TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

This user has no status.
Had a great shadowplay session yesterday after reading the following at a "critique my video" post at the neighbours;

The only major thing you are missing is the execution of a left side hip extension to add power from the legs/torso to the shot. This is the action of opening up the left hip joint as if you are standing up from a chair. In fact you could use a chair to help you get the idea. Put a chair behind with a pillow or cushion on it. Squat down as if you are going to sit but lightly touch the cushion/chair with your left butt cheek. When the ball comes move as if to get up from the seated position. as you are rising begin your arm swing. Be careful not to go out of order, you must initiate the standing action before you begin your arm swing. When you have the two actions blended together into one smooth action then you can take away the chair.

The moment I read this, I knew I'm starting leg press up and arm movement [forward swing] too much similtaneously, thus loosing power from the legs and waist. The shadow play on FH and BH loop last night confirmed this. In line with Next Level's advice I built it up slowly and the resuls in term of feeling the flow of power from feet to arm was great. 100% sure this will lead to additional spin, though probably need to (shadow)train this for some months to become natural.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Had a great shadowplay session yesterday after reading the following at a "critique my video" post at the neighbours;

The moment I read this, I knew I'm starting leg press up and arm movement [forward swing] too much similtaneously, thus loosing power from the legs and waist. The shadow play on FH and BH loop last night confirmed this. In line with Next Level's advice I built it up slowly and the resuls in term of feeling the flow of power from feet to arm was great. 100% sure this will lead to additional spin, though probably need to (shadow)train this for some months to become natural.

99% of the same effect comes from turning your shoulders while your knees are bent. The bottom line is that you just have to use proper and natural technique. IF you throw a ball/frisbee or punch a bag, how do you generate power? The loop uses 95%-100% of the same motions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
If you want to hit the ball into the roof, it would help to straighten the legs. Sometimes you will see players straighten the legs against very heavy chop when they have time between shots, however keeping the legs bent the entire time is generally optimal.

This user has no status.
Great advice Brett.
Exactly in line with my experiene last night behind the table. I found the leg extension/rise helpfull at heavy backspin but during a multiball session (less time) with lower level of backspin it turned out to be very inefficient and keeping the knees bent resulted in a higher quality.
Also doing the movements in sequence resulted in more power/spin but I was faced with lack of time on many occasion. I'll keep on experimenting with this for a while.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
On a slightly more serious note, one of the things I appreciated yesterday that with more footwork drilling, my timing for moving towards the ball would be different. What do I mean?

I am realizing that moving towards the ball when it is hit is not necessarily a good thing! It's often better to move to a ball further away from you when you have an idea of where it will land. If you look at the cross step that I am executing, it's a better quality shot in some instances than the shot I would get if I didn't have to move to the ball as my body's momentum raises the quality of the result.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I find your statements interesting in light of why I am trying to do this. While I may or may not use these movements in matches as much as I would hope to, I want my body to perform more like that of a TT player. And I think trying these things out and learning them makes me think more like one and helps me understand the game better. Andy's work really inspired me because he really changed a lot after all the shadow stroking.

I think NL is being realistic. I saw him in person exactly ONE time. That is enough to know what he can do now and along the way to the "Next" level. Pun intended.

Next Level COULD play a close to the table game that never uses Cross-Over Footwork and maintain a 2000+ USATT rating and true playing level.

NL likely wants to KNOW how to do the various footworks under pressure in a match so IF he decides to temporarily sacrifice teh body, he has an effective option.

I have seen a lot of O60 gents who are 2000+ USATT level and have been for over 20 yrs have knees literally 10x-25x WORSE than Next Level's knees and absolutely do NOT do any cross-over footwork. They are physically incapable. They keep their playing level that high by great anticipation, ability to move slowly, but early and effective into position, and their touch, plus courage to attack. They are good at a Gumby bend, a micro step, a shuffle step (mini 2 step) and a one step to the ball. That is it for their footwork, yet they can run circles around the 1900ish junior and adult crowd and put them in tears.

That is why I think NL can get by without a Cross-Over Step, but what the heck, having that in your pocket ready to break out when you want it is a good thing. Tis good to have options and know how to use them without hesitation or thinking about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Cue debate about the throw and flight of the ball...

Nevertheless, Brett, thanks for your very useful videos. I enjoy them very much and use them for my or my students' development.

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you've taken something away from my work.

As for the ball toss, NextLevel clearly didn't care and he was just getting the feel for the serve. My ball toss is probably what you were referring to? It's pretty close I guess, though I've seen a lot worse from some very good players.

Cheers, Brett

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So punch and hook are just 2 different names for the same thing?

I can say that I envision my delivery as coming from somewhere different than where yours comes from. But how I think of it and what I am doing may not be the same thing. Also, it looks like Brett is leading with the tip and I am leading with the side, almost similar to a tomahawk but my arm movement is different.

I do like how yours and Brett's look though and I am sure I can add them because, as I have said, what I am doing is just something I feel. In working on it, all I have done is refined my control of it. Next time I see you I can show how how I think of it exactly like I think of hitting a hard crash symbol when I am drumming.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
OK - let me post a few links to help aid this discussion:

Here is the result of my latest training.

Here is a guy who calls his serve a tomahawk. I think what I am doing is often exactly what he is doing but with a different racket trajectory per Brett's instruction.

Here is a match where Carl uses his hook serve. The serve at 3:20 is a good example.

Here is the serve I consider a true tomahawk.

To me, all the serves are related, but what Brett wants me to produce is racket angles that show both backspin and topspin through the swing trajectory. I actually wanted to do it with much more wrist but my racket would not have been pointing forward throughout the motion as in Brett's shadow so I set that aside.

I can see that yours is different, but that is largely a result of who trained you and how they made you think of the serve. For people who don't know, here is one of Carl's inspirations (the guy furthest away from the camera):

One can debate whether he is hiding the serve or not, but as a general rule, Brett is a fan of smaller, whippier motions as they tend to give you less to work with and can be pretty deceptive while generating high levels of spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, your serve certainly qualifies as a punch and it's a good one too.

Well, it looks like, now, I have to get NextLevel to help me make it even better and how to back it up better with a good 3rd ball. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus