Totally frustrated and fed up!!!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
That's only if you allow yourself to be getting frustrated. ;)

Well, that is very true. The only way to deal with it is the bold acceptance of sour truths written in this thread :)

However, when it comes to frustration there is one beast that bites so hard that only toughest human beings can survive it. It is the losing to someone whom one able to beat consistently before. Especially when one practiced oh so hard and learned all those fancy techniques that were supposed to make them better. Reaction can be explosive. As was said in the famous video, a sport doesn't build the character, the sport reveals it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, that is very true. The only way to deal with it is the bold acceptance of sour truths written in this thread :)

However, when it comes to frustration there is one beast that bites so hard that only toughest human beings can survive it. It is the losing to someone whom one able to beat consistently before. Especially when one practiced oh so hard and learned all those fancy techniques that were supposed to make them better. Reaction can be explosive. As was said in the famous video, a sport doesn't build the character, the sport reveals it :)

Character revealed can be built and rebuilt.:p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. It seems like it is time for another story.

So, I am playing this guy. I am perhaps 15 years younger than him. Which means he is 65 at least. And I am really in better shape than a lot of people who are 10 years younger than me. In USATT rating points I am at least 300-400 points higher than this guy. I am playing him a match because a guy who coaches me wanted to teach both of us something.

We play the first game of the match and I crush the guy just how I should. It was obvious that it was a mismatch. Then Paul David (coach) said to me, do mind if I give him some information? I say, "sure". Nothing he can say can help this guy beat me, right? WRONG!!!!

With a few simple tips on strategy and Paul knowing my weaknesses, this guy beat me in 5. After the match Paul said, "this is what you need to work on," and he told me what he told John (the older gentleman) and told me to work on it.

Now, most people my level would not pick up on what those weaknesses were unless they were already part of the person's game strategy.

One of be pieces of info was "don't serve to his BH!" And I was crushing his serves in the first game. Another one of the pieces of info was, "don't push long to his FH. If you push long make it as heavy as possible to the BH side of his switching." The next piece was, "as often as you can, serve to the FH side of his switching point." And be last important piece of info was: "stop trying to attack his serves! Push them heavy to the BH side of his switching point."

Did I get upset or frustrated because I lost to someone who I should be able to beat easily. NO WAY! I learned something from it and I have been practicing what Paul David told me to work on ever since: Receiving serves on my FH side and particularly ones that are on the FH side of my switching point and moving to them better; moving to and opening against heavy backspin to my BH. Moving my feet so I am in the right place when I need to open vs backspin with my BH.

So, as NextLevel has emphasized many times, we can use our loses to help us learn what we need to work on.

That match was one of the best lessons I have had in the past several months. At some point those weaknesses will be strengths.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Interestingly, the last match I played Der_Echte, it was almost like Paul David had given him the same coaching because he broke down my game and picked on all my weaknesses flawlessly. Hahaha. Soon I will catch up and get revenge. Muhahaha. (Evil Character laugh).

This user has no status.
Hey, I think all the submissions so far are good ones. I will add a few comments myself. But not too many. Most of the important stuff is covered.

Except the dancing naked part!

No, the first thing to understand is that having those matches that you should win and end up losing and having those matches where you just play like shyte under your belt, in the long run, all help to increase your match play experience so that, at a certain point you pull off the matches you should have lost instead of the other way around. To stop playing matches would only cause part of your TT development to be delayed. There are plenty of players with good technique and bad game strategy. That stuff should develop as you put yourself in those situations more and more.

In match play, at a certain point you want to be able to shut off the analytical process and just focus on going for your shots. You may not be there yet. But think of matches as practice and play every point as though nothing else exists but that point. In other words, regardless of the score you could play each point as though the score is 5-5 or even 9-9 regardless of the actual score.

Here is the video I keep posting on this subject of training and the random element. It has important information for your development.

If you have not watched this video yet, watch it. If you have, watch it again.

Then choose someone you know as a training partner and start doing game simulation drills. Do a couple of hours a week of game simulation drills.

I will give you two drills to practice. Do both.

Drill 1:

a) Server serves short backspin
b) receiver pushes long
c) server tries to loop vs the long push
d) open play

Side note: with this drill, you can start with the person pushing to a particular spot like the middle of the table or wide FH or BH. In the end it should progress to where the long push placement is totally random.

Second game simulation drill:

Players alternate 2 serves each and play exactly like a match without counting points. A serve that misses the table should be played as a net so the receiver gets the opportunity to receive 2 serves that are in play.

In this drill, try to be creative. Try things you may not try in a match. Work on things.

You probably should find as many different training partners to do game simulation drills with as possible. There are so many more drills. Start with those two.

If you don't incorporate any training that duplicates match scenarios, it is very hard to improve your match play at least until your technique gets vastly better. But then your technique will still be way better than your game skills.

All that being said, remember, as someone else said in this thread, this should at least in part be about having fun. Try to find the fun in play. Even when you lose.

Yoga Sutra 1:12 says "abhyasa vairagya tan nirodhah". That means, practice without attachment to the results is what gets you the results.

Sorry to go eastern on you. But practice, and don't worry about the progress. It comes in strange jumps. And it is supposed to. Don't worry about the points where you plateau for a while or even when you feel like you have gone backwards. Those periods actually help set the stage for the next jump in level.

Hi Carl

Great posts

I'll work on those drills

Andy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The nice thing to know with those game simulation drills is that you can work on specific stuff that helps your game skills without a coach and without the frustration that can accompany match play.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Don't get pissed off or frustrated...get even !! I know it sounds more easy than it really is. Put realistic goals and brake them into small parts. The best advice I ever listened was from kreanga in his old butterfly tutorial/training video.

Always set a realistic goal and a little bit more than that so you can push yourself, another one again from kreanga is select your training carefully and for example dont try from day 1 to execute 10 good forehand topspins.

Try landing 3 on the same spot on table with good relaxed motion, if its easy go for 5 and so on. But be honest to yourself, execute the technique with no mistakes dont fool yourself, this way you will never be disappointed.

Im not the best for advice here as I get stubborn and pissed sometimes in a game, but then again we are not professionals or robots to have the perfect zen mentality.

The best advice in game I have had so far was "just relax and enjoy the ride", then years of training would suddenly come up and the game is joyful again no matter if you win or lose

Reactions: hopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
oh and another advice from zhang jike and his coach, . In an interview shortly after wttc 2013, he revealed that he joined the 2011 wttc with no specific goals just to play his best. His coach advised him just to focus on each ball separately no matter the score or the situation. He only lost focus on 3-2 10-5 on the final against wang hao when he suddenly realised "dude one point and im the world champ" so he naturally choked, I ve seen it happen in many players when they are about to win against...so called "better opponents" or much higher ranked players.

So there you go things are always simple...our expectations and feelings make them difficult.

1. Set training goals 2. Enjoy the game and play ball by ball

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One other thing is that nobody is so superhuman that they don't occasionally feel frustrated and despondent about how they play. I see that with everybody I know who plays, including some essentially professional players (or as close as there is to that in the US).

Along with the plateaus comes realization that we do not perform like robots and sometimes simply suck. Actually sometimes it is mental, you feel like you suck more than usual, when it may be you are just noticing reality more than other days. Some days your body does not want to move. Your eyes don't want to see. And some days you are more oblivious to that than others (so you have more fun).

One thing for sure, though, is that once you sustain an injury that forces you to stop playing for months at a time, you will appreciate just being able to hit the little ball.

So just hit the little ball. Nothing more. It cures everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Did I get upset or frustrated because I lost to someone who I should be able to beat easily. NO WAY!

Now imagine that happening in a sanctioned tournament, considering the fact that

In USATT rating points I am at least 300-400 points higher than this guy.

:)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now imagine that happening in a sanctioned tournament, considering the fact that

:)

I know guys who in the round robin part of tournaments always lose to people 300-500 points lower than them on purpose to drop rating points if they know they can beat everyone else in their bracket. Those guys are always trying to get their rating lower than it should be so they can be underrated and win events they shouldn't be allowed to enter.

But I wouldn't mind. That is part of tournament play. Part of what Paul was showing me is there are still parts of my game that are a lot lower than my overall level that could cause that kind of loss to happen. If I lost those rating points, I would just have to climb back up by winning the points back. In the long run, it would help me get better. Even if it wasn't me being taught a good lesson by a coach.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One other thing is that nobody is so superhuman that they don't occasionally feel frustrated and despondent about how they play. I see that with everybody I know who plays, including some essentially professional players (or as close as there is to that in the US).

Along with the plateaus comes realization that we do not perform like robots and sometimes simply suck. Actually sometimes it is mental, you feel like you suck more than usual, when it may be you are just noticing reality more than other days. Some days your body does not want to move. Your eyes don't want to see. And some days you are more oblivious to that than others (so you have more fun).

One thing for sure, though, is that once you sustain an injury that forces you to stop playing for months at a time, you will appreciate just being able to hit the little ball.

So just hit the little ball. Nothing more. It cures everything.

This is really a great post. People should pound on that like button on this one.

Reactions: Suga D and Liten
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi all
Well I'm feeling I've reached rock bottom!
As per previous messages, I have a developing backhand and forehand when practising but
as shown up last week, my technique totally falls apart in a match.
I'm assuming I just need more more practise......but right now, I m just totally pi..ed off!
Sorry for rant
A

Hey andy if you are still developing then you just need to keep going for your shots, it doesn't matter too much if you miss as you know your shots are all working progress. you are better off going for your shots now so that in the future you are able to execute shots more easily rather than developing bad habits now like being too scared to open up on your backhand as this will hinder your progress in the future.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Interestingly, the last match I played Der_Echte, it was almost like Paul David had given him the same coaching because he broke down my game and picked on all my weaknesses flawlessly. Hahaha. Soon I will catch up and get revenge. Muhahaha. (Evil Character laugh).

Nah... It usually takes me losing game one to figure any of that being the bone head knucklehead I iz...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl