Excessive shouting after a point

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
I was watching the Korea Open women's double final (Mima Ito, Miu Hirano vs Hina Hayata, Hitomi Sato) which was a brilliant match.

However after every point that Hayata and Sato won (and sometimes before the service), they would both shout a sound in unison, very loudly and always the same tone. I don't think that they intended to off put Ito and Hirano however this would definitely affect my concentration, particularly the shout before the service.

I wondered what the general consensus is about excessive vocalisation amongst the table tennis community. Personally, I'll only shout if I've won a difficult/long rally or landed a fast winning shot.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Though I have nothing against choeing, when the player starts to yell(take a look at Matasaka Morizono in his match against Chuang Chih-Yuan at the Japan Open) it definitely isn't something normal, it's like having an opponent's fan yelling at your ear, and I don't like it as a player and umpire aswell.

This user has no status.
I play with a guy that is always yelling ( thats what I'm talking about,or yelling something really loud and laughing after winning a point) I find that really annoying.

download.jpg

Just like this :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
has it been proven to start with that choing actually helps you in any way?
I'm still not convinced.

I think top level players are encouraged to cho a lot basically because there are a lot of people watching them so in a way they are actors playing a part.
so it kind of builds the mood, also the coaches shouting, everything.
and that's what the audience is looking for.
it's all just like a big scene.
of course they will never tell this to the players, they will tell them to do it because it helps release their chi or whatever :D

myself these days I generally get put off if someone is shouting/choing at me.
not because of the cho itself but because facing someone who sees the activity as a fight or a confrontation just puts me off and makes me wanna leave.
to me playing a tt match is like watching tv together or playing freezbee or surfing together.

but I don't get much choing really.
what I get a lot is people who get frustrated and have rage attacks and hit things or shout in anger.
but it's not against me, it's against themselves.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
I choy or chole only when its worth the cho... But some just really cho their way from start to the end but I like those players though because they somehow make my adrenalin stronger and my reflexes faster. I always wish that they are around specially when I forget to drink my coffee before training.

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
The match itself is a fight anyway, so cho-ing is acceptable by me. I also CHO (after some points which i see as really important) in my own language, to release the stress, so i don't see anything wrong in here. TT is mental sport too, so if someone is not mentaly prepared to focus hard enough it's not really my problem :)

I think it's a fight only if you make it a fight.
I don't see it as a fight, just as playing a game "with" someone instead of "against" someone.
actually when I'm playing a point I always wish the opponent gets my ball and brings it back to table one more time.
I'll throw it as hard as I can but I always wish they bring it back so we can continue the point.

of course this doesnt' apply for people like ma long or zhang jike because they don't play for fun in tournaments.
having nobody show up to the tournament and winning the prize right away would probably be my choice in this case :D
but I don't think there's anybody here who plays for a different reason than simple and pure fun.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
The match itself is a fight anyway, so cho-ing is acceptable by me. I also CHO (after some points which i see as really important) in my own language, to release the stress, so i don't see anything wrong in here. TT is mental sport too, so if someone is not mentaly prepared to focus hard enough it's not really my problem :)

I believe playing on a really high level, ones mindset is the most important thing, 'cause their playing levels are pretty equal. So choing can really push yourself to your limits. And second: it can also somewhat distract your opponent from his concentration. But the second reason is rather unfair, and i find it also very non-sportsmanlike and kinda similar to simulate an injury, especially in a final round of a tournament.

Sometimes you can read in the face of your opponent, if he just tries to push himself, or if he wants to be annoying. And it seemed to me, Hayata Ina and Hitomi Sato probably knew that they were choing a little often.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
not long ago I was playing this match against a guy I used to beat all the time.
so at some point he started winning and choing.
and in the end he won and made a big cho.
and said "of course I'm going to cho against you..."
so it was like a flattering and respect based cho and felt nice.
thanks.

the chos at tournaments between strangers are more like "I hate you and I want to see you dead" types of cho :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I say the choing is much more okay if it is a woman who is hot. Unfortunately, sometimes choing makes a hot woman sound like a Harpy. Then, in my opinion, they need to learn how to cho more sexy.

