Back to Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. HappySpinner is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 72 69
    HappySpinner's Avatar
    HappySpinner is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 69 72

    User Info Menu

    #1

    Sharing A Good Video of ZJK's Pendulum Serve

    Just want to share a very good video of Zhang Jike's pendulum serve. Enjoy and keep spinning!

    The Following 4 Users Like HappySpinner's Post:

    akoozab, Mikael Berglund and 2 others

    Best gain, good friends. Greatest adversary, yourself.

  2. Dan.1 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 4 10
    D
    Dan.1 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 4

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    New Zealand
    10
    4
    99
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    Very interesting how ZJK varies either topspin or backspin with his pendulum serve, I'm trying to improve my pendulum serve and hopefully this helps me, thanks for sharing it!

  3. TareqPhoto is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 102 941
    T
    TareqPhoto is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 941 102
    #3
    Nice video!

    I will try to practice on this serve now so if i will go to play today i may try it sometimes in the games.

    Thanks for the video.

  4. Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    #4
    What is a serve that is more difficult to learn than the reverse pendulum? Reverse tomahawk? Punch?

  5. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,497 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,497

    User Info Menu

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilia Minkin
    What is a serve that is more difficult to learn than the reverse pendulum? Reverse tomahawk? Punch?
    Maybe the backhand tomahawk. But even then, it is easier to get good spin on those serves than the reverse pendulum. Many pros don't do the reverse even when they are competent because they don't like the amount of spin they get.

    The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    bobpuls, Ilia Minkin and 1 other

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  6. Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Many pros don't do the reverse even when they are competent because they don't like the amount of spin they get.
    That is interesting... There was video on this forum where Fang Bo played in Canada. His opponent had a match point, but he faulted his serve, and the serve was... reverse pendulum (33:45)! At that moment I saw this my empathy for him was so deep since I fault my reverse serve all the time.

    The Following User Likes Ilia Minkin's Post:

    NextLevel

    Last edited by Ilia Minkin; 11-25-2016 at 02:35 AM.

  7. suds79 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,175 859
    suds79's Avatar
    suds79 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 859 1,175
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.1
    Very interesting how ZJK varies either topspin or backspin with his pendulum serve, I'm trying to improve my pendulum serve and hopefully this helps me, thanks for sharing it!
    If you see a slow mo replay in this entire clip of him putting some decent backspin on it, let me know. Truth of the matter is that I've seen several slow mo videos of ZJK's serve and as far as I can tell, it's always pure sidespin and just very low & spiny.

    All those replays look like they're spinning the same to me. Maybe there's a side/top version in there but I don't see a side/back version.

    It's one serve that I find flat out hard to do. Everything I've tested personally tells me that any type of reverse action going to the side cannot produce backspin. At least for me. IDK.

  8. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,497 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,497

    User Info Menu

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by suds79
    If you see a slow mo replay in this entire clip of him putting some decent backspin on it, let me know. Truth of the matter is that I've seen several slow mo videos of ZJK's serve and as far as I can tell, it's always pure sidespin and just very low & spiny.

    All those replays look like they're spinning the same to me. Maybe there's a side/top version in there but I don't see a side/back version.

    It's one serve that I find flat out hard to do. Everything I've tested personally tells me that any type of reverse action going to the side cannot produce backspin. At least for me. IDK.
    Some of them do have a backspin orientation. There is one earlier but the one at 2:24 is pretty strong.

    The trick is that you can still serve heavy side backspin with a vertical looking paddle if you know what you are doing. Anyone with the TTEdge app can see signs of what is possible with William's tomahawk serve, Trevor and Brett's pendulum, Brett's backhand serve, and Trevor's punch.

    The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    Suga D and UpSideDownCarl

    Last edited by NextLevel; 11-25-2016 at 03:02 AM.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  9. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,923 3,549
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,549 5,923

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,549
    5,923
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #9
    There is one obvious one that Wang Hao pushes into the bottom of the net and several others with very heavy undetspin.

    The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

    Suga D

    Last edited by Baal; 11-25-2016 at 04:22 AM.

  10. Delusion To Divination is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 75 64
    Delusion To Divination's Avatar
    Delusion To Divination is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 64 75

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    Eritrea
    64
    75
    358
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    This is my closest imitation of ZJK serves, when I was once obsessed with learning such. I really like the ones after 0:31, where my brush is much better.


    These are my other Reverse side spin variations and I have some similar serves here as well


    But, I have to confess that I never use them in games because

    1) It is ****ing hard to do pure backpin ones
    2) I don't want to face my own demons when the ball is loaded with opposite spin when the ball gets returned
    3) I don't want to lose the point because it doesn't fit my playstyle due to inexperience.

    I agree with others that one needs some real practice and understanding of match strategy to use reverse sidespins because usually, the ball reaches the right end of the table loaded with backspin and regular sidespin. This makes it hard for amateurs to loop such balls.

    The other thing is this system supports backhand oriented players well like Ovtcharov who goes for third ball attack with backhand.

    When it comes to third ball, Ma Long drives the ball out of Wembley Cricket Stadium and Further, I voted him for 2016 Presidential elections. I would like to side with the president

  11. Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    #11
    A nice closeup.

    The Following User Likes Ilia Minkin's Post:

    Suga D


  12. Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 238 247
    Vrael's Avatar
    Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 247 238
    #12
    I must say it is pretty strange for me to read this topic. Probably some of You have seen my end of the year compliation and know what I will say in the next sentence... I find reverse pendelum serve to be the easiest to put spin on (side,top,back fast, slow) and easiest to disguise. And it is weird since I had no idea that such serve exists before I made my 3 year break from tt, so of course I was not practising it at all.

    The placement though is another story. When I do fast backspin or no spin it is quite easy to put it at the end of the table, but when I try to do slow short spinny reverse serve it often is higher than I would like or not exactly where I would want it to be.

    The Following User Likes Vrael's Post:

    iammaru


  13. iammaru is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 79 166
    I
    iammaru is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 166 79

    User Info Menu


    Mar 2014
    Vietnam
    166
    79
    520
    Read 0 Reviews
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrael
    I must say it is pretty strange for me to read this topic. Probably some of You have seen my end of the year compliation and know what I will say in the next sentence... I find reverse pendelum serve to be the easiest to put spin on (side,top,back fast, slow) and easiest to disguise. And it is weird since I had no idea that such serve exists before I made my 3 year break from tt, so of course I was not practising it at all.

    The placement though is another story. When I do fast backspin or no spin it is quite easy to put it at the end of the table, but when I try to do slow short spinny reverse serve it often is higher than I would like or not exactly where I would want it to be.
    hey there, I was curious after seeing your post and I searched for your end of the year compilation. Very impressive reverse pendulum serves. Do you mind sharing some tips? Especially how to get spin and variations/deception. Thanks

    The Following User Likes iammaru's Post:

    Vrael


  14. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,453 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,453
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by HappySpinner
    Just want to share a very good video of Zhang Jike's pendulum serve. Enjoy and keep spinning!

    oldie but goldie . that channel has many slow motion stuff and its great. In HQ also one can see exactly what happens in the contact point
    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  15. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,497 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,497

    User Info Menu

    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrael
    The placement though is another story. When I do fast backspin or no spin it is quite easy to put it at the end of the table, but when I try to do slow short spinny reverse serve it often is higher than I would like or not exactly where I would want it to be.
    That's why it is one of the hardest serves to do. Many people can't put backspin on the serves, and when they do, it is not absolutely heavy (only deceptively heavy), so many pros don't like that and prefer their higher quality spinny variants. For me, I can't serve it as reliably short and heavy as I can do with most of my other serves.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  16. Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 238 247
    Vrael's Avatar
    Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 247 238
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by iammaru
    hey there, I was curious after seeing your post and I searched for your end of the year compilation. Very impressive reverse pendulum serves. Do you mind sharing some tips? Especially how to get spin and variations/deception. Thanks
    I often start with few strong backspin serves, usually at least one lands in the net (against players on my level). When they are scared of backspin and still not used to it I can start mixing no spin, because the movement is practically the same, just instead of brushing the ball You have to hit it, but not to hard, because the speed of no spin serve should be simillar to backspin. The other way is to change a point of contact when doing no spin. The ball should hit near the handle

    What kind of deception You use should depend on Your opponent. One will be better at reading hit/brush kind of disguise and the second will read Your serves better when You change the point of contact.

    And then comes aftermotion. I am trying to mimick Yoshimura Maharu... well he is practically hitting the ball behind the head and I am not flexible enough to do that, but I am talking about his aftermotion. After hitting/brushing the ball he turns the racket, so opponent can see his bh side. There were a lot of videos on that serve after Rio.

    Here is pretty good video on reverse pendelum serve:


    And here is video with Maharu Yoshimura serve:


    I can't find the video where they analyzed his serve, but when I find it I will add it here

    Edit: Unfortunately it was blocked

    The Following 2 Users Like Vrael's Post:

    bobpuls and iammaru

    Last edited by Vrael; 04-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.

  17. Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 238 247
    Vrael's Avatar
    Vrael is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 247 238
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    That's why it is one of the hardest serves to do. Many people can't put backspin on the serves, and when they do, it is not absolutely heavy (only deceptively heavy), so many pros don't like that and prefer their higher quality spinny variants. For me, I can't serve it as reliably short and heavy as I can do with most of my other serves.
    When I had opportunity to hit with Kizukuri Yuto I have put into the net ~25% of his reverse pendelum backspin serves even when I knew they are backspin .

    When I was serving I cheated and tried to put different spins, but he read ALMOST everything. Once he received my serve into the net and I will never forget his and his coach's suprise when that happened.

    The Following User Likes Vrael's Post:

    NextLevel


  18. Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    #18
    BTW, I found that it is much easier to serve backspin on the reverse backspin serve from forehand diagonally to a rightie's forehand than from backhand diagonally. While serving from forehand, one does not need to move the elbow that much to the side to line the racket up properly for the backspin swing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.