TT Players needed for online experiment (for dissertation research)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I am a master's student at the University of Glasgow. I am recruiting participants for my sport psychology research which seeks to compare REACTION SPEEDS table tennis players, runners and non-athletes.

I would be grateful if you could spare 10 minutes to take part. It is anonymous and the test gives your reaction speed, so you can compare it with friends!

Below is my experiment (it does not run well on iPads, or tablets!)

http://www.psytoolkit.org/cgi-bin/psy2.0.1/survey?s=MhmJ4

Thank you for your support!

Von x

This user has no status.
my reaction speed is good, just above average i would say. But when i play TT my speed seems higher, that's because am very good reading the opponent's body so i can anticipate his attack, since my physical condition is not that great.

What you guys do? pay more attention to your opponent or focus more on the ball itself?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Local time: 22:29
Result: 226/399

Was interesting test. I think I will try in the morning when i will be fresh :D

To the author: I am as a non native english speaker the last big survey questioniere included too much "smarty" words. And was a bit confusing what was in mind by "compete". Like to compete in a match or in an argument..

Overall nice survey - goodluck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Just took the test a second time and got 234 simple and 353 choice. So I actually got slightly worse on the first test but significantly better on the second.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
295/472

Slow as molasses, that's painfully obvious.

It's interesting that opponents say I'm one of the faster players at the club, but I think that's an illusion on their part. It's probably because I play close to the table, so I rob them of reaction time by hitting the ball off the bounce. Also my movement is good; especially in and out, a little bit less so side to side. My reaction times are still grandpa-like, hehehe. But I feel my anticipation is pretty good, so I'm OK, I think.

Since I've played vvk1, it would be interesting to see what he thinks of this, comparing my real, relatively slow reaction times to how he perceives me at the table :)

As for vvk1, I don't perceive him to be a particularly fast player and not faster than me at the table. These results clearly show him to have much better reaction times than I do though. So yet again he's the winner, on and off the table, hehehe.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
295/472

Slow as molasses, that's painfully obvious.

It's interesting that opponents say I'm one of the faster players at the club, but I think that's an illusion on their part. It's probably because I play close to the table, so I rob them of reaction time by hitting the ball off the bounce. Also my movement is good; especially in and out, a little bit less so side to side. My reaction times are still grandpa-like, hehehe. But I feel my anticipation is pretty good, so I'm OK, I think.

Since I've played vvk1, it would be interesting to see what he thinks of this, comparing my real, relatively slow reaction times to how he perceives me at the table :)

As for vvk1, I don't perceive him to be a particularly fast player and not faster than me at the table. These results clearly show him to have much better reaction times than I do though. So yet again he's the winner, on and off the table, hehehe.

To be honest we have no idea whether lower or higher scores correspond to better performance on the test. So, it is very well possible that you are the fastest of them all :)

You're right, I am not that fast. Probably, that explains why I prefer to play slightly away from the table.

IMHO, at our level, pure reaction time is far less important than being able to anticipate the opponents stroke, its direction and placement. This is something APW46 keeps regularly repeating on the other forum.

Reactions: Der_Echte