My top all wood blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
In order from favorite to least favorite of the top. Let me know your favorites and why.

1. OSP virtuoso -/+

All the osp blades are great, cant pinpoint one specifically.​

2. Nexy Peterpan

Definitely one to try, i wish more people would test out the nexy blades

3. Clipper blades

These speak for themselves and i recommend these to new players often.

4. Nittaku Violin

While the tenor and the acoustic are also fabulous nittaku 5 ply blades the violin seems to offer the most flex and control.

NOTABLE MENTIONS

1. Rosewood blades, i've never actually had the chance to try one but they're extremely popular and i assume it's for good reason.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In order from favorite to least favorite of the top. Let me know your favorites and why.

1. OSP virtuoso -/+

All the osp blades are great, cant pinpoint one specifically.​

2. Nexy Peterpan

Definitely one to try, i wish more people would test out the nexy blades

3. Clipper blades

These speak for themselves and i recommend these to new players often.

4. Nittaku Violin

While the tenor and the acoustic are also fabulous nittaku 5 ply blades the violin seems to offer the most flex and control.

NOTABLE MENTIONS

1. Rosewood blades, i've never actually had the chance to try one but they're extremely popular and i assume it's for good reason.

Great post. Great subject. So many good all wood blades.

My favorite right now is my OSP Virtuoso +.

My Virtuoso Off- may have more feeling and more flex but there is something about the Plus that is a perfect balance.

The Nexy Peter Pan is great too.

And the Kim Jung Hoon Tibhar (designed by Nexy) is awesome. It is like a 7 ply Peter Pan. More speed but not too much.

I would put the Clipper and the Rosewood blades right in the same category of good. If you like lighter and 5 ply Rosewood V NCT or Rosewood XO. If you want a 7 ply powerhouse, Clipper. If you ever play one of the ones that was made in the 1990s, those are friggin' amazing. In the 90s the Clipper was 6mm instead of 7mm.

Avalox P-700 used to be pretty amazing as well. If you got one of those from the 1990s that would play amazing as well.

Avalox P-500 was pretty great also. Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto.

Which reminds me, the OSP V'King is also darn good. It had the same ply construction as the P-500 but it is faster by a decent amount.

So many good all wood blades.

Butterfly Primorac Off-

Stiga Allround Evolution
Stiga Tube Allround
Nittaku Acoustic (I actually have never tried the Violin but that would be fun to try).

A good Clipper or a good Avalox P-700 is probably some of the best blades ever. Companies like Nexy with Peter Pan and OSP with the Virtuoso blades have done a great job of duplicating that great all wood feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
All these blades are jokers when compared to a Yasaka Extra.

On a more serious note, it is a mistake to think too seriously in terms of branded blades, IMO, when it comes to all wood. The classic constructions tend to play fairly similar and are all good with a few subtle differences in handle and balance that may be a big deal, but in my experience, are not. So I think in terms of plies, thicknesses and the woods used to make them.

I mean, if I listed Xiom Offensive S and Tibhar Stratus Powerwood vs, the Korbel, am I listing 3 blades or one blade with variants? I would say variants, others would say 3 blades.

My favorite outer plies are Anegre (Yasaka Extra, Double Day Loop King - which is an ALC blade) and limba (Stratus Powerwood, Force Pro Blue Edition) and I tend to like OFF- or OFF blades but somewhere in that region with a very grippy high spin rubber (T05, MX-S, Big Dipper).

The KJH has tempted me but the price and my surfeit of blades has kept me off it. Right now, I am going to give my Loopking and Big Dipper an extended ride and see what happens because I want to become an off the bounce counterlooping maniac.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
All these blades are jokers when compared to a Yasaka Extra.

You have to remember that such reasoning is subjective, and not all would share this opinion. Just saying. :p
This being an all wood discussion I do not have much experience... But I have tried Stiga Intensity Nct v and I own a Yinhe/galaxy W6, which is fun to play with once in a while.

Avalox P-500 was pretty great also. Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto.

Which reminds me, the OSP V'King is also darn good. It had the same ply construction as the P-500 but it is faster by a decent amount.

Nittaku Acoustic (I actually have never tried the Violin but that would be fun to try).

That's interesting, DHS Hurricane Hao has the same composition, Hao III's only difference is it's Fiber Glass core instead of ayus.
I have a certain idea of how it would feel like, that composition does sound pretty good, if I'd have to go for an all wood blade. :p
Also, I've always wanted to try the Nittaku Violin (well, and Barewell Fleet tbh, but that's not all-wood).
As several claim this to be the blade with the best feel, wonder how it compares to the Galaxy W6 for example. Which has the best dwell among all my tested blades and OP long trajectory loops.

Osp Viruso+ and Tibhar Kimg Jung Hoon sounds interesting too.
I've grown fond of the Koto top ply, but as I have yet to try Hinoki/Cypress wood, Rosewood and several others,
I can't say I'm certain on which wood type I'd favor more lol.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is a big point to what NextLevel is saying about how many blades with the same wood plies feel similar. But there is more to it than that. For instance, the Korbel and Primorac blades from Butterfly have the same wood plies as the Virtuoso and the V+. But the ply thickness and the gluing process are different and they feel very different. V & V+ feel more like Stiga blades that have only the top ply Limba.

Also, I used to think that the blades with the best feeling were always more delicate and easy to break. For instance most Stiga blades are pretty delicate. If you hit the side of the table you get a lot of damage. Most Butterfly blades like the Korbel and Primorac have a denser feel, are way more solid, withstand much more abuse, but play with a less crisp feel.

These OSP blades are REALLY solid. I have accidentally messed up and slammed the edge of my blade into the sharp edge of the table and even into a wall when I was looping without enough space, and the damage to the blade was almost non-existent. I have a feeling that has to do with the quality of the wood and the gluing process.

I think the choice of wood and the gluing process affect how a blade plays and feels as well.

However, for the most part, most of the time, a blade with Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba or Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba will play a lot like other blades with those plies.

There is one more exception to that: when a blade like the Peter Pan or Kim Jung Hoon blade have heat treated (or "burned") wood plies it does something interesting to how much feeling the wood has.

I have explained a few ways that some blade making companies make blades with the same ply construction feel different. But, in spite of the anomalies, for the most part, NextLevel is really correct.

@ NextLevel, one day we will run into each other in person. When we do, you can try my KJH blade if you want.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl,

I agree with you that there is more to it than that. I gave away my Primorac OFF-, my first real blade. I tried it with different rubbers looking for the magic combo when I became a better player, but whether it was the flare handle or the feeling, I never liked it. Now look at all the blades I give positive reviews and make sense of that... well, your comments do.

I love the Stratus Powerwood and now have an Offensive S. I am committed right now though to rehabilitating my Loop King and continuing with my Extras. It might be my first long term composite blade since I broke 1800 - I can see myself using this for the next half year, though I think the rubbers are part of it.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. A lot of people say that those Butterfly all wood blades have good feeling. I know they have good control and that you can feel the ball and learn to spin well with them. The Primorac I had, I gave to a friend who was learning. And it was a rare one that was pretty darn good. But, to me, most of those Butterfly all wood blades play and feel like furniture. I think the top ply is too thick but there is something they do either in the gluing or the treating of the wood that makes it play like the leg of a chair or something. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yep. A lot of people say that those Butterfly all wood blades have good feeling. I know they have good control and that you can feel the ball and learn to spin well with them. The Primorac I had, I gave to a friend who was learning. And it was a rare one that was pretty darn good. But, to me, most of those Butterfly all wood blades play and feel like furniture. I think the top ply is too thick but there is something they do either in the gluing or the treating of the wood that makes it play like the leg of a chair or something. Hahaha.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Bullseye!!!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That's interesting, DHS Hurricane Hao has the same composition, Hao III's only difference is it's Fiber Glass core instead of ayus.

Hurricane King also. There are a decent few blades with this construction:

Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto

Avalox P-500
Avalox BT-550
Butterfly Kong Linghui
Xiom Fuga

And already mentioned:

DHS Hurricane King
DHS Hurricane Hao
OSP V'King

My V'King is pretty fast for an all wood 5 ply blade. It is a hair slower than a TB ALC or a Clipper. I have a friend with a Hurricane King and that feels great but is a few notches slower than my V'King. But I did get them to make my V'King as heavy as they could with a 150mm x 157mm head.

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I am committed right now though to rehabilitating my Loop King and continuing with my Extras.

Which blade exactly is the "Loop king" when I bought Galaxy W6, it was labeled on ebay as the "loop king", but you never mentioned it by name, so, are you thinking of that one or a different blade?
I've tried to find the composition of Galaxy W6 btw, the only problem is that, I found one source saying it had a kiri core, and a similar feel as Acoustic. "Because they both have a kiri core" (on mytabletennis)
Same thread also said OSP Virtuoso+ would be one of the faster, yet soft feel alternatives to W6. Interesting.
While tennis-de-table said Galaxy/Yinhe W6 = angola - ayous - ayous - ayous - angola, but what source might he have?
- http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-62906-1.html

And one guy (quote) said: "Some forum lists have pegged this blade as a sub for Yasaka Extra. I've never tried YE, but I always hear it's slow. This one isn't that slow to me. I'd call it on the up side of off-."
But well, I presume it's not that different from YE, therefore, the "loop king" might actually be the W6, yes? :v

EDIT:
Nice, I decided to read down on the mytabletennis thread and then a wild pnachtwey appeared... xD
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53154&PN=1&title=upgrade-on-galaxy-w6

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Which blade exactly is the "Loop king" when I bought Galaxy W6, it was labeled on ebay as the "loop king", but you never mentioned it by name, so, are you thinking of that one or a different blade?

But well, I presume it's not that different from YE, therefore, the "loop king" might actually be the W6, yes? :v
This is by Double Day, not Galaxy. Double Day used to make the Black Tag Butterfly blades.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71755&title=double-day-valiant-loop-king-review
http://www.ping-pong.tw/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=50&products_id=3825

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
What a great thread. I ran across this after searching "Limba". Was hoping to find a listing of blades that use Limba in one place. I'm starting to get pretty interested in compositional make up of different blades. lots of good info here.
I recently chipped power wood, my favorite blade on the edge of the table. I will replace it, it's to good and affordable not to. But I was also wondering if anyone knows of a thinner offense off- looping blade (5.7 ballpark) that is using Limba as a outer ply. So roughly the virtuoso make up at about half the price? Some Day when I can justify it I will give the virtuoso off- a try.

the more I read about the composition of blades the more interesting what Nexy has been doing with their blades as become. Color, spear, Spartacus, Peter Pan, even calix. Look interesting. Obviously they're not all Limba, some hinoki and composite blades, and many would not be right for me but interesting nonetheless. I will keep an eye out for information on blades since there seems to be some good info, reviews but I Didn't find a ton or I don't know where to look. I actually thought the Spartacus blade sounded interesting after reading comparisons in a Peter Pan review.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
What a great thread. I ran across this after searching "Limba". Was hoping to find a listing of blades that use Limba in one place. I'm starting to get pretty interested in compositional make up of different blades. lots of good info here.
I recently chipped power wood, my favorite blade on the edge of the table. I will replace it, it's to good and affordable not to. But I was also wondering if anyone knows of a thinner offense off- looping blade (5.7 ballpark) that is using Limba as a outer ply. So roughly the virtuoso make up at about half the price? Some Day when I can justify it I will give the virtuoso off- a try.

the more I read about the composition of blades the more interesting what Nexy has been doing with their blades as become. Color, spear, Spartacus, Peter Pan, even calix. Look interesting. Obviously they're not all Limba, some hinoki and composite blades, and many would not be right for me but interesting nonetheless. I will keep an eye out for information on blades since there seems to be some good info, reviews but I Didn't find a ton or I don't know where to look. I actually thought the Spartacus blade sounded interesting after reading comparisons in a Peter Pan review.
If you're interested in blade compositions, you definitely should take a look at this website: http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl