whats you re view on chinese dominance in table tennis?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hey Charlie
I'm from NZ was recently (last week) in the NZ mens tt team at the AUS open, best win vs Binbin Zhu WR 711 I won 3-0 last year.

I think Chinese dominance in table tennis is a good thing for the sport, for a start it now has an enormous following in China, it's the national sport of the largest nation in the world and potentially becoming the most powerful nation in the world. Not only this but the world comes together to back players who perform well against China. Look at it this way, China are blatantly the best in the world, for anyone to beat them they are going to have to be Chinese standard or better, if international players are going to put that effort into training and get that good then we are going to have some pretty sweet international matches on our hands, worth watching for spectators? I think so and what does this sport need? spectators! spectators who pay so we can have more prize money and get more players to compete that's the cycle we need to break into and I think if the rest of the world rise to the challenge we could achieve that. We don't really have any other option, did the world complain when Sweden were dominant in the sport? no they didnt, Waldner was a hero and everyone loved him and still do and he won all the time, all of a sudden theres a negative slant on being too good because it's China? I think the main difference is committment, most of their players stopped being in school when they were incredibly young just to play table tennis every day, thats their level of committment and if that earns them domination in a sport then hell, they have trained harder and longer than others around the world, THEY DESERVE IT!

That's my opinion! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
China dominates the table tennis world because they work hard for it. In China, table tennis is also really popular (why not in Europe? Damn! ^^).
If China continues like that, there will be less and less european players competing against them and the most pro tours will look like a normal chinese tournament :D
And that sucks, because there won't be much variety (defensive players, allrounders and so on) but just the same system, attack versus attack.

Come on the rest of the world and especially Europe, move your ass and do it! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
China dominates the table tennis world because they work hard for it. In China, table tennis is also really popular (why not in Europe? Damn! ^^).
If China continues like that, there will be less and less european players competing against them and the most pro tours will look like a normal chinese tournament :D
And that sucks, because there won't be much variety (defensive players, allrounders and so on) but just the same system, attack versus attack.

Come on the rest of the world and especially Europe, move your ass and do it! :D

hmmm well frankly the difference in variety issue really isn't that big to me. I mean if you look at the players who represent China, they actually are pretty drastically different in terms of strengths and weaknesses and play style.

The main reason why there is less variety than what appears in the european leagues is that once you reach the top levels, a lot of styles are just either obsolete, or their returns on effort are not good. Offensive players will just always generally have an advantage against defensive players, so players in China generally have less reason to try that kind of style because the ceiling on their potential tends to be lower.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Indeed, after a certain level, there's only one style possible..
But wouldn't for example the defensive style also be able to be that high? I think it's also a matter of practice and after a while, your opponents get used to your rubbers. For example, Ma Lin really knows how to play against Joo Se Hyuk (he demolished him during the china open..). For me, it's a lack of practice then I think that a defender should also be a good strategist and always have more than one plan.

Of course, in China, they directly start playing an offensive style. The children don't have any choice. I think China could also make good defenders. Instead of pure offensive players.
For example, I like the defensive style and I would really like to play it but I could never try. (Don't compare me to China please ^^)