Footwork exercices

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is good to be able to do all the standard footwork drills like a 2 point drill, 1-2-3-2-1, 1-2-3-1, 1-3-2-1, Faulkenberg, and all kinds of backhand forehand drills. But those are not like what happens in a real match. Random drills get you practicing what you would do in a match. Random drills should be worked on side by side with set drills.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I understand that random drills are the most effective exercices for footwork. However, I think you should first of all learn the basic footwork exercices (read: having quick feet) by doing some off table drills like ropeskipping and else. I heard that ropeskipping would be good to improve your footwork

It's the same as fh-bh drills. First, you have to master the fh and bh topspin/drive before you can do the more difficult drills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
There have been some great posts here Julien. Glad your technique has improved.

Check out youtube for some nice exercises. I like to train irregularly footwork exercises to get it more like a real match.

I suggest a lot of irregular exercises to. This helps transfer your practice into a match easier. I have made an article about this here: http://www.icoachtabletennis.com/motor-learning-block-vs-random-practice-in-table-tennis/

If you are able to get someone to feed you multi ball to that will be of great help. Practice my friend, you will get there in no time!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Things like running and jumping rope will increase your cardio endurance. But things like ladder footwork drills and table tennis shadow footwork drills will help more with the dexterity of table tennis footwork.

Table tennis shadow footwork drills are just like how they sound. You pick any footwork drill and practice it without the ball. You could just do them in front of a table. You can do them without the table. Or, if you have access to a big mirror like in a gym or dance studio, then you could do them in front of the mirror which allows you to see the form of your strokes and footwork. That helps you fix bad form much faster. When you can do them well away from the table, you will be able to do them better with the ball.

Ladder footwork drills: if you are not sure what they are, do a search for ladder footwork drills. You will find many. For table tennis, there are a few that are more important than others because of how they are close to the things you do in real table tennis footwork.

Because you have to take very small, very precise steps in these drills, and because they incorporate changes of direction in a small space and in a precise way, they educate your body in some of the skills you need need for table tennis footwork while increasing your overall strength and cardio endurance.

In my opinion, off the table those two are more important than other cardio like running and jumping rope. But the better shape you are in, the better you will be able to keep your strength while doing the table tennis footwork drills.

Sent from my SpyPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One of the more simple exercises is running up the stairs, taking them one by one. It is very simple, inexpensive, practicable also out of the training unit ;-) yet very effective - especially because it increases something I'd call a "foot-response-time". It increases the frequency and the independence of either of the feet.

I remember an another exercise we did a lot, we called it "the Christmas tree". If you have more tables in a row in your training hall, you can do this easily. It goes like this:

Start at the wall, sprint to the corner of the first table, touch, sprint back to the wall, touch, sprint table 2, touch, sprint back, touch, table 3, touch, and so on, to the very last table. With a little bit of imagination I guess you understand, why it was called "a Christmas tree" . Variations: a) sprint to either of the corners (more intense), b) sprint sideways (very intense), backwards, and so on.

Hey JulienB,

we have recorded some videos during youth training (amateur players!) in our club and uploaded them to youtube. The videos include a lot of footwork drills for multiball practice.
Maybe you can find some helpful exercises: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVnpFnciKxAPpNPbnQa_vwQ

Here are a few exemplary videos:

Examplary video for irregular footwork:

Examplary video for regular footwork:

Examplary video for moving forwards and backwards:

Reactions: JulienB