Should i choose STIGA Clipper?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks UpSideDownCarl for the advise!!!

Definitely your diagnostic is correct; I'm hitting a fair amount of flat hits, it has become sort of a trademark in my game!!!

After your advise I finally settled for BTY Petr Korbel, and Tibhar Evolution MX-P & EL-P.

I won't be able to test this set up, as I'm ordering from the US; while I'm in Guatemala. A friend of mine will bring it to me around Aug 14th.

I'll report back results then.

Again thanks for the advise. [emoji4]

I guess the Clipper will have to wait for a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that will be a good setup for you. Those rubbers are great and the blade should go nicely with them for you. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MQ OP, the Korbel with MX-P and EL-P will be fine. You could do well with FX-P on one side as well. It is a matter of how you impact the ball and what kind of speed and spin component you want. Too many ways to impact the ball and we all do it different given different incoming balls. I think FX-P works well with more flexy/dwell blades then MX-P. (which I think works best of stiff composite blades)

Reactions: mquevedof
says Aging is a killer
Unless you are a pro or semi-pro or a very finicky player, a sheet of Tenergy should last a whole season. Experimenting with other rubbers can prove very frustrating and more expensive as you try to adjust to another brand of rubber. A well kept Tenergy is cheaper in the long run.
I know many high standard players who keep their rubbers for more than a season. They change their Tenergy when they think that it looks so bad that an umpire might refuse to allow it for a match.

This user has no status.
I think that will be a good setup for you. Those rubbers are great and the blade should go nicely with them for you. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Hello UpSideDownCarl,

As promised I'm reporting back on my latest equipment selection, guided by you and some others in the forum.

Petr Korbel BTY, Tibhar Evol MXP @BH & Tibhar Evol ELP @FH before playing with Patrick Baum Spirit Blade (Alc).

After the adjustment period here are some observations: my back has improved a 100%. I'm being able to block, and drive a lot easier than before, thanks to the softer rubber and additional dwell time offered by the all wood blade. Nice [emoji2]

On the forehand side I had a bit of a harder time, as before I was accustomed to flat hit most every single ball. Obviously the all wood blade does not offer the support to that kind of game anymore, however is motivating a looping style of game which was one of the primary objectives to change equipment in the first place.

I'm working on my technique to generate more powerful shots. Maybe a faster rubber would have been more appropriate. My feelings on the forehand tough are mixed, as I asked the blade to be sealed, and the rubber has been coming off. I had two re-glue it twice thus far, so here I've had to deal with this element in the mix.

Match results: During practice games last night, I played stronger players, and this time they had a harder time beating me up; results 8-11 or 9-11.

I envision a more balanced and complete game overall with this set up.

Overall pretty happy thus far.

Thanks for the advise!!!

Btw: I have a Patrick Baum blade for sale [emoji2]

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great update.

If you are starting to spin the ball more with the FH that is really a great start. It can feel frustrating because at a certain level smashing the ball, driving the ball and hitting hard with direct contact, can seem effective and you get instant speed without the need for too much technique. But at a certain point, looping becomes much more effective. This is because of the increase in consistency and the ability to place the ball. The consistency is so much higher with a loop than with a flatter hit.

But also, at a certain point you can overpower your opponents with the spin where you just spin them off the table with your loops.

There are times I get a good loop with heavy spin and a player who is much higher level than me still can't get it back because it is too much spin.

And remember spin is one part of the equation of power in table tennis. A fast ball without much spin doesn't feel as powerful as a slow ball that really is loaded with spin.

So keep working on looping with your FH. It will make you a beter overall player. Also, when someone spins heavy on serves, pushes or loops, if you are able to spin well, returning heavier spin is much easier.

So, good work.

Reactions: splasher78
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Yep, all Stiga's handles are hollow. WRB is even more hollow.

Hi Carl,

I've posted here because I'll buy a Clipper, and I have no experience in make changes to blades. And I would like to know how to remove that plastic logo because I would like to add more weight, as my clipper will only have 88g :/ this increased weight, even with added glue wood, would had a better feel? Or the blade will be more balanced? The rubbers that I'll use will be heavy( 729 08 and Tenergy 05 ).

Thanks in advance. ;)

Best regards,
Eduardo Bagarrão

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Any tips on how to adjust to a heavier setup? I have read so many times that 95 gms clipper feels solid and plays good. I agree, but it feels heavy (my whole setup weights 196 gms). If you guys can share some points on how to make transition to heavy setup without getting pain in shoulder and back then it would be great

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Any tips on how to adjust to a heavier setup? I have read so many times that 95 gms clipper feels solid and plays good. I agree, but it feels heavy (my whole setup weights 196 gms). If you guys can share some points on how to make transition to heavy setup without getting pain in shoulder and back then it would be great

You should have picked a slower and lighter blade seriously. The lightest and least head heavy blades are ALL+ blades.

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
You should have picked a slower and lighter blade seriously. The lightest and least head heavy blades are ALL+ blades.
Ok, that address the weight issue. And yes, you are right. ALL+ are relatively light weighted and more balanced towards the center. However, I don't think that I am alone who has tried transitioning to a heavier setup and failed. So, in concept I agree with you but I still would like to hear from other players how they adopted their technique and swing in tandem with heavier setup.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Ok, that address the weight issue. And yes, you are right. ALL+ are relatively light weighted and more balanced towards the center. However, I don't think that I am alone who has tried transitioning to a heavier setup and failed. So, in concept I agree with you but I still would like to hear from other players how they adopted their technique and swing in tandem with heavier setup.

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Put a grip tape or overgrip on the handle. Usually it isn't the weight, it's the balance. You don't have to go all beast-mod on your blade to fix the balance. A few grams in the handle helps a lot.