Amateur player with a crazy Backhand

This user has no status.
I love His way of using backward stance, right foot front left foot back, when switch to backhand, opening for big wind up before unleashing those backhand cannons. :)

Chopper and blocker aside, which pro using this stance on backhand now? :)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well his German TTR is around 1950 (which translates to around USATT 2350-2400) so it does mean that he has a pretty good percentage of makes.

Here's a training video

I tried my own version of this drill since he provided the robot setting. I came nothing close to his results if the robots are truly comparable. I will share so people can appreciate how hard what he is doing is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
but listen to that "smack" sound at 00:30 for example, i play against players with T05 and they don't sound like that. Nevertheless that hit is powerful weapon but i'm not getting tenergy LOL

The smack sound is happening because he accelerates during contact and his timing is perfect. The ball definitely sinks in the rubber and compresses the wood also. He is definitely not hitting the ball he is just spinning it really hard. How many times have you heard "smacking" sounds in professiona play? Countless...its because they know how to accelerate and sink the ball into the wood layers

This user has no status.
It is interesting how much he turns for his backhand. It would be interesting to see him play a full match vs someone one level higher. Because, against these guys he moves well in spite of how much he turns for his backhand and how he likes to back up.

I was thinking this as well. You need to have a good amount of time to execute such a big stroke. If someone is pressuring you with speed or placing you awkwardly it's much more difficult. Slow shots, pop ups and being away from the table will allow you to add rotation and bigger follow through into the shot. That said, he does pick the right shots to go all out power with - and that's a key point.

This user has no status.
wow, the world is connected, nothing new but cool :cool:

hey guys, i am the amateur player with the crazy backhand here in this thread :cool:;) my name is marc schinkel as you already realised.

i heard from this forum only from the facebook fanpage of tabletennisdaily as they shared a video of me. and wow, that´s really awesome to gain international interest for an amateur player like me, and yes i am an amateur ;) (training once a week only plus few tournaments)

special thanks to anchorschmidt! thanks for your interest in my backhand and all your analysis. i didn´t thought about it that much on my own. my style is more intuitive, i think :D

something about me: the long break with intense training for about 11 years, where i played only the league games, was not that good. but since the beginning of this year i started to film my games and now although training. the fun at this awesome sport came back like a big hurricane.

before, as i was 17 years old, i played in german regionalliga (one league under 2. bundesliga). but then i had not so much fun with this, don´t really know why... in these years i played oberliga (one league under regionalliga) and now one league under that league, verbandsoberliga.

lets come to your interesting analysis:

- my tennis backswing is way too long, and i really have no time react when the ball comes back. something that i have to change.

- my foot stand (right front, left behind) developes automatically, i have to change that. maybe i am to sure that this final shoot is deadly :D

- too wide away from the table. yeah, thats a problem i have since beginning. it is easier to stand there because the ball is slower and rotation minimal, so i can spin my own efèt. i can´t get this in my brain... maybe one time ;)

- the blade is very closed when i play backhand and forehand topspin (also on backspin). the only way i can do this, is with a tenergy rubber, i think. the ball pops really high out of it and the second thing is, that the generated arc is enormous. so one can spin the ball very hard when the ball is not high above the net, requires much rotation of the ball (magnus effect)

two weeks earlier i tried to do the backhand topspin a little bit shorter. you can check it in this new trainingsvideo with our roboter (amicus 3000plus) at TTC Finow (ttc-finow.de):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MfYDEmup1Yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And at first, because it´s much fun for me, i tried to play the ball around the net. the hit ration was not that good. next time i try to play this ball from more outside, this was way to hard for me :)

and at the end my part 2 of Best of Backhand:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HFTQ00tfqwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

aaah, something additional: i am really a forehand dominated player, you can see it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/18wq9wADKpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

but backhand is much more fun to play :D :cool:

@nextlevel: great try! what robot did you use?

greetings from germany!

Marc

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

greetings from germany!

Marc

Hey, Marc. I used Amicus Pro (I am sure it is similar to yours). Your flexibility is a gift, IMHO. I truly believe that if you block/counter more at the table with your backhand, then everything else will come naturally and make sense but without that, making the stroke shorter has less importance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews

Hi Marc,

Great strokes against underspin. There is another forum member called P-Nut here who posted his video of topspin against robot underspin balls and you'll be happy to hear that your stroke is almost as good as his (sorry - inside forum joke)!

Very effective synergy of natural swing and timing - did you play tennis before?

This user has no status.
wow, the world is connected, nothing new but cool :cool:

hey guys, i am the amateur player with the crazy backhand here in this thread :cool:;) my name is marc schinkel as you already realised.

i heard from this forum only from the facebook fanpage of tabletennisdaily as they shared a video of me. and wow, that´s really awesome to gain international interest for an amateur player like me, and yes i am an amateur ;) (training once a week only plus few tournaments)

special thanks to anchorschmidt! thanks for your interest in my backhand and all your analysis. i didn´t thought about it that much on my own. my style is more intuitive, i think :D

something about me: the long break with intense training for about 11 years, where i played only the league games, was not that good. but since the beginning of this year i started to film my games and now although training. the fun at this awesome sport came back like a big hurricane.

before, as i was 17 years old, i played in german regionalliga (one league under 2. bundesliga). but then i had not so much fun with this, don´t really know why... in these years i played oberliga (one league under regionalliga) and now one league under that league, verbandsoberliga.

lets come to your interesting analysis:

- my tennis backswing is way too long, and i really have no time react when the ball comes back. something that i have to change.

- my foot stand (right front, left behind) developes automatically, i have to change that. maybe i am to sure that this final shoot is deadly :D

- too wide away from the table. yeah, thats a problem i have since beginning. it is easier to stand there because the ball is slower and rotation minimal, so i can spin my own efèt. i can´t get this in my brain... maybe one time ;)

- the blade is very closed when i play backhand and forehand topspin (also on backspin). the only way i can do this, is with a tenergy rubber, i think. the ball pops really high out of it and the second thing is, that the generated arc is enormous. so one can spin the ball very hard when the ball is not high above the net, requires much rotation of the ball (magnus effect)

two weeks earlier i tried to do the backhand topspin a little bit shorter. you can check it in this new trainingsvideo with our roboter (amicus 3000plus) at TTC Finow (ttc-finow.de):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MfYDEmup1Yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And at first, because it´s much fun for me, i tried to play the ball around the net. the hit ration was not that good. next time i try to play this ball from more outside, this was way to hard for me :)

and at the end my part 2 of Best of Backhand:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HFTQ00tfqwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

aaah, something additional: i am really a forehand dominated player, you can see it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/18wq9wADKpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

but backhand is much more fun to play :D :cool:

greetings from germany!

Marc

Awesome backhand and Forehand. But may I say that there is a lot of anger in your shots. Lol

You hit the ball like you need a hug. Lol (joke) But great shots. You've just convinced me, I was debating on buying a robot. With your videos I am now convinced to buy one.

Reactions: slimjimmii
This user has no status.
Hey, Marc. I used Amicus Pro (I am sure it is similar to yours). Your flexibility is a gift, IMHO. I truly believe that if you block/counter more at the table with your backhand, then everything else will come naturally and make sense but without that, making the stroke shorter has less importance.

ok, i will try it next time, i think it could make sense :)

Overseer Kevin said:
He's got a regular tennis one handed backhand. Would not be surprised if he was also a tennis player.

and
slevin said:
did you play tennis before?

hehe, yeah i played tennis but not constantly, only few times. backhand was most fun at tennis, too. first time i played i didn´t got it to not use my wrist and then my arm and wrist were out of order :D after few times training my backhand was surer, harder and more powerful then my forehand...

slevin said:
Hi Marc,

Great strokes against underspin. There is another forum member called P-Nut here who posted his video of topspin against robot underspin balls and you'll be happy to hear that your stroke is almost as good as his (sorry - inside forum joke)!

Very effective synergy of natural swing and timing

hey slevin, thx, synergy is all. can you share the thread here becauce i couldn´t find P-Nut here or on youtube. i would like to understand that inside forum joke :D

Overseer Kevin said:
Awesome backhand and Forehand. But may I say that there is a lot of anger in your shots. Lol

You hit the ball like you need a hug. Lol (joke) But great shots. You've just convinced me, I was debating on buying a robot. With your videos I am now convinced to buy one.

hey kevin, thx, too. and yeah, you are right, sometimes i am really a bit angry and then i smash the ball as hard as i can. the curious thing is that without thinking about my shot the ball hits on the other side of table, i mean it´s not a bad hit ratio :D yes, please hug me :D

hey thats cool, if you have got the robot we can compare technique and so on easier. and maybe we can make a contest, e.g. ball around net (like in my last video) and then we try to hit as many balls as possible IN A ROW :) could get funny.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
hey slevin, thx, synergy is all. can you share the thread here becauce i couldn´t find P-Nut here or on youtube. i would like to understand that inside forum joke :D

Sorry for jumping in, but you actually just have to look at this thread:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10552-TT-Myth-Busters

Or maybe even this here:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...w-vs-low-throw-rubber-(high-low-arc)-thoughts

You could also try this here:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10772-high-and-low-throw-rubbers

I'm pretty sure, that you soon gonna find out who PNUT is... :)

But warning: you might need a good cup of tea and a lie down after reading because of a dramatical headache...(anotha Insider) ;)

Oh and before i forget:
Hast du bestimmt schon mal gehört, aber für deine Rückhand bräuchtest du eigentlich nen Waffenschein! ;)