New equipement vs Old School equipement

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi guys!

I know that today we have recent blades, with latest technology, and probably better than old blades. But why most people insist in playing with old blades?(including me xD) for example, i tried a Kong Linghui Special, A Moonbeam, for example... They have a feeling that you dont find in a new blade. And also... Viscaria has M.Maze, TBS, TB ALC, Zhang Jike ALC as sucessors, and why a blade from 1993 gets commercialized again? It shouldn't be a bit "outdated"(I tried it and ordered one as upgrade to my Timo Boll ALC ;D just loved the feeling ) (Sorry for bad english guys!)

Thanks in advance :D

This user has no status.
New Viscarias can be as good as old ones, and most of these blades differ slightly (For example the Maze is not a Viscaria equivalent).

BTY had a good blade, discontinued it for commercial reasons (they tried to reaplce it but failed), and seems to have realised that with the many Pro players still using it, they'd make more money by selling it again.

Blades, unlike rubbers, do not really improve that much that it males a difference. For that matter, if we could still use speed glue, I'd probably still be playing with Mark V.

Since there has not been a significant change in needs for a blade (certainly for pro players) since the introduction of carbon and its derivatives (ZLC, ALC), no need to change. So newer is not better.

Now some wood used in old blades could be better, or the glueing / QC at the time (with fewer blades produced) could be slightly better, but I don't really believe that it makes such a big difference anymore.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Old material is for collectors who wax lyrical about how much better wood was back in the day and how much better old blades therefore feel.
These people pay 300 or 400 Euro for old Stiga blades just to have them. In a closet.

New material is for players who win championships. Could you imagine any top Chinese player´s power balls with a "Holy Grail of Collectors Butterfly Primorac off- made in Japan BLACK TAG silly money paid"?

Take this with a pinch of salt and you are very close to the truth ;-)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't know...I have a friend who is a pro who has 2 Avalox/Nittaku P-700s and one Stiga Clipper all from the early 1990s and they feel better than anything else I have tried. And, yes, he uses them. And, no, he wouldn't sell them. And he got them back then when he was a junior.

One Avalox/Nittaku P-700 is his main blade and the other is his backup. And the Clipper he has set up differently than his main and backup setups for when he is coaching.

And yes, the blades say Avalox and Nittaku on them. Not one or the other but both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Post no. 4 is true
I have a 28yrs old sardius and it has a better ball feel than a rosewood.
Disadvantage of old wood is that it gets brittle so we have to keep it precise so as to avoid hitting the table

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I don't know...I have a friend who is a pro who has 2 Avalox/Nittaku P-700s and one Stiga Clipper all from the early 1990s and they feel better than anything else I have tried. And, yes, he uses them. And, no, he wouldn't sell them. And he got them back then when he was a junior.

One Avalox/Nittaku P-700 is his main blade and the other is his backup. And the Clipper he has set up differently than his main and backup setups for when he is coaching.

And yes, the blades say Avalox and Nittaku on them. Not one or the other but both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know if he still uses it? I'm asking because I'm curious if there's any pros out there these days who are playing with Avalox blades :)

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you know if he still uses it? I'm asking because I'm curious if there's any pros out there these days who are playing with Avalox blades :)

No idea. That post is from 2015. I have not seen that guy since probably 2017.

Last I remember he had been trying out a few blades made for him by BBC (Blades By Charlie). They were composite and they felt really nice. But I am not sure it was going to cause him to change what he used as his main setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: nymose
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I still have 3 number 35yr old blades
2 x Tamca 5000
1 x Grubba

The Tamca’s I don’t really use much, they are fast blades and even faster with rubbers that have catapult/spring spongesk
The Grubba, is all wood and has excellent feel, when I started playing again I bought some more blades, tried them out and kept going back to the Grubba. It just felt ‘right’, felt better than the new blades!!
However, after 14+ new blades I can say that I have / am moving on from the Grubba.

Primorac (Japan version), Nittaku Acoustic are great blades and have good feeling. These replaced the Grubba.

I’ve just started trying the Donic Dotec blades, the handle is great (possibly a Marmite handle, [vegimite/yeast extract] you either love or hate it !!) the Appelgren Dotec Control has great feeling and I’m enjoying playing with it. A sort of down side is that now the 13 + traditional handled blades now just don’t feel very comfortable!!

I now have 2 Dotec Appelgren’s ( the only blade I have bought 2 of, so they must feel good!!
Also just bought a faster version, Ovtcharov Dotec Offensive, just to try a faster version!! Still waiting for the rubbers to arrive to stick on it.

maybe blades are like a good wine and mature with age!!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Old material is for collectors who wax lyrical about how much better wood was back in the day and how much better old blades therefore feel.
These people pay 300 or 400 Euro for old Stiga blades just to have them. In a closet.

New material is for players who win championships. Could you imagine any top Chinese player´s power balls with a "Holy Grail of Collectors Butterfly Primorac off- made in Japan BLACK TAG silly money paid"?

Take this with a pinch of salt and you are very close to the truth ;-)

No they use "Holy Grail National W968"...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Haha this reminds me of the synthesizer forums where people also says that the old analogue synths from the 70's and 80's are the best sounding. That the aging of the components are part of it. And that they all age/sound a little different from the same model. Prices are getting higher and higher, even though that they also gets more dificult to repair.
Some people are being real elitists about these synths.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk