TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think it worth money.new updates ,new games and a lot of fun.

@vik

Pls tell everyone how much the money is and what value you/we get. I would bet lunch that there are compelling arguments indicating TT Edge's app has value, likely even more value than the cost of the enhanced app(s).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
"Relaxation is actually the result of great technique and it's never the other way around.
That line really struck a chord with me. Often I've had coaches tell me to be more relaxed but I think in retrospect this wasn't the best way to help me improve my technique as I would simply repeat my mistake albeit in what I thought was a more relaxed way.

says Aging is a killer
That line really struck a chord with me. Often I've had coaches tell me to be more relaxed but I think in retrospect this wasn't the best way to help me improve my technique as I would simply repeat my mistake albeit in what I thought was a more relaxed way.
I agree, but he should have said 'good' or proper' technique rather than 'great'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
It's all semantics of course.
I know many players with very relaxed, good stokes but not great technique. Having great technique, to me, indicates advanced TT play.

Relaxation comes first definitely, but of course it does not equals great or proper technique. But without relaxation you wont achieve great/fluid strokes

This user has no status.
I’ve loved Brett’s videos – they’ve really developed my serve, but I’m having difficulty getting my head around this one. If you’re making contact (with your FH loop) when your arm is outstretched, what happened to the quick elbow flew that we’ve always been told to do in our FH loops? Is this supposed to happen after contact? For me, that doesn’t make sense. I think it makes sense to make contact when the elbow joint is moving fastest – between its position when they arm is fully stretch and when it is a right angles (the salute at the end of the stroke). If you’re making contact with a straight arm – you’re not using your elbow as a fulcrum at all – and therefore not bringing your biceps – or basically any of your arm muscles - into the shot. All the power is from the core/shoulder joint. I agree that the shot should start with a straight arm – but there should be a (conscious) elbow flex before contact. Also, when you make contact with the ball so far from the body – there is far less control. I’m not convinced this is the best technique for FH loop – even for professionals – even if it might be optimal in terms of speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I’ve loved Brett’s videos – they’ve really developed my serve, but I’m having difficulty getting my head around this one. If you’re making contact (with your FH loop) when your arm is outstretched, what happened to the quick elbow flew that we’ve always been told to do in our FH loops? Is this supposed to happen after contact? For me, that doesn’t make sense. I think it makes sense to make contact when the elbow joint is moving fastest – between its position when they arm is fully stretch and when it is a right angles (the salute at the end of the stroke). If you’re making contact with a straight arm – you’re not using your elbow as a fulcrum at all – and therefore not bringing your biceps – or basically any of your arm muscles - into the shot. All the power is from the core/shoulder joint. I agree that the shot should start with a straight arm – but there should be a (conscious) elbow flex before contact. Also, when you make contact with the ball so far from the body – there is far less control. I’m not convinced this is the best technique for FH loop – even for professionals – even if it might be optimal in terms of speed.

Brett does teach an elbow/forearm snap right before you hit the ball, so the arm won't be completely straight at the moment of contact.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

This is a kill shot for easy balls. The one thing to note about top Chinese players is that their training enables them to adapt their swing size and technique to the quality of the ball. Xu Xin often loops like this especially when playing choppers. There is a bending of the arm in this stroke depending on execution but it is not always visible or necessary. Racket head speed is best executed by whip mechanics and when you think about it whips don't have elbows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I would be interested in hearing a response to d nizzle post as well. Is this just a slight difference in coaching technique or philosophy? Or an example of the Chinese vs more euro forehand maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I would be interested in hearing a response to d nizzle post as well. Is this just a slight difference in coaching technique or philosophy? Or an example of the Chinese vs more euro forehand maybe?

I think that having a whip is a difference between an "OK technique" and a "Great technique." Other pros have some whip even if they don't straighten the arm. For example, Timo Boll's forehand is uber-whippy. IMHO the most obvious whip is in Ma Lin's technique: he used the shot against "easy balls" in most of the situations, looping with straight arm even against blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
This is a kill shot for easy balls. The one thing to note about top Chinese players is that their training enables them to adapt their swing size and technique to the quality of the ball. Xu Xin often loops like this especially when playing choppers. There is a bending of the arm in this stroke depending on execution but it is not always visible or necessary. Racket head speed is best executed by whip mechanics and when you think about it whips don't have elbows.

That works both ways, though. I agree with the whip action - but our arms aren't straight pieces of string. So, maybe we should be making use of our elbows, or at least factoring them into the equation.
First of all, though, I have lots of respect for Brett - so my assumption is that I'm wrong - but still I'd like to know why I'm wrong!
Did he say in the video that this is a 'kill shot'? It seemed to me like he was referencing this shot as the optimal FH loop? And if this shot is a kill shot .. then why should one use this against a week return and a 'bent-arm (at contact) FH loop' against a 'good return'?
Of course, one has to adapt in a game - and if you're footwork doesn't get you far away enough from the ball - you'll be forced to have a bent arm at contact - but I'm still not sure whether having a straight arm at contact is optimal - or whether it's useful for beginner/intermediate players.
I actually tried a straight arm contact FH loop and practiced it for a year or so. And I've got to say it set me back a lot. It just wasn't working for me and I wasted a lot of development time over it. Now, I'm more a Boll/Mitzutani but I try to have a full arm backswing.There's less speed but it makes up for it in spin and control.
I agree with the dude above that there are different ways to get a whip action - and that's the most important factor. At the end of the day, that's what everyone's approach to technique should be I think - there's more than one way to skin a cat - to put it very gruesomely ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Did he say in the video that this is a 'kill shot'?

I think that this shot is referenced as a finishing one in earlier videos of the series which are accessible to subscribers of TTEdge only.

then why should one use this against a week return and a 'bent-arm (at contact) FH loop' against a 'good return'?

It is about being in a good position. If the ball (an "easy one") comes slowly, you have time for the huge backswing. If the ball is fast, the timing becomes very challenging and it is easier to not straighten the arm completely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That works both ways, though. I agree with the whip action - but our arms aren't straight pieces of string. So, maybe we should be making use of our elbows, or at least factoring them into the equation.
First of all, though, I have lots of respect for Brett - so my assumption is that I'm wrong - but still I'd like to know why I'm wrong!
Did he say in the video that this is a 'kill shot'? It seemed to me like he was referencing this shot as the optimal FH loop? And if this shot is a kill shot .. then why should one use this against a week return and a 'bent-arm (at contact) FH loop' against a 'good return'?
Of course, one has to adapt in a game - and if you're footwork doesn't get you far away enough from the ball - you'll be forced to have a bent arm at contact - but I'm still not sure whether having a straight arm at contact is optimal - or whether it's useful for beginner/intermediate players.
I actually tried a straight arm contact FH loop and practiced it for a year or so. And I've got to say it set me back a lot. It just wasn't working for me and I wasted a lot of development time over it. Now, I'm more a Boll/Mitzutani but I try to have a full arm backswing.There's less speed but it makes up for it in spin and control.
I agree with the dude above that there are different ways to get a whip action - and that's the most important factor. At the end of the day, that's what everyone's approach to technique should be I think - there's more than one way to skin a cat - to put it very gruesomely ...

This video is a part 2 video. I guess this is what happens when you release part 2 and many people haven't seen part 1.

Ma Long and Xu Xin don't swing at every ball the same way. You can look at their videos and see that, moreso for Ma Long than for Xu Xin as Xu Xin straightens his arm more often. Here is a video Brett posted (he asks you to identify how many bent arm loops Xu Xin hits in this video):

If you were to use a bent arm return against a harder ball, its simply because a larger stroke is harder to time - its the same reason you block a fast ball but you can counterloop a slower one.

I will say without a doubt that my straight arm looping selection is one of my biggest strengths and the key is always knowing when and where to select it. It is hard to deploy close to table against fast shots so most people who use it will have to play from distance. In the video, Brett identifies some of hte problems people have when using the shot (they don't know how to get whip with it and tend to sit on the backswing). Its not easy to coach a straight arm loop unless you understand it and do it and most coaches I know don't have a clue about it.