Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon Beast Mod

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ya know it's that time of year when Der_Echte goes on teh forum with a blade disassembly Beast Mode mod, eh?

As I suspected, Kim Jung Hoon did NOT have any of the blade neck hollowed, but the handles are SLIGHTLY, like halfway hollow. Good news as that means it was already a SOLID blade.

SO, I filled in empty space on one handle and called it a day.

Original Stock weight: 89g

k4.jpg

Added in some paper clips and glue.

k3.jpg

Glued handle back on and added the grip tape. NEW weight: 101 grams.

k2.jpg

Added rubbers and total weight: 201 grams. NICE.

k1.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was wondering what that would feel like. My money says that mine would feel even better like that. I sort of would want both sides done. But that 10 grams to be the total amount added. I am thinking wood, like toothpicks with the glue.

You really should see if you can get Rev Moon to make you one with a solid handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Ya know it's that time of year when Der_Echte goes on teh forum with a blade disassembly Beast Mode mod, eh?

As I suspected, Kim Jung Hoon did NOT have any of the blade neck hollowed, but the handles are SLIGHTLY, like halfway hollow. Good news as that means it was already a SOLID blade.

SO, I filled in empty space on one handle and called it a day.

Original Stock weight: 89g

View attachment 7999

Added in some paper clips and glue.

View attachment 8000

Glued handle back on and added the grip tape. NEW weight: 101 grams.

View attachment 8001

Added rubbers and total weight: 201 grams. NICE.

View attachment 8002
wow nice! I have the very same blade as my main weapon. I use Hexer HD on FH and Moristo DF on BH playing push block at the table and counter 2-3 steps away.
Can you share what playing qualities will be affected by your modifications?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
How can i change my handle from a donic power allround wood and over to a Donic baum cork wood.
My donic power grip is the best and i want to get it over to my donic baum wood if it possible

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hmm... why doesn't Nexy build a blade without a hollowed handle or at least something less hollow....

Is that Par Gerrell at the Czech Open? Gotta go!

Most brands have the hollow go through the handle like the pics from the other thread. So in a sense, that is less hollow. But it is too bad that so many companies make the handle hollow even on blades where they make it look like the handle is solid.

That hollow goes through the handle and the plies of the blade so it is 2x more hollow.

But the real question is, why are they hollow at all? Any of them. And the answer is MARKETING. People have been fooled to think 85 grams is good and 90-95 grams is too heavy. And people have also been tricked into thinking a head balanced blade is better for offense. That is not really true. And an 85 gram blade with a hollow handle still sort of feels like the same weight as if they had just made the handle solid (so, about 90-95 grams).

I am not sure if Yasaka makes solid or hollow handles. But if their handles are solid they are the only major TT company in that boat.

It is one of the things I do really like about OSP. I am pretty sure their handles are not hollow.

Sent from my SolidPhone using HollowTalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Im not planing to get a phd in physics, but...

In head to head comparison, the blades Ive got with a solid handle, (one beast-mod and one unaltered original) outplays the "WRB"/hollow handle ones with equal/same rubbers.
Both my remaining WRB blades will gett proper beast-mods as soon as I find the wood-glue!
It adds punch. Cant explain it better. Sure its a matter of weight and balance, but the end result has been more punch. And I love it!

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't think it is purely marketing. If you read the blog thoughtsontabletennis.com, he gives an explanation in terms of where some of the vibrations of the blade need to go to for optimal feeling.

Would still be nice to know whether there aren't benefits to making the holes smaller.

Well, I am not sure what other people say about the hollow handle thing. I am happy to read.

But I have tried a few blades that I got to feel a before after test on. All the blades were good blades. So the felt good before the modification. But this is what I noticed after:

1) the blade felt faster.
2) it felt like you could get faster bat speed and more whipping action.
3) the blade actually felt LIGHTER.
4) the blade had a more solid feeling.
5) there was less unwanted vibrations and better overall feeling.

That was with 3 different blades I felt. The results were consistent. Then I started thinking about the hollow handle thing. I don't really known that became the industry standard. But I made that assumption that a decent amount of it had to do with marketing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think for me, I would really only want the original wood back in there anyway. But it is an interesting question.

However, if the blade was 89 grams and now it weighs 102 grams, and part of the weight is glue, then, by weight, it is still more than 85 percent wood since that is an all wood blade.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
wow nice! I have the very same blade as my main weapon. I use Hexer HD on FH and Moristo DF on BH playing push block at the table and counter 2-3 steps away.
Can you share what playing qualities will be affected by your modifications?

Well, the blade does the same things, but the acceleration and impact feel are a tad better.

This blade had a solid neck area, so it was pretty close to its full potential already for feel and impact.

This mod did not improve it to the degree it did the Allround Evolution, which Carl had a hit with it said i turned it into an Offensive evolution.

I got maybe a 3-5% increase in feel and top end on strong impact, not a lot, but I feel better with a little more weight low. In stock form, this blade wasn't all that off balance and it felt great at impact already.

Reactions: Knuckle Ball
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hmm... why doesn't Nexy build a blade without a hollowed handle or at least something less hollow....

Is that Par Gerrell at the Czech Open? Gotta go!

I get you, but theere is NO WAY a modern TT company that tries to mass market its blades would be able to sell a 90g+ blade en mass, let alone a "proper" weighted blade at 100g+.

Absolute NO WAY ti would sell, so no one really makes these for mass market.

In the Kim Jung Hoon blade favor, the neck is still solid and the positive effect of the mod is to address that deficiency first, along with balance and impact feel. With a solid neck blade, the impact feel is already pretty good, the extra weight, I added just the right amount at 8-9 grams (grip tape weighs 4-5 grams).

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The rules state a blade must be "continuous" and having a pocket of air in there sure isn't continuous.

How about what the rest of the big time players in the industry do to reduce or change vibration with their "Technology" that si accepted for official competition?

BTY VSG - any old time remembers they inserted a CARBON TUBE and RUBBER inside the hollowed out handle.

ANDRO KINETIC - Fill the stuff halfway with beads that move

SUPER CORE - hollow out the blade handle and add in hard foam

STIGA TUBE - leave cut slots in the blade and mill in different metals right into the inner wood layers of blade face

DHS or 729 or some company in China - TRANSFORMER - insert a screw and nut into hollowed handle adjustable to move weight up or down (maybe the only "good" factory mod I saw.)

I don't recall any riot getting started to ban blades with these technology so what would be the big deal filling in the empty space in a handle with the same stuff the blade is made of or previously accepted as a norm in the industry?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
By the way, I defeated a 1912 or 1920 level chopper with the KJH mod 3-0 ripped him a new one and fought to a 3-1 win over a Yasaka Anti wielding fellow O40 extremely skilled 1940s player.

The blade felt great, even with a 3 yr old sheet of Aurus (so what if it only got a few months of use until I started back regular TT)

I think I got my former playing level back, and maybe better close to the table BH.