says Aging is a killer
France 1:2 victory over Germany... congratulations. Im not wondering anymore why a lot of sports federations did NOT send their players there, if they guessed out that good rules that it is not even allowed to replace an injured player of a team BEFORE the game. I never heard something this stupid. In volleyball or waterpolo or whatever other team competition they are also not just coming to the tournament with the players that are then playing on the field why in table tennis? But indeed Lebesson played well but i think Gauzy was even better but Ovtcharov did not play in his best form

Also think of the paying spectators. Does the ITTF (or is the ETTU?) think that many would travel, then pay to watch that may be over in 20minutes with just one rubber played.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
France 1:2 victory over Germany... congratulations. Im not wondering anymore why a lot of sports federations did NOT send their players there, if they guessed out that good rules that it is not even allowed to replace an injured player of a team BEFORE the game. I never heard something this stupid. In volleyball or waterpolo or whatever other team competition they are also not just coming to the tournament with the players that are then playing on the field why in table tennis? But indeed Lebesson played well but i think Gauzy was even better but Ovtcharov did not play in his best form

I totaly agree with you. It's a stupid rule!
Even if I'm french massa ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I just watched a interview after the game germany vs france ovtcharov was really mad about the rules and said "we didnt lose because they were better, we lose because some guys think they can make stupid rules" he also said " if football squads would have 13 players during a wolrd cup and 4 players get injured they could not replace players would make no sense"
Sorry for my bad english :D
This explains me why he was pissed of on all his games in Baku against france.

This user has no status.
aha and knowing that you cant replace a sick player prevents sickness or what? im telling you what that means for these games, such rules. it means that NO top-athlet will join this bullsht competition anymore. These games are not necessary for them and if these games will take place a second time you will not see ovtcharov, boll or baum taking part in it anymore. That is what i am predicting

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Also think of the paying spectators. Does the ITTF (or is the ETTU?) think that many would travel, then pay to watch that may be over in 20minutes with just one rubber played.
The rules have nothing whatsoever to do with the ITTF or ETTU in this case.
The European Games are organised by the European Olympic Committee and are played according to their rules which are the same as the Olympic rules.

Reactions: iHatePONGPING
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
someone found any Videos of the first match of Germany? It would be ver interesting to see the video i want to see the reaction of the Swedens when they recognize that timo boll was not playing.
According to Swedish sites, Sweden didn't know that Boll wouldn't play until the doubles were about to start. That's the first they heard about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
aha and knowing that you cant replace a sick player prevents sickness or what? im telling you what that means for these games, such rules. it means that NO top-athlet will join this bullsht competition anymore. These games are not necessary for them and if these games will take place a second time you will not see ovtcharov, boll or baum taking part in it anymore. That is what i am predicting
I agree that these games are not necessary in Europe. I think the European Games are a political construct. Europe already has the European Championships, but they are run by the respective European Associations for each sport. The European Olympic Committee - and by extension the International OC - wants to muscle in and get more power and influence so they created these games.

IMHO, they are not going to be successful - at least not in the short run - because they have no real shine and can't compete in terms of gravitas with the European Championships.

However, I don't agree that Germany will stay at home in 2019. If Germany decides to stay at home and not participate because of the rules, they should also boycott the real Olympics as they are played to the same rules. That will never happen, IMHO.

This user has no status.
Im not saying Germany will not participate. Im saying that they will send a B or C - squad like the swimmers did. They will say f*ck that games i dont need a gold medal in that joke-competition, it is not worth the trouble.
Edit: Quote from Jörg Roßkopf "Für uns ist die Niederlage aber kein Beinbruch, denn es gibt wichtigere Turniere für unsere Mannschaft. Hier gibt es wie in Rio eine fragwürdige Ersatzregelung, die nicht von Spielern oder Trainern gemacht wurde."

It says: For us this loss is not a big tragedy, there are more important tournaments for our team. Here are as in Rio dubious replacement rules, which were not made from player nor coaches.

Furtermore: „Ich würde gerne mal sehen, wie Handballer ein komplettes Turnier mit nur sieben Spielern bestreiten“

" I'd like to see, how handball player could play a complete tournament with just seven players"

and ps.: at olympics there is a 4. player that can play if there is an accident some hours before the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
The loosers should always congratulate the winners! Everybody knew the rules, if Germany was the winner against France by one of their players couldn't play probably you would say other thing. France won fairly, despite of Timo's seakness (stomach I believe), but that's sport! We have to learn to win and to loose! Congratulations for France and to Portugal

In this case, the biggest losers were:
No. 1: Table Tennis as a sport, which is already struggling to earn some attention.
and No. 2: All the fans out there (especially those who paid for tickets), who want to see athletes competing in a renowned tournament to play (!) off the best.

Baku us a joke. In my eyes they have done more harm than anything else...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
The rules have nothing whatsoever to do with the ITTF or ETTU in this case.
The European Games are organised by the European Olympic Committee and are played according to their rules which are the same as the Olympic rules.
This may be right, but a stupid rule is a stupid rule... probably made up by some big-belly-non-athlete who last played table tennis decades ago...
I really understand why Dima is pissed.
What a non-professional event this is. If i was responsible for this taking place for the first time, and would piss off so many people, either by not working live streams, or completely outdatet rubbish rules, i'd probably be fired within minutes. In german there is a say, that the first appearance makes the biggest impression.
So what do they actually expect people to think of this?
Edit: please excuse my bad language, using 4 letter words, but this is somewhat getting me emotional

Last edited: