Amazing Serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Too funny. You may need Zhang Jike there more than Ma Lin. But why not go for both.

All good. I still have no intention of revealing how I get serves to make 90 and 180 degree turns in mid air after they've past the end-line.

Sent from MountOlympus via Hermes'Caduceus

hahhah yeah probably only zhang jike will know the truth as ma lin was maybe too far to tell .

Reactions: guybr50
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
That Ma Lin serve appear once every couple-three months, does it not? Making a whole new thread every tiem, re-posting the same videos.

This does not have subtitles, but bretty interesting stuff I believe. Saw it for the first time right now.

Just need to post something from Xu Xin too, ahuehue. Dat 2:00 serve.
- Music is annoying though.

Regarding serves, either all servers are special, or none are. The most important part is being deceptive and having change of serves/spin/placement during the game.
No serve is invincible, they can all be returned if you know how/what serve is coming at you.
But ofc, some services are more difficult to execute than others, and some are easier, and not very wise to use often...
I think Ma Lin's serve is great, requires good ball feel and timing to execute to his precision.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Der_Echte REALLY needs to work on his serves.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No, UpSideDownCarl needs to work on Der_Echte's serves. Those are some hard serves to return for me!!!!

Sent from TheDepthsOfTartarus via TheHouseOfHades

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
NL and company, this corkscrew serve that Michael Landers taught me, one of the coolest parts of that serve is, the bounce clearly shows topspin and kicks like topspin. But if you know how to return the top/sidespin serve it looks like and get on the outside of the sidespin, the ball is heavy backspin because it is not a regular sidespin.

The funniest part about that serve, when I give it to someone who isn't at as high a level and does the wrong thing for what the serve looks like, they return it. Then I give it to a higher level player and they read and they try and return based on what the motion and the bounce looks like, they make contact with the outside of the spin as though it is top/side and the ball goes straight down. Funny.

I can't do it well enough. But when Mike does it, that is a pretty crazy serve. I will keep working on it. Corkscrew.

Sent from MountOlympus via Hermes'Caduceus

I have quite a few serves like that, opponent has to be at a certain level to be fooled by them. People below that level don't know what they don't know! For the lower players just serve basic and play a half decent third ball that is not telegraphed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. For lower level players I actually just use serves with about half spin because it makes no sense to watch serves fly long or go into the net over and over which is what happens when I mix top and backspin. Someone my level I'm okay with getting a couple of easy points but someone my level adjusts quickly to the serves and then I have to open on them unless they are good at flipping.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes i can see ;-) low spin is there.... what about this heavy hand .... is this legal ?

Ah, I suck at doubles and those three guys are all better than me. I can't serve well from the FH side either. Do you mean my resting my arm on the table before I toss? If my hand is behind the table that is legal. If not, it is not. I think there may be a few where my hand is over the table so you may be right. It helps my serves from the BH side and helps me stay low.

But here you can see my serves better and you can still see that I am a good level lower than NextLevel:

BTW, I am not saying my serves are great. That would be silly. I am the level I am. Not great. Not terrible. But trying to learn and get better. Against guys who are better than me, my serves don't have great spin. Against people my level, my serves are a little better than my level. Against people lower level than me, I don't need my serves.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Do not take me like i tring to ofend you some way.
But i never in my life seen this before....
You are resting your hand . but i mean really resting not as all other player which just place rhe hand near the table.. You actually resting the hand like you are in the bar ??

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Do not take me like i tring to ofend you some way.
But i never in my life seen this before....
You are resting your hand . but i mean really resting not as all other player which just place rhe hand near the table.. You actually resting the hand like you are in the bar ????

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No offense taken. I got that from Timo Boll. My forearm is fully pressed into the table which gives me a few moments where my arm is completely still and it helps me get lower. A friend who is 2200 told me I should try it and it instantly made my serves lower and better because I am lower. That moment of being completely stopped also helps.

But my hand is behind the end-line. It should not be over the table. I think in the doubles game there are a few times where it is over the table though. I will see if I can find a photo or video with Timo doing it.

Reactions: Liten
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, in looking I had time to look at a few serves in one match and Timo didn't quite touch the table. But I thought I remembered seeing footage where his arm fully rests on the table.

That shouldn't be illegal though because it is just the set up before the toss to get my arm stable. If someone does know a rule that causes that to be illegal though, it is an easy change even though I like the stability I get from doing it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This is a kickass advice right here. Carl was kind enough to share the tip and as im 191 cm tall, I have to prone down alot to rest my arm on the table. Thing is, after maby just an hours practice, the serves got waaaay lower and harder for my opponent to handle. Pro advice! Thanks Carl!