Honest opinion --> Viscaria vs Timo Boll ZLF

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi People!

I'm a forehand oriented looper, trying to change my style to both wing attacker. My strongest points are forehand spinny loops, and my service. My weakest points are my backhand, In games I only use backhand do block or to lob. I can show you a video of me playing --> https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.100001020180356/848707155173283/?type=3&theater

I used to play with Timo Boll ALC with Tenergy 05 2.1 on both sides. Regardless of my technique, that maybe was not too good to handle it, I loved that feeling, it was awesome, but i felt the need of doing regularly exercise to get fit and quick enough to handle that blade. With the change of the poly ball, I felt TB ALC was too muted(Its just my opinion) and without control. Then I decided to change for Viscaria(95 gr), and it was a positive change. Softer Center Layer(Balsa instead of Kiri). Its was still fast, less than TB ALC, but more controlable than TB ALC. Then I saw TB ZLC and I give it a try. Has much better feel than TB ALC. doesn't had that muted feel. But it felt too fast for me, so you guys advise do change to TB ZLF???

Thanks in advance :DDDD

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Honest opinion --> Viscaria vs Timo Boll ZLF

I agree with Baal. Unless you try a TB ZLF and really like it more I would stick with the Viscaria. TB ZLF is different enough from any of the blades you mentioned that keeping the Viscaria makes sense.

If you see someone who is using a TB ZLF ask if you can try it. But until trying, I wouldn't change anything. And based on some of the stuff you said, if you tried a TB ZLF, there is a possibility that you wouldn't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I agree with Baal. Unless you try a TB ZLF and really like it more I would stick with the Viscaria. TB ZLF is different enough from any of the blades you mentioned that keeping the Viscaria makes sense.

If you see someone who is using a TB ZLF ask if you can try it. But until trying, I wouldn't change anything. And based on some of the stuff you said, if you tried a TB ZLF, there is a possibility that you wouldn't like it.

Well, thanks to both then :) I was attempting to buy a second blade, I'll go for another Viscaria then :D

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Maybe I should explain more. Every equipment choice means trade-offs. If the blade is faster, you will gain on some shots, lose on others. I have always thought (since before ZJK was famous) that the Viscaria, especially heavier ones, is a really great blade that doesn't go too far in one way or the other in terms of speed, hardness, flex, feel, etc. I always preferred it to the TB-ALC, which I think that has a lot to do with its weight distribution and handle shape, and the fact that the the UV treatement of the outer face of the TB-ALC does something I don't personally like. I have not liked newer light Viscaria blades as much. When they are below 86 grams they are almost an entirely different blade. But yours is right in the range that makes them play really well. The ZLF felt really weird to me, reminds me a bit of an old Timo Boll Spark, which was not a great success. Of course, if someone you know has one, you can check for yourself.

I should mention that I actually prefer the new ZJK-ALC blade to the most recent Viscaria blades I have hit with. They are actually more like older Viscarias.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Maybe I should explain more. Every equipment choice means trade-offs. If the blade is faster, you will gain on some shots, lose on others. I have always thought (since before ZJK was famous) that the Viscaria, especially heavier ones, is a really great blade that doesn't go too far in one way or the other in terms of speed, hardness, flex, feel, etc. I always preferred it to the TB-ALC, which I think that has a lot to do with its weight distribution and handle shape, and the fact that the the UV treatement of the outer face of the TB-ALC does something I don't personally like. I have not liked newer light Viscaria blades as much. When they are below 86 grams they are almost an entirely different blade. But yours is right in the range that makes them play really well. The ZLF felt really weird to me, reminds me a bit of an old Timo Boll Spark, which was not a great success. Of course, if someone you know has one, you can check for yourself.

I should mention that I actually prefer the new ZJK-ALC blade to the most recent Viscaria blades I have hit with. They are actually more like older Viscarias.

Thats a nice explanation Baal, thanks :D I've Tried ZJK(blue dragon) but the one i've tried felt too dead and head heavy compared to my Viscaria :p But I want to try ZJK-ALC, but didn't find no one here that play's with that blade >.<

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. That is good info Baal gave. TB ZLF is a different animal. Now I like the TB ZLF but I also liked the TB Spark. If those had a good handle I would like the more than the TB ZLF. But the handle was a very weird flat shape.

TB Spark is softer and slower than TB ZLF. It has Arylate with no Carbon. I think the wood may be the same plies. Arylate is softer and slower than Zylon. So Spark was slower than ZLF.

Now if you don't like soft underneath the top ply, those blades will feel weird. Whereas the Arylate with the Carbon in the Viscaria or ZJK AlC makes it so the Arylate with the Carbon has dwell time but is crisp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
yes, I think that is right. Definitely Spark is (was?) slower than ZLF, but same feel to me for reasons you mentioned.

Handles matter a lot. There are lots of threads on various TT forums around the world in which people say that Viscaria, TBS, TB-ALC, etc. etc. are all more or less the same blade with different handle (and then people will disagree and argue about actual wood composition of the blades). They are similar for sure, and some overlap. But my opinion is that the handle matters every bit as much as the rest of the blade because of what it does to weight, balance, and ultimately whether or not you will like the blade. That's why one person may prefer a TB-ALC and another a Viscaria and be definitely able to tell the difference. One reason I like Viscaria (since about 2005 or so) is that over time I have learned to like its handle better than any other. There was a time when I thought it was too small. Now everything else feels weird. And also, a Viscaria at 84 grams doesn't feel right to me either, but a ZJK-ALC at 91 feels pretty good.