance of the mass indeed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Why do we have to worry so much about physics in table tennis???
I prefer playing and experiencing the above first hand,even if it contradicts some of the above statements.
You don't worry about physics. My goal was to debunk TT myths that seem to propagate on the forums.
There needs to be one forum that knows the difference between myth and reality.

I believe that the more mass a blade has,the more momentum,given the equation(P=m.v),therefore faster.
Ooops, you step in it. This is why you need to understand physics.
Now work through the equations for the speed after impact in the link I posted above. You will see that increasing the weight of the paddle may add a fraction of a percent to the speed after impact if that. The point Killerspintt was trying to make is that increasing the weight of the paddle may reduce the speed or v term more than the m term in your P=m*v equation resulting in less momentum to start with.

If a train or tank hit a TT ball at 80 kph the ball wouldn't go any faster than if you hit the ball at 80 kph. There would be only a small difference in the 5th or 6th decimal point.

TRY IT! Work through the speed after impact formula and assume you have a 1 Kg paddle and tell us how much faster it is than a 200 gm paddle. It won't be 5 times faster. It may be 0.05% faster and the extra energy required isn't worth the increase in speed. TRY IT!

I wont even speak about the fact that the COR, for a given blade, is absolutely not a constant. For, taking measures at slow speed, a Calibra LT speed will have higher COR than a calibra LT+, but at high speed the COR of calibra LT+ is of course higher.

COR is not a constant for our table tennis rackets. And here we are absolutely not speaking about the real cinetic energy of the ball, taking in account spin....we must add 0.5j*teta? to the equations and using models of collisions without frictions like those previous formulas, it's formulas for collision between particules, indeed without any friction.........it's indeed wrong from the start since friction is so much important in table tennis.

edit, here is an article I have actively participated to write (not finished yet), speaking this time of the rebound on the table (and thuus determine how to "exploit" it), but its written on French and of course far from being completed : http://fr.wikiversity.org/wiki/Tennis_de_table/Annexe/Mod?lisation_du_rebond_sur_la_table

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and Der_Echte
This user has no status.
you right about everything BUT... a lot of this stuff is just a matter of terminology. if SP rubbers have on average a different trajectory with the same stroke as inverted (and of course they do because there is less spin), one can say that they do have a "sink ball effect" compared to inverted.

different blades give different feedback every time you hit the ball. you feel the blade vibrate and some blades feel harder or softer than others. this feedback can make you get used to hitting the ball at different speeds sooner and your consistency goes up because your brain has more variables to work with. also the slower a blade is the easier it gets to land shots on the table. so subjectively speaking you can say some blades have better control than others.

as for sponge thickness, i would say a thicker sponge gives the topsheet more room to distort so at least it should cause an increase in spin.

the wobble effect is quite interesting for me, because almost every player i know claims to have seen it a lot of times when playing against long pips. "DID YOU SEE HOW THIS ONE FLEW LEFT AND RIGHT?!" being the usual example just after they miss a ball... except nobody else has seen it but them and it has never been caught on camera.

so how come? i believe it's a trick that the brain plays on us when we play. on most shots we don't actually follow the ball with our eyes during it's whole flight, but our brain predicts the path based on our opponents stroke and the beginning of it's flight path. this can only come with experience after thousands of different situations that our brain gets used to. so when LP rubbers come into play, a same pattern creates a different result (because of different spin) but our brain still tries to predict the way it's used to... i believe the "wobble" is actually an illusion that results from our brain making the split second correction when our eyes catch the ball flying or bouncing differently than our brain was telling us it would based on experience.

The 'wobble balls' are nu illusion. If the ball has little to no spin at all it wil wobble through the air. Just like a wobble ball in football.