Long Pimples

This user has no status.
Hi Guys,

I help coach at my local club and we have a few upcoming Juniors that have struggled with Long Pimples in competisions.

None of the players in the Club have/play with Long Pimples.

I'm going to buy a sheet of Long Pimples and a Blade , bearing in mind i don't want to spend a lot - whitch Long Pimples/Blade could you reccommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Why do you want spinny pips? For a smooth transition? It both cost money and time just aswell go with the advanced pips from the start. I play short pimples and i started out with spectol. Not the easiest rubber to start with. Go with what u want, TSP CurlP1r is a great rubber but relies on your opponents spin, Feint Long is good for spin and you can create it yourself.

Are you going to chop far away from the table? Then you need alot of sponge or OX for close to the table blocking with control and dominance.

Here a video of our local supplier in Denmark testing the Spinlord Zeitgeist OX (no sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
You can use it on both DEF and OFF, it is up to you and your preference. If you want a really slow blade or a fast blade so that you can attack with the forehand also. There are blades made especially for this. The inner veneer is different from the forehand to backhand. So you can have an OFF forehand and a DEF backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Why do you want spinny pips? For a smooth transition? It both cost money and time just aswell go with the advanced pips from the start. I play short pimples and i started out with spectol. Not the easiest rubber to start with. Go with what u want, TSP CurlP1r is a great rubber but relies on your opponents spin, Feint Long is good for spin and you can create it yourself.

Are you going to chop far away from the table? Then you need alot of sponge or OX for close to the table blocking with control and dominance.

Here a video of our local supplier in Denmark testing the Spinlord Zeitgeist OX (no sponge.

I myself started right away with DTecs.
The reason to start with grippy pips is not just only the smooth transition. Some people are better with grippy pips and defenders need it to vary the spin easier (allrounders to). FL3 for example is used by Ruwen Filus. Why don't he use Curl P1R instead ? Answer it yourself..
However, starting right away with hard-to-control pips will reward good technique.
The bad idea to start away with advance LP is that you could get frustrated and buy another pips, which make you buy another LP.
Im not saying advanced pips or un-advancade pips here. All pips work differently and not everyone use the same pips when they are good at using pips. Ding Song the great chopper of China use one of the easiest-to-control LP because it suits him naturally.

Both way works. Just find the pips most suitable and comfortable for you.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Long pips...it's either you love playing against them, or loathing it. Intermediate and novice players have torrid times facing them.
Here in Malaysia we have a serious problem in our hands. Pimple players who modified their rubbers, such as dunking them in gasoline and etc. Some even to great length in combining 2 different rubbers on 1 side. More often than not, they get away with it. I am utterly against these cheats. But, as long as the association does not act upon this, the cheats will continue to participate in the local tourneys. It's embarrassing to admit, but that's the truth.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Not a fan of long pips myself but I have tried Butterfly Feint II and they are not too bad. Tibhar Grass Dtecs are pretty whacky and the Grass Dtecs OX are even more messed up. A guy in our club started using Grass Dtecs OX and started beating a lot more people they are incredibly awkward as they have no sponge so pretty muchly drop the ball over the net. Depends what kind of style you are playing really.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
@Azlan
We also got some 'cheating' players here sir.
The modified pips (gasoline stuff) makes the ball fly weird, and the pips is somewhat bigger.. We call it 'bintik proses'.

Some don't glue long pips in the middle area of the bat, making the flight path distorted somehow..

@ModMatt
Ah, yes.. Considering you are a short pips chopper (If I'm not mistaken).
True bro, Grass DTecs needs skill to be played well :)

Mar 2011
It really is a shame Yosua. This actually dampers the development of table tennis in our region. Young players taking short cuts to progress in table tennis, not knowing that they're actually killing the art. These players usually progress to, say quarter final of a tournament, when they will be beaten by a proper TT player. They find it satisfying in a way to make life a misery to lesser players, but once they come face to face with a good player, they usually will be on the wrong side of a hiding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It really is a shame Yosua. This actually dampers the development of table tennis in our region. Young players taking short cuts to progress in table tennis, not knowing that they're actually killing the art. These players usually progress to, say quarter final of a tournament, when they will be beaten by a proper TT player. They find it satisfying in a way to make life a misery to lesser players, but once they come face to face with a good player, they usually will be on the wrong side of a hiding.

Well it's not only in your country where this happens... why? :(

But let's get back to topic ^^
Could someone explain me what effect the sponge has to long pimples?