The best advice your coach has given you?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
These are things that were told to me by a few friends who are 2600+, so not "my" coach but guys who really know how to play and know my game.

"Spin Everything! It is safer, it is higher level shooting, and you will get much more accuracy and placement. It is too dangerous to flat hit against higher level players. Try and put as much spin on every shot as you can!"

"Reset and get ready for the next shot as fast as you can."

"The power comes from the legs and hips, not the arm. The spin comes from the acceleration of the racket, the fast bat speed and how you use the topsheet and sponge when you contact the ball."

"If an intermediate player wants to play and have fun and doesn't care about improving then he can use any of the composite rackets out there. They are fun to hit the ball with. But if an intermediate level player is more concerned with improving, he should use a 5 ply, all wood blade that is All+/Off- speed rated and has good dwell, touch and feeling."

"In table tennis, the real game happens over the table. You have to be good at playing from all distances. But mid-distance and further don't matter much if you can't control the first three balls. So work on serve and receive and random placement."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
"The simplest way to get better is to work hard on your backhand. At the levels you play, almost no one works on their backhand."

"If you keep taking your shots, you'll be making them."

"You guys, always trying to drive the ball past people. Do you know you can actually spin the ball slowly to someone and make them miss?"

"Keep it simple - spin the low ball, drive the high ball."

"Stop pushing *every* serve! You will never get better that way."

"You don't need a tricky serve. All you need is a serve that your opponent will not attack - let your third ball do the talking."

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great tips, everyone. Thanks for sharing. One tip I saw repeated in several posts is something I need to work on: Spin the ball more instead of trying to drive it so often. As Carl's high-level friends told him, "Spin everything. It's safer."

That one was Michael Landers. [emoji2]

Reactions: agold
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To be fair, at that level, their spins are faster than my drives.

Yeah. Mikes loops are pretty fast and heavy.

But he said it based on my game. As a kid I played baseball. The two biggest challenges for me in learning table tennis as an adult were to stop hitting flat and to move my feet.

Hahaha.

Both of those things are way better. But this is such a technical game/sport that there is so much room for improvement since touch and precision are a huge part of improving.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah. Mikes loops are pretty fast and heavy.

But he said it based on my game. As a kid I played baseball. The two biggest challenges for me in learning table tennis as an adult were to stop hitting flat and to move my feet.

Hahaha.

Both of those things are way better. But this is such a technical game/sport that there is so much room for improvement since touch and precision are a huge part of improving.

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Things like this explains why PNut thinks he is looping when he isn't.