Is the new poly ball going to knock tenergy from the top players armoury?

This user has no status.
Whilst eventually giving in to finding a replacement to Tenergy and now using 05 f/h and 05fx b/h on an Zhang Alc blade, I noticed the superb spin capabilities and speed i could generate. Then came the practice session with the new poly balls and it felt like a whole different sport. Whilst using the same bats both me and my training partner, my god it was hard to generate the spin and more so the speed. It felt like no matter what or how much effort i put into my strokes he had no trouble at all countering heavy topspin open-ups. He just smashed through the spin so easy.

Just wondered what other people think of the poly ball, especially those using Tenergy and if the have swapped equipment to compenate. I had an interesting conversation about people (pro) players using the Butterfly Innerforce blades where the carbon layer was closer to the core of the blade, therefore giving more dwell etc etc, anyone tried these innerforce, inner layer blades?

Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 6 reviews
i feel that i can't really get as much spin with the new ball compared to the old one with my Tenergys. The tenergy rubbers are made for the celluloid ball so i don't think it's so weird that it works better with it. To answer your topic i don't really know how many pros that have changed there equipment but i know a few has. it will be interesting to see if there is going to be a big change in the future.

Last edited:
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
When the poly ball arrived, I actually switched TO Tenergy on my backhand to be able to generate more spin than with the Bryce speed I was playing before.. It demanded a little change to my forehand technique though, since I did not change out my T05, but I believe there is no better rubber for me at this moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Tenergy still tenergy, the spin generated on ball still very high. Wr have one player use t80, it is noy eay to loop his ball when he chopped it.

If fact, he jcan ust chop the ball and win the game when he was not in form during that game

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
What kind of poly balls do you people have? For me it's almost no difference, just a little bit less of spin and speed but nothing that could be reason to change equipment. All pro's are still using tenergy because it is still the best rubber that you can find in Table tennis. No matter which ball are you using.

Reactions: mahomedy13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
What kind of poly balls do you people have? For me it's almost no difference, just a little bit less of spin and speed but nothing that could be reason to change equipment. All pro's are still using tenergy because it is still the best rubber that you can find in Table tennis. No matter which ball are you using.
+1
The seamless poly balls play so similar to celluloid that you hardly feel the need to change your equipment

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
In Norway we use the Stiga balls.. The bounce is more even and predictable, but requires a tad of change in technique, but to avoid the big technique changes, I switched from Bryce to Tenergy, so I really feel the Tenergy is still the best rubber :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I saw the Chinese team are switching to more tackier rubbers than Tenergy on the backhand. I think at the moment the best rubber will still be Tenergy for table tennis. Who knows, maybe Butterfly will release something for the plastic ball? Tenergy Plastic :)

Also wondering what their next rubber release will be. Which year came the first Tenergys?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I still like Tenergy but for sure all plastic balls travel a little bit slower and spin a little bit less.

Yes, Tenergy came out in 08

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here is a post I wrote on another site elsewhere:

My second day using Tenergy 05 and MX-S left me far less impressed by MX-S. Let's just put it that way. I was playing a clubmate (and like I may have forgotten to mention earlier, my movement has been getting better and better this week and my knees have actually felt good enough to play without my braces a few times). Well, I thought the match was going like any match I would have played with any rubber ( though the commentary I received was that that was the best match some people had ever seen me play in terms of footwork and third ball attacking) until at a point in the match, he served me half long and I slow looped the ball instead of loop driving it like I usually do and he blocked it off the table. I thought to myself that that was weird and my opponent probably thought the same thing too and served me half long again, and I slow looped again and he blocked it off the table. There was that weird moment of mutual silence where you go in your head: that shouldn't happen but it just did.

It seems that the high throw of Tenergy 05 has different effects on different opponents. Some like the higher ball so they can counterloop it, but others prefer a lower drive as the low arcing drive messes up their timing less.

I looped to my hitting partner and he said that T05 had the weird (probably typical) effect of slowing my loop down that it has on his other friend who is a penholder with a killer forehand (I almost always loop drive in practice). Let's just say that he had more issues blocking my T05 loop than my MX-S loop. The problem is that with T05, it is harder to take spin off the ball, but I will deal with that later.

All I will say is that for now, if anyone tells you that someone has made something as spinny as Tenergy 05 for regular looping, you can send them to the psychiatric ward if they insist upon it. Because it is not true. Maybe at the very high ends, some of the Chinese rubbers do better, but my stroke sure ain't high end enough.