Best and worst rule changes in the last 20 years?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't like playing to 11, would not mind 15, changing serves each 3. Hidden serve rule as written now is pretty hard to enforce. Worst of all are rules on boosters. In general, I can't say I a very happy about any rules change that occurred after adoption of 40 mm balls, with the exception of banning speed glue. I don't miss that.

Two colors was a good thing. I don't care much one way or the other about frictionless pips.

New balls are of course a really bad thing as they implemented it, but maybe they will suck less as time goes on. I don't mind seamless balls at all.

You mean play to 16 - playing to 15 would not allow deuce to occur with both players having had an equal number of serve opportunities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The question is, is that VOC a chemical transfer by smelling or by touching? i mean if it is about to smell it to make that harm then what if wearing some kind of mask or nose protective so we don't smell it? and put that racket in open air so that VOC can evaporate from what i hear or read of that glue? I started to deal with chemicals once i started to shoot film and develop back 3-4 years ago, some chemicals are very strong smell or odor, and sure some could be hazardous or harmful, but i sometimes try not to smell or put a cloth on my nose or i will buy something to protect me from the smell.

And also my question is still eligible, why can't make speed glue that is VOC-free?
The harm is from smell. Although i not sure about the speed glue smell, but we used to know a number of poor drug abuser always bought the normal glue to smell it to get the same "high" feel as they drinking the coughing medicine, or using the drug.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Rubbers, Same model of rubber on both sides of the bat. They may differ in thickness by say, 0.2mm but that's it.
The benefit is to cut down on errors due to rubber switch/change.
This way we can allow frictionless or whatever but the player must have it on both sides of the bat.

why I don't think this will work:

High ranking players such as MA Long and Xu xin etc will tell DhS to make a rubber with certain characteristics for them,then label it the same as their FH/BH rubber

These companies will be willing to do it,as it will boost their sales in an indirect way

Its the same how you get the national versions of hurricane with blue sponge etc

Last edited:
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
Best: speed glue (rubbers like Adidas TZU SF are pretty close to that magical speed glue feeling when brand-new; and speaking as a chemist, if the same effect can be achieved without VOC, more power to it)

Neutral: change from 21 to 11 (more random but also more exciting; I miss 5 serves in a row as it allowed for more strategy), change to 40/40+ (except for quality issues, I like seamless 40+)

Worst: hidden serve (current rules are impossible to enforce at the amateur level), use of boosters (why are TT manufacturers allowed to use them, but not regular players)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep, 2 serve rule is much better. With 5 serves, one of the problems was, you would have someone with a strong serve win 5 points in a row on his serve and then play solidly on the other person's serve and then the score is 8-2 and the rest of the game is boring. With 2 serves each, if the score gets to be 8-2, it wasn't just because of good serves.

With 2 serves each the strategy has to be different. But, no matter what you do in table tennis there needs to be good strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Okay. That's just one of the best posts I've seen in a long time. So much is gotten across in so few words.

Sent from my Bridge-Phone using Jump-Talk

Nah, Carl just likes posts about people randomly jumping off bridges for no good reason. :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Honestly speaking, 3 weeks ago i went to one center that they have a corner for table tennis playing, and there people playing with 21 points and 5 serve rule, to my surprise, i defeated them with this rule, even the only one who could defeat me twice with 21 points i then played seriously again him and defeated him twice of 21 points game, so to me i can always return or do something or fight if it is 21 points, in the past too during my study i got a 3rd place in a tournament in the university because of this 21 rules and 5 serves.

With new rule of 11 points and 2 serves, i lose more than win, i don't know why, or maybe i feel i don't like quick win from opponents and i am impatient so if i get longer points set i may get serious even if they lead 10-0, but with this 11 points, many times i was leading and lose quick.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Honestly speaking, 3 weeks ago i went to one center that they have a corner for table tennis playing, and there people playing with 21 points and 5 serve rule, to my surprise, i defeated them with this rule, even the only one who could defeat me twice with 21 points i then played seriously again him and defeated him twice of 21 points game, so to me i can always return or do something or fight if it is 21 points, in the past too during my study i got a 3rd place in a tournament in the university because of this 21 rules and 5 serves.

With new rule of 11 points and 2 serves, i lose more than win, i don't know why, or maybe i feel i don't like quick win from opponents and i am impatient so if i get longer points set i may get serious even if they lead 10-0, but with this 11 points, many times i was leading and lose quick.

It is possible that the people who are playing 21 points are not as good. At least in this part of the world, most of the people who are playing to 21 are lower level players, often they don't know that the rules have changed, and the people who play to 11 are usually people who play at a higher level and know the game better.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You mean play to 16 - playing to 15 would not allow deuce to occur with both players having had an equal number of serve opportunities.

Baal's suggestion might be interesting, an imbalance. might make it that much more important to decide to serve first. A new dimension to the game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Baal's suggestion might be interesting, an imbalance. might make it that much more important to decide to serve first. A new dimension to the game.

Are you trying to instigate again?

I've got an idea, whoever serves first gets 3 serves, the other person gets two. Hahaha. And the person who serves first is decided by hairstyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
It is possible that the people who are playing 21 points are not as good. At least in this part of the world, most of the people who are playing to 21 are lower level players, often they don't know that the rules have changed, and the people who play to 11 are usually people who play at a higher level and know the game better.

I may agree that they are might be not good enough playing, but i disagree that they don't know about the new rules or changes, maybe they play with 21 sets to give more people chances to play, mostly with 11 points sets they have to get minimum best of 3, and that may end up with 2-1 which is really long for many players to wait for few tables there, while with 21 set it is like playing 2 sets of 11 in one game, or even 3 if they goes until nearly 20-20, but they do play another places where they apply the rules, i did play against one european man who seems very good at playing, he is not young man, and sounds he sure knows about the new rules or changes, but he accepted to play with 21 as i did, and he was very nearly to beat me but i managed to win.

Actually, i played against some students too in that university about 1 month or little more ago, and i played with 11 points games, and i managed to defeat them all with luck, i always lead first game and win the third if it is be of 3, even when i lose most of the time i take the first set with many opponents i played against, i am talking about those are are nearly my level more or less, i have no match to those higher levels even if i played 21 games not 21 points.

But, i am with all, i also see that 11 points is better than 21, i just wouldn't mind if someone would like to play 21 points with me, i am a flexible player with rules.