Help! Difference between Chinese rubbers and European rubbers?

Do you prefer Chinese rubbers or Euro rubbers?

• Chinese Rubbers

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Euro Rubbers

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Chinese rubbers are usually a lot tackier, meaning there topsheet is usually more sticky whereas european rubbers are not really tacky but have a grippy surface. From what i see, i may be wrong, most chinese rubbers have hard sponge while european sponges are more softer. Also, from what i hear, with chinese rubbers, each stroke requires spin on it as a flat stroke with no spin doesn't work well with them where european rubbers tend to work well with flat or spinny shots like loops.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just wanted to know the difference between them. Is one more spinny, softer, harder, faster?

Those Donic rubbers you have, the sponge is springy, the topsheet is smooth, it doesn't look like it is supper grippy till the ball is on it right? But when the ball is on it, it grabs the ball. But if you pull the ball away, it comes away, it doesn't stick, right? Those are European rubbers. Those are what European and Japanese rubbers are like.

Traditional Chinese rubber, the sponge is sort of like cardboard unless you boost it. The topsheet is a bit like fly paper. If you leave it out, it will have a bunch of dust and dirt particles collected on it, some string, a few small particles of paper, you name it. After you clean that stuff off, if you take a ball, put it on a table and place the racket with the Chinese rubber over it and press down, you are most likely going to pick the ball up because the ball will stick to the topsheet.

The topsheet is called tacky, or sticky.

The two types of rubbers work equally well. They just work differently. European rubbers, the sponge and the topsheet work together to spin and catapult the ball. Chinese rubbers, the sticky grabs quite well and spins the ball and propels it forward more from the topsheet than the sponge. The firm sponge makes it so you can use the topsheet more.

But it is sort of 6 of this and half a dozen of that in terms of which is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
says Hello My name is Henry Brown. I'm a NZ hopes squad...
May 2015
Read 3 reviews
Chinese rubbers are usually a lot tackier, meaning there topsheet is usually more sticky whereas european rubbers are not really tacky but have a grippy surface. From what i see, i may be wrong, most chinese rubbers have hard sponge while european sponges are more softer. Also, from what i hear, with chinese rubbers, each stroke requires spin on it as a flat stroke with no spin doesn't work well with them where european rubbers tend to work well with flat or spinny shots like loops.

Ok thanks! I wanted to know because I have euro rubbers and was thinking about getting chinese rubbers.

May 2015
Read 3 reviews
Those Donic rubbers you have, the sponge is springy, the topsheet is smooth, it doesn't look like it is supper grippy till the ball is on it right? But when the ball is on it, it grabs the ball. But if you pull the ball away, it comes away, it doesn't stick, right? Those are European rubbers. Those are what European and Japanese rubbers are like.

Traditional Chinese rubber, the sponge is sort of like cardboard unless you boost it. The topsheet is a bit like fly paper. If you leave it out, it will have a bunch of dust and dirt particles collected on it, some string, a few small particles of paper, you name it. After you clean that stuff off, if you take a ball, put it on a table and place the racket with the Chinese rubber over it and press down, you are most likely going to pick the ball up because the ball will stick to the topsheet.

The topsheet is called tacky, or sticky.

The two types of rubbers work equally well. They just work differently. European rubbers, the sponge and the topsheet work together to spin and catapult the ball. Chinese rubbers, the sticky grabs quite well and spins the ball and propels it forward more from the topsheet than the sponge. The firm sponge makes it so you can use the topsheet more.

But it is sort of 6 of this and half a dozen of that in terms of which is better.

Cool thanks! :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, one more thing. You need slightly different technique for Chinese rubber. So, unless you are decently high level, switching, getting used to Chinese rubbers, it could take a while to get used to them. When my level was lower, it would take a month to get used to Chinese. These days my technique is good enough that I can adjust within a few min.

Also, the top Chinese guys all use Euro/Jap rubber for BH. They only use Chinese for FH. Chinese rubber is nowhere near as good for BH.

May 2015
Read 3 reviews
Oh, one more thing. You need slightly different technique for Chinese rubber. So, unless you are decently high level, switching, getting used to Chinese rubbers, it could take a while to get used to them. When my level was lower, it would take a month to get used to Chinese. These days my technique is good enough that I can adjust within a few min.

Also, the top Chinese guys all use Euro/Jap rubber for BH. They only use Chinese for FH. Chinese rubber is nowhere near as good for BH.

I'm perfectly happy with my backhand if I was to switch it would defiantly be on my forehand

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know this guy who could probably boost it for me
thx for your advice :D

Cool. It is just better to have someone who sort of knows what he is doing for the first time you boost.

I personally like European/Japanese rubbers better. You have to work hard and take a large swing to really get the power from Chinese rubbers and when you do, they are good. But there is a different range of things you can do with Tensors. In the end, knowing for yourself is best though. Trying and seeing if rubbers like H3 are good for you is good to have first hand experience on.

Reactions: Suga D