But from guys it is no good. Unless they are like Muhammed Ali: bragging and making me laugh while insulting the opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Preflight quotes from Muhammed Ali:

To Joe Frazier: "Clumsy, Ugly, Flat-Footed Joe Frazier, what makes you think you can beat me?"

To Sonny Liston: "I've had 120 amateur fights, 22 professional fights and I'm still pretty as a girl. I'm so pretty I don't get hit!"

Interviewer: "I saw Sonny Liston the other day..."
Ali (when he was Casius Clay): "Ain't he ugly? He's too ugly to be the champ!"

Before the George Foreman fight: "I think it's befitting that I go out of boxing the way that I came in: by beating some Big, Ugly Monster that nobody can beat!"

Before the Clay Liston fight: "For those of you who will not be able to witness the Clay, Liston fight, here is the 8th round exactly as it will happen:
Clay comes out to meet Liston
And Liston starts to retreat
If Liston backs up any farther
He'll end up in a Ring-Side seat
Clay swings with his left
Clay swings with his right
Look at young Casius carry the fight
Liston keeps backing
But there's not enough room
It's just a matter of time
There he goes towards the moon
Liston keeps rising and the ref wears a frown
'Cause he can't start counting
Till Sonny comes down
Who'd have thought
When they came to the fight
That they'd witness the launching of a human satellite
No the crowd never dreamed, when they put down their money
That they would see a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SONNY"

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Sad thing in sports today (as well as in world) is that only WINNERS WRITE THE HISTORY. Sad but true, no one will remember how Hayata Ina and Hitomi Sato won the tremble... Does anyone remembers how has that young chinese guy beaten Jun Mizutani in final?!?! + besides choing, they had to do something right, otherwise only choing would not get them very far...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Generally, if I am playing a lower rated player and they start choing, I immediately start getting louder and louder, and trust me, you do not want to see me when I get louder...

I have two choing matches that I hate - one win, one loss. The first, I was playing a tomboy and I mocked her choing and went up 2-0. My teammate asked me to stop and I did, and she fought back to win in the 5th despite my having match points in the 3rd...

In the second, which was fairly recent, I am playing this junior with great strokes and power, but poor consistency (if he was even just a bit more consistent, then we wouldn't be having this conversation as blocking his shots was incredibly hard for me). I was like wow, if this guy gets in a rhythm, I am toast. And after he played the first game fairly silently and lost a close one, he started choing in the second and I started playing as if my mind was elsewhere. So I said, screw that S**T and started pumping myself up too. And surprise, surprise, the kid has a weak mental game and after he lost the battle of the choing and that game in another close one, he fell apart in the 3rd completely.

I am too uncivilized. If you cho, I will ante up... For me, the noisiest matches you will see me play are when I am in a foreign venue and playing someone who the crowd is cheering for.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Rather than the clowning around from my earlier posts, I will actually answer. I am a calm person for the most part. I play my best when I am calm. If someone else is doing that stuff it doesn't really bother me. I've pulled out enough games at 9-9 or down 8-10 against guys who are better than me.

I was mentioning the antics of Ali, stare downs are funny as well. But if you can get inside the other person's head it is okay. Sometimes it is worth pumping your fist and saying your own version of "Yes!" When you make a good shot or play a point that gets you motivated.

With my training partners, we goof around and cho the nets and edges that you are not supposed to cho and that certain douche bags do cho for. But we are clowning around and making fun of the people who do that and don't realize how pathetic they are.

But in a match, I play without much external show of emotion.

I do understand the people who need to be pumped up to play well. In a match I am the cold calculating type. So taking my time and icing the other guy is what I do in response to someone choing.

Like if someone choed before he or I served, I would step away from the table and make them wait. And if they did it again after I got back ready, I would step away again. If there was an umpire and he complained, I would point out the cho. Same if the player tried to complain.

Someone who needs to do that will doubt and second guess himself more if I ice him.

Last edited: