What is the Best 40+ Plastic Ball

Here is the case:

People around me always say that Nittaku 40+ Premium is a good plastic ball, hence I gave it a try.
After 2 hours of stroke and matches, I lose a vital point when the opponent hit and 'splatted' the ball to my side of the table.

So my journey to find other better platic ball began.

Any idea for that?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think you need to make a decision based on a sample of more than one ball. :confused:

Here is what I know.

Seamless balls are the most durable (averaged over time), cheapest, have the highest bounce, and are relatively easy to transition to from celluloid. I recommend these the most for people who are first starting to play with plastic. But they are harder to spin and probably the spin affects ball flight through the air more than other plastic balls and definitely a lot more than celluloid. When they break they shatter. This usually only happens when they strike an edge very very hard. If that doesn't happen, they last an amazingly long time. They are sold under many brand names (for example XSF, Palio, Nexy, Yinhe, and now some European companies are offering a seamless option). I have found they are identical except for the label. Reports of roundness vary. I think they are ok usually, but you will find some eggs in a box now and then.

Nittaku Premium (Japan) 40+, which I will abbreviate NP40+ plays most like celluloid, is by far the roundest, smallest, lightest, and quite hard. Some people say they feel like little rocks and mistake this for being heavier (but I have weighed them carefully, they are actually lighter). Has medium durability (by plastic ball standards) and I think is about the same durability as Nittaku celluloid. In general they don't shatter, which surprised me about your comment. The external surface discolors and mars most rapidly. The are the most expensive. I personally like their playing properties the best.

You other options are for now limited to seamed balls made in China by either DHS or Double Fish factory. There is sentiment out there that Double Fish balls are better than DHS and I agreem but they are more or less the same. They are by far the heaviest when you weigh them, so much so that ITTF will not approve them come January unless they change. By far the least durable, expensive, and the lowest bounce, and hardest to adjust to. Some people will prefer the lower bounce for their style once they get used to it, because of their playing style. Most plastic balls are in this category. I will personally not use any of them if I have a choice. The bounce is way too low for me.

Butterfly is offering a ball made by a factory in Germany that is different, but as far as I can tell it is only sold in Europe and I haven't been able get any to try them. I hope they are better and suspect they will be.

All of the 40+ balls are a little larger than celluloid. NP40+ are lightest, Chinese seamed balls are the heaviest. XSF is in between. The larger diameter means they all have less spin than celluloid and fly slower in air. All seem to have rougher surfaces than celluloid. This surface roughness affects ball flight through air, and also means they react more with the table, so spin you do impart on the ball does not always persist to your opponent's racket because spin energy is dissipated in causing changes in ball trajectory and bounce. Of course that was true for a spinning celluloid ball, but it is more true for new ones, especially seamless.

This means that you will make constant little errors until you get used to this. And do not not underestimate the time it takes. When people push at you, the ball will sort of stand up and not bounce the way you are used to. The balls fall faster, so you will find that when you are away from the table, for awhile, you will be letting the ball drop too low before you hit it. Serving is especially hard to get used to. You will expend more energy playing. Be patient, in time it will all feel normal again. I actually quite like them now.

I have reached these conclusions based on 18+ months playing almost exclusively with plastic balls. Also our club has run tournaments with several brands. My samples of each of the various ball types is large and extensive (I was the first loud vocal advocate of seamless balls on English language websites). In other words, I am not saying these things based on one ball I hit with for an evening, this is based on pretty intensive study and hundreds of hours of playing time.

Once you are used to plastic balls in general -- give it at least 6 weeks -- you will find that each of the three main classes of them have their own distinct playing properties. I like seamless and I like NP40+, but if I play for a week with one type, and then switch to the other, it takes me about 90 minutes before I feel comfortable.

Of course, NP40+ biggest problem is they are almost always back ordered and hard to find.

Last edited:

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I'd like to add just a couple of points to this :-

1) NP40+ are in such short supply that I personally believe they should be regarded as vapourware until Nittaku get their act together properly. Or in plain language - you can't buy them, ergo they don't exist lol.

2) The Butterfly G40+ which Baal refers to are still being advertised as "coming soon" rather than "available now" so I suggest it's a little early to say what availability will be like. Things look hopeful, though !!

This user has no status.
From playing with them ever since they came out, the NP40+ sound and feel the closest to the old celluloid but since they are impossible to get nearly, never really played a whole competition night with one. What tends to be used most commonly are Nittaku SHAs which i believe for a poly ball aren't bad but for a table tennis ball they are terrible, half the time I would go through around 3 a night. Stiga optimums arent bad either, quite similar to the SHAs. Donics and Joolas are a step down, they aren't bad but are very light so wobble a bit more. Butterfly 40+(one that is made in china) is in the same boat as the NP40+ though I would say the Premium is a bit harder.
Honestly though seamless to me was terrible, which is quite opposite to reviews here and every where else online. The XSF 3 star 40+ seamless were the first plastic I tried and oh god. they wobbled, they broke and overall no one at my club liked them either and the whole batch turned to training balls.
So currently I reckon the Nittaku premiums are on top of the food chain but are impossible to get at decent prices.
(BTW from playing I've never broken a premium or butterfly but go through SHAs and every other ball like eating lunch)

if youre looking for a ball that will last rigorous training and play, there's none out there im afraid to break it to you.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
lycaon, yes, I agree. I am almost 100% sure that Nittaku SHA is a re-labled DHS, and in my experience they are among the worst you can buy.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I'd like to add just a couple of points to this :-

1) NP40+ are in such short supply that I personally believe they should be regarded as vapourware until Nittaku get their act together properly. Or in plain language - you can't buy them, ergo they don't exist lol.

2) The Butterfly G40+ which Baal refers to are still being advertised as "coming soon" rather than "available now" so I suggest it's a little early to say what availability will be like. Things look hopeful, though !!

We also don't know if they will suck or not. However I am very hopeful because whatever one thinks of Btfly pricing/marketing policies, as a company they have always known how to make a good product. I trust that they know that the balls they are getting from DF now suck, which is why they have gone to the trouble of partnering with someone else who has a different technology.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Well speak of the devil!

http://www.paddlepalace.com/Nittaku-3-Star-PREMIUM-40-Balls/productinfo/BNAPR/

Looks like they have some Nittaku 3-star premiums in stock now at Paddle Palace. No way I'm paying $2.50 or so per ball, though. Regardless of how good they are!

Crazy expensive, and I paid even more because most of mine have come from TT-japan, iruiru, and TTNPP. I have the impression that Nittaku is solving their supply problems because Paddlepalace is having them in stock more frequently. Of course they will sell out within hours.

Reactions: HappySpinner
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is my concept with the Poly balls. I actually like the seamless balls and their durability.

@ lycaon: it sounds like you may have gotten one of the early, bad batches. The early seamless balls were terrible and you could barely call them balls because most of them weren't round. But the ones that are out now seem pretty good.

That being said, I will be okay with using whatever ball someone else has and wants to use. But if I was in a situation where I needed to have a supply of 40+ balls to use, I would only get the seamless ones. If someone else is supplying the ball, I will play with whichever one it is and be fine.

I like the NP40+ best. I like the seamless second best. I don't really like any of the seamed balls from China, but, so far I don't have much trouble adjusting to any of them when the ball gets changed. But man the seamed balls from China are easy to break!!! [emoji2]

At some point the quality issue with the plastic balls will be sorted out. Until then, I have no intention of buying balls that break so easily that I have broken three in one match.

Btw: @ urbanzakapa: if the ball broke in the middle of a point, shouldn't that be a let?

Sent from my OuterSpacePhone using TroubleMakerTalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
if the ball breaks during mid point it is not a let because its part of the play/point

Interesting. I never saw it with the celluloid ball but I have seen it with the plastic ball where the umpire calls a let because the ball broke in the middle of the point. That is a bit lame that it did not get ruled that way. In my opinion it should be a let.

With celluloid balls, usually when they crack, you can keep playing with them and not realize they are cracked for a couple of hits and sometimes even for a couple of rallies. But when any of the plastic balls break they are instantly completely unplayable. So that should be a let.

But it is true, I am not sure that the ITTF has set a rule for that circumstance yet.

Last edited:
if the ball breaks during mid point it is not a let because its part of the play/point

That was the first time it happened in my 8 years of matches. Butthe opponent said that, they should get the point but only that one time. The next it happens, we can call it let.

But I just give them the point by the way since I am too confused on how could new NP40+ break that easy.

Btw, should it be let or my opponent were right about it?

Thanks guys for the info,

Since I played in a local club where the balls are provided, I don't really give a mind on what plastic ball should I use (same concept as @UpsideDownCarl). So far we have used NP40+ and Yinhe only.

Of course, I need to do more 'research' on other type of plastic ball.

This user has no status.
That was the first time it happened in my 8 years of matches. Butthe opponent said that, they should get the point but only that one time. The next it happens, we can call it let.

But I just give them the point by the way since I am too confused on how could new NP40+ break that easy.

Btw, should it be let or my opponent were right about it?
Normally the ref calls it a let but when a pro was observing one of the games that it happened, they said that it was still counted as a point as the ball was still in play and bounced. something along those lines

Yeah, i thought so because the ball still bounce on the table but unexpectedly weird since it is broken.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
I've tried dhs,SHA and bty seamed poly balls, but with these balls I had so many "wtf just happened?" moments, though I'm not disregarding the thought of it's mainly because of my technique. And then I gave xsf 3* seamless a try, consistency was for me very noticeable and so Im very happy with it and decided to stick to it and never tried other plastic balls since then and same goes to my pingpong buddies. Oh and the "wtfjh?" moments are way way lesser now hehe. Looking at my stash I don't think I'll be trying other plastic balls anytime soon not unless my wife decides to make XSF stew one day.... :)
uploadfromtaptalk1441416845319.jpg

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
I've tried dhs,SHA and bty seamed poly balls, but with these balls I had so many "wtf just happened?" moments, though I'm not disregarding the thought of it's mainly because of my technique. And then I gave xsf 3* seamless a try, consistency was for me very noticeable and so Im very happy with it and decided to stick to it and never tried other plastic balls since then and same goes to my pingpong buddies. Oh and the "wtfjh?" moments are way way lesser now hehe. Looking at my stash I don't think I'll be trying other plastic balls anytime soon not unless my wife decides to make XSF stew one day.... :)
View attachment 8027

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk
Wont you feel like doing donation with all those balls?
Gimme some! [emoji56]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
The XuShaoFa has been the best reviewed plastic ball to date. It seems to have the most favourable bounce and a comparatively reasonable level of durability compared to the others.

In terms of the seamed ball it's hard to get past the Nittaku Premium, it's just much better than the others on all levels. It really feels like they have done their best to give it some kind of celluloid feel to it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 2 reviews
Wont you feel like doing donation with all those balls?
Gimme some! [emoji56]

Sure, come visit sg and lets have good game and ill give you my bty, sha and dhs but not the xsf and np [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk