Evolution MX-P with Virtuoso + or V'King

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now the rubber feels really good on my Virtuoso+. I just got two good wins this week agains two guys who are both over 1900 who I have never beaten before. Not in tournaments. But I still have never beaten either of these guys and I got both of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Thanx for the update, Carl. I'm glad that combo is working very well for you, and congratulations on the nice wins.
Question about he Virtuoso +: Have you noticed any changes in the speed or feel of that blade after it's several months old (compared to when you first got it)?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Now the rubber feels really good on my Virtuoso+. I just got two good wins this week agains two guys who are both over 1900 who I have never beaten before. Not in tournaments. But I still have never beaten either of these guys and I got both of them.

You are getting better as a player - don't blame the equipment for your improved play! Let your opponents do that! Unless of course, these posts are an effort to get them started in that direction...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanx for the update, Carl. I'm glad that combo is working very well for you, and congratulations on the nice wins.
Question about he Virtuoso +: Have you noticed any changes in the speed or feel of that blade after it's several months old (compared to when you first got it)?

These blades feel better and better as they get older. That happened with all 4 of my OSP blades. The feeling gets better as the wood ages a bit. But I have not felt or noticed a change in the speed. I am using the V+ for 6 months now. My Virtuoso Off- is about 1 year old. Same thing. Perhaps in another year or two the speed will change. But I doubt it. I seal my blades so the water based glue should not damage the blade and make it slower.

You are getting better as a player - don't blame the equipment for your improved play! Let your opponents do that! Unless of course, these posts are an effort to get them started in that direction...

You are right. It was not the equipment. I was ready much more ready in open rallies for the balls that came back and the longer rallies. I was better at receiving serves. Even that day when we all got together and played, I feel like that helped my reset time improve a little. But M Landers has been doing a few drills with me to make me set faster and move better. In and out serve and receive drills. He also showed me a little detail that gave my forehand much more power. :)

But, the rubber feels good on the racket now. I hit with a brand new sheet of Victas on a different racket yesterday for about min and I can feel that the Evolution MX-P gets more spin and the topsheet grabs the ball better. So, it makes me happy that it feels good on this blade.

Reactions: slevin
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
He was a T05 user and wanted a T05 substitute. He did try my MX-S and felt that the sponge hardness would be a challenge for his away from the table game where MX-S provides less catapult. He is not the usual penholder if you watch the match - penhold just supports the game he likes to play.

And yes, I am recommending 2.0 mm MX-P. I have used it before and it was heavy enough that if I used it vs T05 in max, I wouldn't know the difference.

I've now ordered a MX-P (and some Xushaofa plastic balls for testing, hue) instead of going for another Tenzone Ultra, as that would be more expensive too. I was just reading some and came over a short review on the MX-S: "I switched from MX-P to MX-S max on both wings. MX-S sponge is a bit harder but topsheet is softer than MX-P. It has less catapult, more spin and is a bit slower than MX-P. Very good grip, easier to handle in short-short or serves. Massive spin for topspins."
Would this description be correct according to you? If yes, there would not be any major downturn to atempting MX-S if I feel like I want this change instead of what I get from the MX-P? (though not sure wether I would want it or not yet)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've now ordered a MX-P (and some Xushaofa plastic balls for testing, hue) instead of going for another Tenzone Ultra, as that would be more expensive too. I was just reading some and came over a short review on the MX-S: "I switched from MX-P to MX-S max on both wings. MX-S sponge is a bit harder but topsheet is softer than MX-P. It has less catapult, more spin and is a bit slower than MX-P. Very good grip, easier to handle in short-short or serves. Massive spin for topspins."
Would this description be correct according to you? If yes, there would not be any major downturn to atempting MX-S if I feel like I want this change instead of what I get from the MX-P? (though not sure wether I would want it or not yet)

The description is accurate. I believe all high quality rubbers can be adapted to if one is given time to adapt to them. It really comes down to feel and preference. MX-P plays more like Tenergy 05 while MX-S seems directed at that person who likes to use Chinese type rubbers and needs/uses less catapult from distance. Paul Drinkhall reviewed both rubbers. In the bigger scheme, they feel different but aren't that different except to someone with a strong preference for one based on a specific strength. I would probably play at the same level with both of them after using them for 2 months because they are both high performance rubbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizoku
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
Shameless plug: If anyone is interested in buying a practically new (10 min old) 86.5 gm SQST M-sized OSP Virtuoso+ for 20% discount, please PM me. I'll also include a complimentary 3 weeks old MX-P max rubber for you to try it with.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
These blades feel better and better as they get older. That happened with all 4 of my OSP blades. The feeling gets better as the wood ages a bit. But I have not felt or noticed a change in the speed. I am using the V+ for 6 months now. My Virtuoso Off- is about 1 year old. Same thing. Perhaps in another year or two the speed will change. But I doubt it. I seal my blades so the water based glue should not damage the blade and make it slower.

