Bobloiy TTD member wins HUGE at Korean Tourney on US East Coast !!!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Some of you who have been paying casual attention to the stuff I post know I had an important tourney coming up (which is now over) and as always, Der_Echte is there in the middle pimping TT to the hilt.

I saw TTD member Boblioy (remember the couple vids he posted on TTD asking for tips?) the day before in his home club of Han-In NJTTC (New Jersey Korean TTC) and I also saw (and supported) Brian in his matches.

Boblioy (Brian) entered in two events - one at his playing level and one that was TWO levels above his level. I think it was U1050 and U1300, but could have been one level higher, can't remember... Brian can correct this... but IRRELEVANT! Simply winning an event AT your level is tough enough when the field has players who are equally or even moar trained/prepared than you!!! Let alone trying to be even minimally competitive TWO levels higher than your rating !!!

Well, Brian won BOTH his singles events !!!

He had to face the same lobber both times and it made for some exciting prolonged rallies! Brian tried to overpower the lobber after the lobs and mostly failed at that. When Brian decided to do his well trained sudden step around FH, it was a different story, also when he played smarter and used less pace and more angles and sudden speed or change of spin... only then did he get hit points consistently! I dont know if his coach is Lee Byung Chul or KiM Chang Mo (both ex-semi pro players) but his coach has been getting him to be the prototypical FH dominant fast footwork monster player.

We all know it takes MANY months of training to make something you train on work in match play under pressure, so whatever Brian did SIX or EIGHT months prior is what got him to succeed at this level!

Brian's opponents once he reached the knockout stage were NOT push-overs... they all had fight and wanted it.

I embed a few pics I took of Bobloiy below.

I cheered him on from the stands... and I was 4 courts away, and still, his opponents AND his supporters AND the control desk (50 meters away) all had to cover their ears to prevent ear drum damage. This shows what a little cheering support can do to the enemy. Yet, this was only for hte match, the Koreans do not carry it over to after the match, unless they run into me.

Well, enough blabbering, here are a couple pics of Brian (Boblioy) getting his certificates and winners prize (several hundred USD for EACH final victory) ...

OK, cant find the pics of him on the podium, but he posed with me with BOTH of his awards... inside he had some considerable money in checks.

OK, problem uploading... will give links and embed later...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/Willian%20and%20Boblioy%20awards_zpsb5bho3og.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/William%20Memorial%20Day%20Korean%20venue_zpsvilg8jfh.jpg

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
It was actually the U1300 and U1550. The finals were tough; but I think the semifinals of the U1550 was harder. The person I played against had an actual USATT rating of 1700~1800, but he didn't play in any KTTA games recently, which is why his (KTTA) rating was only around 1530. I was quite surprised myself when I won against him, I played the best I did in months.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Here is the thing, a sign of a champion is the willingness to enter (and win) events at his level and be competitive (and it is also nice to win) at ONE level above.

So many USA jokers are out for ratings blood and enter only events way over their head and never learn how to defeat players their level in competition and remain forever weak.

Hmmm. still cannot embed a pic, upload fails each time with 10KB to 80KB files.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Could not agree with you more, they treat their USATT rating as if it was their bank balance :p
Here is the thing, a sign of a champion is the willingness to enter (and win) events at his level and be competitive (and it is also nice to win) at ONE level above.

So many USA jokers are out for ratings blood and enter only events way over their head and never learn how to defeat players their level in competition and remain forever weak.

Hmmm. still cannot embed a pic, upload fails each time with 10KB to 80KB files.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
And since Der_Echte wants to start sum moar shyt around the forum...

Everyone look carefully at the bat in Bobloiy's sig...

Classic OFF+ setup and not an inexpensive one. PUNDITS would gnash their teeth and grimace in mental anguish upon hearing the choice of equipment his coach approves... then pinch their noses in true disgust... then promptly go on a TT forum and vent their rage at the waste of potential growth...

YET... Bobloiy gets lessons and THRIVES using it, as it is suitable for the style of play his coach and Brian want... T05 slows down the Primorac Carbon to actually be a control looping setup on slower swings.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Willian%20and%20Boblioy%20awards_zpsb5bho3og.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Could not agree with you more, they treat their USATT rating as if it was their bank balance :p

Haha, totally agree about the ban balance comparison.

I went on MyTT and advertised and even urged other players to show up to my last several tourneys and take my ratings points. I prolly dropped to mid 1500s level in skill over the last 3-4 months and my tourney rating dropped down to 1750. After almost a week of practice, I feel the true rating is now at least my official rating. When I get back to Boston, AND practice another month or two, it will go up another level.

SO.. I can say MY BALANCE dipped pretty sharply, but it will bounce back a good deal soon. I made it to U1800 final in this tourney and my opponent could have defeated some 2000 level players. I also defeated some very under-rated players convincingly and they wanted to cry foul, but I have a lot of experience playing those styles I defeated... like OX LP on BH for example and I have the spin and change of spin/pace to do that.

I simply had big time problems reading the ball of the U1800 champion... couldn't read his change of hand pressure to save my life, made me look silly.