Fang Bo Backhand Grip

This user has no status.
Hi guys! I was just wondering about how fang bo's grip on doing his backhand topspin.
The he do it is that shakehand players usually have their pointing finger on the rubber, but fang bo has its finger on the handle as if he is holding a gun's trigger.
What do you think about this? Is this a good innovation on modern table tennis? Is there anyone who has a weird grip on it too? Share your insights mates!

This user has no status.
fang-bo-12188969.jpg

says Aging is a killer
I had a similar type grip. It allows for more wrist rotation and a whippy action. But there's far less control.
But I do notice that his pointy finger is very flat against the blade face which is good for control.
Ben Larcombe spoke about this on one of his recent videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmiller2233
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Persson and Karakasevic have different but related grips.

Completely agree with NextLevel. Persson and Karakasevic also use such kind of grip. However, don't you think that keeping the wrist, forearm and shoulder relaxed and holding the bat loose with forefinger and thumb as a support really helps in performing all the strokes?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Completely agree with NextLevel. Persson and Karakasevic also use such kind of grip. However, don't you think that keeping the wrist, forearm and shoulder relaxed and holding the bat loose with forefinger and thumb as a support really helps in performing all the strokes?

When you start young, almost no matter what you do, as long as you have high level coaching and talent, you usually end up good and relaxed. How you hold the racket is also a personal thing. But the wrist, forearm and shoulder are relaxed on all effective technique. Using two fingers is just one of many effective relaxed grip techniques. If not, penholders would never be able to play.

Most of what I speak/write about is from the perspective of an adult trying to learn the sport in older age. Adults think too much and focus on hitting the ball on the table rather than developing good strokes so they don't relax and let their bodies naturally learn and perform. So sometimes, you have to give them shortcuts to force them to do what you want. Using two fingers to grip the paddle is one way.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When you start young, almost no matter what you do, as long as you have high level coaching and talent, you usually end up good and relaxed. How you hold the racket is also a personal thing. But the wrist, forearm and shoulder are relaxed on all effective technique. Using two fingers is just one of many effective relaxed grip techniques. If not, penholders would never be able to play.

Most of what I speak/write about is from the perspective of an adult trying to learn the sport in older age. Adults think too much and focus on hitting the ball on the table rather than developing good strokes so they don't relax and let their bodies naturally learn and perform. So sometimes, you have to give them shortcuts to force them to do what you want. Using two fingers to grip the paddle is one way.

Alright guy, you should be pounding the LIKE button on NextLevel's post because this is a great freakin' post.

This user has no status.
As usual, grip issue.

I play with very difficult or weird grip, and the more i play in that club, the more opponents trying to be coaches on me, in fact yesterday i was there and i felt like i am the only beginner there and all are became coaches, i decided either to stop going there to not be embarrassed, or to have training with a coach which is not possible at the moment.

When i saw this thread and saw his grip, i feel it is about how i can relax with any grip i can use if i can play well even if i lose, i may try his grip, it may solve my weird grip, i was thinking to change to penhold style, but it will be like i will start over again.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Talking to Brett a lot tends to rub off on you (me)...

Yep. You presented some really good info and Brett Clarke has top quality info.

But that was a really insightful statement.

More of you guys should hit the like button for NextLevel's post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi guys! I was just wondering about how fang bo's grip on doing his backhand topspin.
The he do it is that shakehand players usually have their pointing finger on the rubber, but fang bo has its finger on the handle as if he is holding a gun's trigger.
What do you think about this? Is this a good innovation on modern table tennis? Is there anyone who has a weird grip on it too? Share your insights mates!

After looking at this closely, I think this is Fang Bo's grip period. I don't think he switches as much as other players between FH and BH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
After looking at this closely, I think this is Fang Bo's grip period. I don't think he switches as much as other players between FH and BH.

Well, if you look at the grip, it is kind of a forehand grip. It is turned for the forehand. But he has turned his wrist for hitting the backhand. So, it would make sense that he doesn't change the grip much for hitting the forehand. The interesting thing is that he can hit the backhand well with that grip. But he is definitely a forehand dominant player. And one of the reasons he has trouble staying at the highest levels is that he wants to turn to his forehand so much that he often is doing that from a bad position that higher level players can capitalize on. And he often gives up easy points as a result.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, if you look at the grip, it is kind of a forehand grip. It is turned for the forehand. But he has turned his wrist for hitting the backhand. So, it would make sense that he doesn't change the grip much for hitting the forehand. The interesting thing is that he can hit the backhand well with that grip. But he is definitely a forehand dominant player. And one of the reasons he has trouble staying at the highest levels is that he wants to turn to his forehand so much that he often is doing that from a bad position that higher level players can capitalize on. And he often gives up easy points as a result.

Its actually far more neutral than you might think. I switched to something very similar recently. We can discuss later today.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl