Rallies

This user has no status.
Is it just me or does there appear to be a significant drop in the quality/quantity of high speed rallies?

I understand the growing pains and the acclamation process will take time (the new poly balls are extremely lacking in quality and most of the equipment was geared towards the celluloid era), but man...xu xin's forehand is so inconsistent and boring to watch now (i suspect he will be switching blades/fh rubbers in time).

Gone are the days of agility, speed and athleteicism (wang linqin/wang hao speed glue era)...making way for the techical oriented and rounded player, the opposite of what ittf tried to accomplish with this switch.

Or am i just imagining things?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I haven't really noticed that. I have noticed that the rallies are more frequently longer because it is harder to put the ball away on the opponent.

The best example I can think of on this is that Jun Mizutani went from WR #11 and fading right up to #5. Nobody outside of the CNT players can put the ball past him any more. And his lobbing has now become a very effective tactic.

But perhaps the miss-hits and players looking at their rackets as though something strange just happened has to do with the seams on the seamed balls. When the ball bounces on the seam, it takes a funny bounce because the seam is thicker and harder than the rest of the ball so the bounce isn't true.

And that, I believe is a huge quality issue with the seamed plastic balls which also break very easily for the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I tend to watch a lot of choppers, and the rallies there do seem to go on longer, but the outcome is much the same - attackers still have an advantage, I think. Surely someone has done a stroke count analysis of the major tournaments. I wonder where we would find such stats?