Adidas to discontinue table tennis products

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Well that's sad that the company is leaving TT :( . But actually, given Adidas' financial health http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/adidas-uk-limited-01075951/ it is still very surprising the company manages to function at all.
That Adidas UK doesn't seem to be a financially healthy company doesn't automatically mean that the mother company itself, the Adidas Group, is unhealthy too. As far as I know, the TT branch of Adidas wasn't run through Adidas UK so it's financial status is not really relevant in this case.

Adidas Group is quite fine despite a slump in profits last year. The outlook for the group for 2015 points to a moderately improved result. (http://www.adidas-group.com/)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
It's always sad to loose a manufacturer from TT and not a great outcome for the sport, but... to be perfectly honest I'd personally be far more saddened by the loss of smaller manufacturers like Yasaka, Avalox and JUIC than a behemoth without any TT history like Adidas. These small companies are still part of the backbone of TT history and equipment manufacturing.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hehe, your knowledge in tt seems to be beyond mine (at least on the Tensor matter [emoji14]) and I've tried less rubbers than you so, what you're saying could highly likely be correct. I personally think I've misunderstood the definition of Tensor (could be I thought it was tension effect..) and my main thought was that Tensor had a boosted smell and similar feel. Whereby P7 smelled like 100% normal rubber and feels more like an OP mark v than a slower more spinney bluefire or tenzone ultra.
And indeed, I know ttdb is user generated, which is why I tried to check other sources where I found different opinions on the case. On behalf of this I figured/guessed it would not be tensor.
Well, You learn something new every day!

I wish I'd spent as long on the table as I had buying stuff to try out. I'd be a much better player by now.

The inconsistent approach to labeling doesn't help. In olden days, when it was all fields around here, all tensors used to have the Tensor logo on them. Then that stopped happening, and the various suppliers started to use their own logos and terminology for it (e.g. Donic used "Formula Donic", and would put FD3 on the packet to suggest that it's the 3rd generation). My guess is that the suppliers wanted to avoid the idea in the public's mind that all the ESN Tensors came from the same factory, and were therefore all the same (or very similar).

And then you have Palio, who still use the Tensor logo on their packaging for Aeolus, Blitz etc. I guess they need to reinforce the idea that these are Made in Germany, premium rubbers to distinguish them from their other cheapo CJ8000 type chinese rubbers.

Reactions: Kaizoku
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
It's always sad to loose a manufacturer from TT and not a great outcome for the sport, but... to be perfectly honest I'd personally be far more saddened by the loss of smaller manufacturers like Yasaka, Avalox and JUIC than a behemoth without any TT history like Adidas. These small companies are still part of the backbone of TT history and equipment manufacturing.

Well, this wasn't actually Adidas - The Big German Monster. This was Greenmaster Fitness, who purchased a licence to use the Adidas brand. So prepare to be more saddened - this was a pretty small company as it turns out.

http://www.green-fitness.de/index.php?id=2

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Well, this wasn't actually Adidas - The Big German Monster. This was Greenmaster Fitness, who purchased a licence to use the Adidas brand. So prepare to be more saddened - this was a pretty small company as it turns out.

http://www.green-fitness.de/index.php?id=2

Sad to see, but my point was more about the smaller companies with a history in TT. Personally I feel the outlook for Yasaka and Avalox may not be that great in the long run and that's not a good thing at all for TT.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sad to see, but my point was more about the smaller companies with a history in TT. Personally I feel the outlook for Yasaka and Avalon may not be that great in the long run and that's not a good thing at all for TT.

I think you are making a good point here. There are some long term companies that are struggling.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a good question. Are Adidas pulling the plug on Greenhouse, or on all of their TT stuff (which includes tables, shoes, premade bats etc).

Well, if Adidas is pulling the plug on Greenhouse, the good news on that is, they could resurface with their own name if they wanted to.

This user has no status.
I have used the Adidas Hypertouch, Strike Carbon, Spingblaze pips,P7 and Ultra Tenzone sf. All were very good quality products. Hopefully the German company can rebrand and maybe they can lower the price point making it more price friendly to us TT EJers. I personally think paying royalties to a big conglomerate is a lose lose situation. If you had branded it Hello Kitty, the product would have sold more than Adidas...lol :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Also, I should add, there are some ESN rubbers which don't have the Tensor thing built-in. These are still "Made in Germany", but are marketed as modern classics - Xiom Musa, Adidas R-Classic, Joola Zack. So non-tensor ESN. But these are the minority of ESN offerings.

Absolutely correct. Well, speaking of the modern classics, i'm not sure if this whole 'news-bulletin' just might be a hoax, wishful thinkin' by market competitors, or simply gossip, 'cause the german tt-website www.mytischtennis.de just had a giveaway and test for the R-Classic Rubber a couple of weeks ago and just released the test results.
So how much sense does this make, if the company's planning to reject their involvement to the sport?
I'm not so sure.....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
nike will start an other try!

nike strarts with tt.jpg

This user has no status.
Looks like now is a great time to buy Adidas rubbers - teesport has just reduced the prices of all Tenzones and P7s to £29.99 and £26.99.

http://www.teessport.com/rubbers-c6#m35

From a price/performance ratio, I don't know what else can beat the P7 deal.

The prices are very tempting. The EJer in me is stirring and my wallet says no no no....What to do?:D And not just the rubbers are reduced, everything Adidas has been reduced. The fire sale has started.

Last edited:
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Looks like now is a great time to buy Adidas rubbers - teesport has just reduced the prices of all Tenzones and P7s to £29.99 and £26.99.

http://www.teessport.com/rubbers-c6#m35

From a price/performance ratio, I don't know what else can beat the P7 deal.
Seems very reasonable.. but for me in Norway the shipping will be 30 usd there :/

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As long as you know that, at some point, those rubbers won't be on the approved list, then go for it. That issue would only come up in a competition if you are dealing with someone who is a bit of a jerk, or, in international play it would come up when they inspect your racket for whether it is legal or not. So for most people that wouldn't matter.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
When does ITTF approval for Adidas rubbers run out?

edit: I just checked the ITTF website. The present LARC is valid until 30 Sep2015. Can I assume that if Adidas have not paid their dues, then the rubbers are not legal beyond 30Sep15?

Adidas has confirmed days ago that their rubbers can be used until mid-end of 2017

says Aging is a killer
Oooo! cheap Adidas rubbers will be legal up to 2017

Adidas has confirmed days ago that their rubbers can be used until mid-end of 2017

Good. Now I have all the excuse I need to try that P7 that all you guys have been so enthusiastic about.
What's the chance of another brand picking up the Adidas P-range of rubbers?

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Good. Now I have all the excuse I need to try that P7 that all you guys have been so enthusiastic about.
What's the chance of another brand picking up the Adidas P-range of rubbers?

It's the most perfect normal rubber there is, that's why everyone loves it :L
But I have to warn you, it's not the fastest (ofc not the slowest either), but in it's speed frame I doubth you'l find any rubber with a better capability of generating spin. At least on normal grippy rubbers that is, might be possible to surpass on the most spinny Chinese tacky rubbers with a precise full arm motion stroke.
Regards to the question I think that would be subjective guesses... Contacting them and asking would probably be the best way of finding out.