You are right. It was not the equipment. I was ready much more ready in open rallies for the balls that came back and the longer rallies. I was better at receiving serves. Even that day when we all got together and played, I feel like that helped my reset time improve a little. But M Landers has been doing a few drills with me to make me set faster and move better. In and out serve and receive drills. He also showed me a little detail that gave my forehand much more power. :)

But, the rubber feels good on the racket now. I hit with a brand new sheet of Victas on a different racket yesterday for about min and I can feel that the Evolution MX-P gets more spin and the topsheet grabs the ball better. So, it makes me happy that it feels good on this blade.

Haha, THAT must have been the reason when on Day 2 of my last NYC trip at SPiN, despite all the LOUD unbearable noise there, I hit 19 of my last 20 loops in rally drill with PP Holic... despite me beforehand saying MX-P would work a lot better on a stiffer and more solid blade... You thought I had been playing with that setup my whole life.

THAT is why I play with rediculously old serviceable rubbers on both sides, so when I get a new blade with new rubbers I feel like a NEW MAN. :D

EDIT: Der_Echte doesn't edit hiz posts very much, but when he does, he says he meant to say he waz using Carl's OSP + with MX-P both sides.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha, THAT must have been the reason when on Day 2 of my last NYC trip at SPiN, despite all the LOUD unbearable noise there, I hit 19 of my last 20 loops in rally drill with PP Holic... despite me beforehand saying MX-P would work a lot better on a stiffer and more solid blade... You thought I had been playing with that setup my whole life.

THAT is why I play with rediculously old serviceable rubbers on both sides, so when I get a new blade with new rubbers I feel like a NEW MAN. :D

EDIT: Der_Echte doesn't edit hiz posts very much, but when he does, he says he meant to say he waz using Carl's OSP + with MX-P both sides.

You did look like you had been using that setup for a long time and like it was made for you.

But, you know, we both like heavy setups. And the weight of my V+ seems to have a Der_Meister knockout punch to it. 200 grams seems like the magic number. All that inertia behind the ball on impact.

Sent from MesozoicEra via TroubleMakerTimeWarp

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Bump.

Carl, not sure if you saw my previous post. I'm curious what your impressions are now w/ your V+ w/ MX-P.

You are right. I totally missed this. Go figure.

But I did think I answered this question earlier in the thread. But, you know me, I am always happy to blab some more and pontificate on this kind of subject.

Once I got used to how much harder the MX-P is than the Victas Stiff, I started digging into the ball better and getting the ball to sink into the sponge the right amount and then, as soon as I had that touch the blade felt great with the rubbers.

For a while I was thinking that perhaps MX-P was too hard for my BH and I am still going to try EL-P and FX-P on BH but the MX-P is working for me on BH.

So, I guess it was a matter of getting used to the rubber. But it was easier to feel a harder blade (the V'King) with this rubber than the softer V+.

I think I am using the rubber 2 months now and it still is working great for me. The rubber looks visibly worn but still generates great spin and the sponge is still performing excellently.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Amazingly, when I had my 2 minute hit Carl's V+ w/MX-P both sides, it felt like I couldn't miss, and I think I missed one shot out of 30 with PP Holic putting the ball in my zone. Carl will better describe what the ball did when it left the bat. This was an hour before SPiN turned insane and went Broadway crazy LOUD and dark.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Amazingly, when I had my 2 minute hit Carl's V+ w/MX-P both sides, it felt like I couldn't miss, and I think I missed one shot out of 30 with PP Holic putting the ball in my zone. Carl will better describe what the ball did when it left the bat. This was an hour before SPiN turned insane and went Broadway crazy LOUD and dark.

Yep. Spinny loops. Lots of arc.

Der, you'll be happy to hear that the crazy DJ for the Broadway Musical night got into an argument with Management and got fired so no more Show Tune Sunday. It was pretty awful. Hahaha.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: NextLevel