How to identify counterfeit Butterfly products!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hey TTD fellowers.

Unfortunately some people have found out there a marked within TT equipments which have lead to making counterfeit products and selling them as the genuine products.

I want to share a link from the Butterfly homepage where they describe how you can identify genuine from counterfeit Butterfly products. The site is very useful if you are going to buy equipment from China or through the different forums.

http://en.butterflymag.com/2014/11/counterfeit-butterfly-products-a-guide/

This user has no status.
where do you check the serial number? i know DHS has a system where you can input the code only once, BTY has the same checking method?

IMG_1011-300x225.jpg

this characteristic is tough, i don't remember seeing that 2 tone metal tag on my friends blades, and they get them from the official supplier :confused:
I'll try to inspect them more closely next time

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Nice guide. But I think often you also can tell from the price, Butterfly don't often have much of a discount on their products and if you find for example Tenergy rubbers for half the price, it's probably to good to be true. I don't think I have tried fake rubbers but how bad are they compared to real ones? I guess it depends but have someone tried some really "good" fake rubbers?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As far as I know, Butterfly pretty much doesn't give discounts. So the people who frequently ask for places to get Tenergy at a good price are fooling themselves. If someone is selling Butterfly products at full price, their percentage of profit, the amount that they keep, from that full amount, is pretty small in comparison to other brands. I had a friend who ran a TT club who stopped selling Butterfly products because of this. The only advantage to selling Butterfly products is that they are the ones that move the fastest.

I think TTTony can also give more info on this.

So if you see a new Butterfly product at more than 20% off the suggested retail price, either the seller is selling at a loss, it is stolen goods or it is fake!!! I think I remember that number correctly.

My friend was selling the products he sold at a 60-80% markup and they were still relatively inexpensive because he was importing directly from China. So if he was selling a racket that was $40.00 and rubbers that were $30.00 each, ($100.00) total sale, the quality would be pretty decent for the customer and he was making more money than if he sold a $200.00 Butterfly racket. The flaw in his reasoning was that he would have sold much more products if he carried Butterfly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
Just a friendly correction Carl. When you apply as a reseller at an official butterfly regional distributor the RP(reseller's price) is 30% less from SRP, giving you 30% markup. But then as a reseller you have to meet a minimum order and they will require documents as proof of your business legitimacy. So it only boils down to few reasons why a tt joint won't carry butterfly. They can't afford minimum order, their business is illegitimate or their business location is not geographically friendly to distributor's current resellers. So yes, there is a chance that you can get authentic butterfly with a good price you just have to always perform due diligence.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just a friendly correction Carl. When you apply as a reseller at an official butterfly regional distributor the RP(reseller's price) is 30% less from SRP, giving you 30% markup. But then as a reseller you have to meet a minimum order and they will require documents as proof of your business legitimacy. So it only boils down to few reasons why a tt joint won't carry butterfly. They can't afford minimum order, their business is illegitimate or their business location is not geographically friendly to distributor's current resellers. So yes, there is a chance that you can get authentic butterfly with a good price you just have to always perform due diligence.

Thanks. I was not sure what the percentage was. I thought I remembered 20% but 30% is still low compared to some companies.

So, if the price is more than 30% off, it is in all likelyhood, a fake.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Then you gotta add in the cost of getting the products to the reseller, OEM will not pay those and international shipping for anything less than a shipping container is not so price efficient and that drives down margins more... then if you get a shipping container, then you gotta hire a Broker to deal with customs and large freight transport and that can eat more of the margin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
Thanks. I was not sure what the percentage was. I thought I remembered 20% but 30% is still low compared to some companies.

So, if the price is more than 30% off, it is in all likelyhood, a fake.
Yes this is likely correct. And I would humbly suggest too to only entertain very good discounts from offline and local purchase suggested or recommended by veteran ping pong buddies. And these good discounts are most of the time discrete as the source is surely breaking resellership rules that will void official entitlement to resell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 6 reviews
(Unrelated to post)
I bought a Xiom Omega V Europe for $45, from TT-Japan, very cheap imo, do you think it is still genuine? It is shipped from Japan so idk, and I was buying with AUD.

Its 100% genuine. Xiom is not that big a brand whom people will make counterfeits.

Relax and enjoy your Omega V Europe.

Reactions: HappySpinner
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
(Unrelated to post)
I bought a Xiom Omega V Europe for $45, from TT-Japan, very cheap imo, do you think it is still genuine? It is shipped from Japan so idk, and I was buying with AUD.
Sorry Jaymez but I am not confident to speak my views with brands that I have zero experience. However, if the origin is indeed Japan then theres a big chance that it is authentic. Japan has anti- counterfeiting trade agreement with Korea which is the origin of Xiom, and Japan is very steadfast in upholding international trade agreements. Or maybe let's just hope and pray that your transaction would turnout to be successful and favorable for you.

This user has no status.
Its 100% genuine. Xiom is not that big a brand whom people will make counterfeits.

Relax and enjoy your Omega V Europe.

Yes thank you! I didn't think there was any possible chance it would be counterfeit, and I don't know how Xiom isn't that big of a brand since they make very quality rubbers imo. It comes tomorrow at the earliest I think! Then just gotta glue it all together with my new blade! Very excited :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
What about table tennis Kingdom they have butterfly tenergy rubbers for sale at $59 which is £38 and everywhere else in the UK they are £50

I'm pretty sure they are genuine but when buying from them you always run the risk of getting caught by customs and then having to pay VAT + customs duty which may put the price above £50 per rubber!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Thanks Giangt for this post. I'm a new member here btw. Could you guys please share your thoughts on this product that i found on e-bay? ebay.com/itm/TBC201-Butterfly-Table-Tennis-Ping-Pong-Racket-Paddle-Bat-Blade-FL-/181819503068?hash=item2a554971dc. I read a couple of articles including on the link you provided but i need more infos about identifying fake butterfly rackets. The logo looked odd in that it looks like it is riveted(?) on the handle?

Where else can I buy a made in japan butterfly racket apart from japan?:)

Thanks for any enlightenment on this.

Regards
Serge

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks Giangt for this post. I'm a new member here btw. Could you guys please share your thoughts on this product that i found on e-bay? ebay.com/itm/TBC201-Butterfly-Table-Tennis-Ping-Pong-Racket-Paddle-Bat-Blade-FL-/181819503068?hash=item2a554971dc. I read a couple of articles including on the link you provided but i need more infos about identifying fake butterfly rackets. The logo looked odd in that it looks like it is riveted(?) on the handle?

Where else can I buy a made in japan butterfly racket apart from japan?:)

Thanks for any enlightenment on this.

Regards
Serge

That's a low cost recreational raquet. I don't think they counterfeit those, so you are safe to get it.

Is a good raquet only if you are new to table tennis, the Yuki rubber is the best at that price range