Question about player stats

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I was listening to sport talk radio today, and I am always amazed at the amount of stats they have on professional players in the big sports in the US. Today was the National Basketball League draft, and they had so many stats on all the draft prospects it was mind boggling. I was wondering if at the top level, these types of stats are compiled for table tennis professionals. Things like serve placement, third ball attack efficiency, backhand winners, forced and unforced errors, success against left-handed players, etc., etc, etc.. I am sure there is awareness of general tendencies and scouting among top players, but I am curious if there is sophisticated collection of stats like in other, more media frenzied sports, and if th epalyers use this to plan strategies. Sabermetrics for table tennis?

Anyone know, and if so, are these data accessible to us mere peons?

Reactions: Suga D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This is very true! I watched a lot of Tennis last year, and during the matches the commentators were able to talk about so many amazing stats even during the match. For instance a basic thing was how many points were one depending where the serve was placed. It would be really good to get more evidence/based stat stuff in table tennis. Really makes things interesting. The ITTF does have a head to head system which is cool. Check it out here, it displays how many times a player has lost or won a match to a specific player: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf2.asp?category=head_to_head1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Depends on how depth it is. If you want a true analyzed one, usually there are few companies doing it and had to pay for them. Because this consider a top secret thing.

CNT coach team do have fully analyzed stat on each notable opponents. Like the percentage of action timo boll will take under each situation and etc

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Depends on how depth it is. If you want a true analyzed one, usually there are few companies doing it and had to pay for them. Because this consider a top secret thing.

CNT coach team do have fully analyzed stat on each notable opponents. Like the percentage of action timo boll will take under each situation and etc

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Hi Dici,

That is very true, the Chinese national team has this. Also the Japanese Team have a notational analysis expert with them to, I met him in Sweden. He recorded every players match and will analyse for the number of points won and lost of various techniques used etc. I will try to email him and find out exactly what data he and the coaches are looking for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Hi Dici,

That is very true, the Chinese national team has this. Also the Japanese Team have a notational analysis expert with them to, I met him in Sweden. He recorded every players match and will analyse for the number of points won and lost of various techniques used etc. I will try to email him and find out exactly what data he and the coaches are looking for.

Dan it woudl be cool if the broadcasters had access to those stats, as that is the stereotype of information used in most sports broadcasts, at least in the US. Something like, "MA Long's chop block looks impressive, but he loses 70% of the points when he uses it" would add some insight to the game. As long as it did not go as far as baseball stats, to things like "Koki Niwa has a pretty solid record against left-handed penholders, but only in games played in the morning and if they use red rubber on their forehand". It goes too far sometimes.