Amazing Serves

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"This means that if you touch the playing surface (i.e. the top of the table) with your hand which is not holding your racket whilst the ball is still in play, you lose the point."

The ball is not in play until I start the toss. When I do that my arm has to have lifted.

Sent from TheDepthsOfTartarus via TheHouseOfHades

Reactions: Liten
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My forearm is fully pressed into the table which gives me a few moments where my arm is completely still and it helps me get lower. A friend who is 2200 told me I should try it and it instantly made my serves lower and better because I am lower.

Sent from Ma Lin's Secret Underground Training Center with High Toss Serve Talk

There is much debate about the height above table one should impact the ball to result in a serve that barely clears the top of the net.

Some say you have to be REAL low, like the impact must happen lower than net height or even a few cm just above table height. I have seen a few players do this on certain serves and they can land it short and tight.

I have also seen some say the first bounce must be as close to net as possible. I have seen some players land a short serve with a first bounce 30 cm from the net.

Myself, I do not worry so much at what height I impact the ball on my short underspin serves. I impact it sometimes middle chest height and I can still get a tight serve from that. I aim for an area about a 30 cm by 30 cm circle just past half way to net, mostly about 10-15 cm past half way to net.

I use both a very high impact height and a relatively far away from net first bounce and I can still get a decently consistent for my level short tight side under spin serve in matches.

Look at my serves on my vid with Next Level or who ever I play in singles that you can see a vid of. You will see me impacting the ball a lot higher than you would expect for a short tight serve. I prolly did 50/50 or 60/40 short and long serve vs NL in that match.

A local club owner in my former city of Uijeungbu when I was in Korea took some pics (6-8 frames a second) of players serving or doing a certain stroke.

Here is the series he did of one of my serves.

http://cafe438.daum.net/_c21_/album...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz&datanum=60&edge=&listnum=15

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am definitely not going to tell Der_Echte how to serve because his serves are darn good. I just know that my old tired legs don't like getting me low and a friend saw how I was serving and made the suggestion and it helped me get lower which also helps me start lower for my third ball which is also a good thing. And I am still usually too high so if I can get lower it is always a good thing.

But as far as I know the ball is not in play until I start the toss. And at that point my arm is no longer on the table so, as far as I know, what I am doing is perfectly legal.

When I am at a computer I will see if I can find a photo where Timo does this. Because I am pretty sure I saw that as well. But, it is true, in the video I watched, his arm was near the table but not on it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I am definitely not going to tell Der_Echte how to serve because his serves are darn good. I just know that my old tired legs don't like getting me low and a friend saw how I was serving and made the suggestion and it helped me get lower which also helps me start lower for my third ball which is also a good thing. And I am still usually too high so if I can get lower it is always a good thing.

But as far as I know the ball is not in play until I start the toss. And at that point my arm is no longer on the table so, as far as I know, what I am doing is perfectly legal.

When I am at a computer I will see if I can find a photo where Timo does this. Because I am pretty sure I saw that as well. But, it is true, in the video I watched, his arm was near the table but not on it.

Ma Long definitely touches the table with his forearm before serving.

hqdefault.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Long definitely touches the table with his forearm before serving.

View attachment 8135

Sweet. Thanks for the research. I know I first saw Timo do it years ago and thought it was weird. But when I started doing it, I realized how much it helped me set up and be still and focus before the serve.

A lot of guys my level, I see them walk up to the table and serve before they have even got their body into a ready position. So for me it helped in a bunch of ways.

Thanks for searching and finding this anchorschmidt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Yes ma long is doing on one special serve..... But interesting have to try.
3:15 is starting to use it

Actually Ma Long does this for all of his serves except for the high toss serves that he served in the first 3 minutes. If you watch any match of his such as the one below, you will notice that he places the forearm on the table for his regular serves as well. He starts behind the table only for the high toss serves.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I already has practice this serve...... But i do not feel ok about it... For now is more or less just big distraction.... But mayebe practice will show ... I will continue to practice.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
This one is really good but hard as hell

Ofc this one had to appear too. :D
Notice how he is standing a bit away from the table, leaning a bit back and top spin strokes the ball with the bh at the fh side. I had to watch a few times before I realized that the first time.
I wonder if I can learn something similar with penhold when I attempt to make it fast, it's usually not fast enough.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Well, in looking I had time to look at a few serves in one match and Timo didn't quite touch the table. But I thought I remembered seeing footage where his arm fully rests on the table.

That shouldn't be illegal though because it is just the set up before the toss to get my arm stable. If someone does know a rule that causes that to be illegal though, it is an easy change even though I like the stability I get from doing it.

Don't know about Timo, but Maze sure does it.. No problem there, as you say, if the hand is behind the end line, the arm can be resting on the table. As long as you lift the arm to toss the ball up for service ;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl