Glasses/contact lenses in table tennis?

This user has no status.
Hi there!
I'm little bit shortsighted (well, I'm even supposed to wear glasses and even quite strong ones,around two dioptres - but I never wear them,only for some occasions, when I'm in a cinema or in school to see the blackboard).
As the sight plays a crucial role in table tennis I am thinking how this can affect my performance (in other words I'm blaming it for everything :D just joking)
So, I wondered how the pros have it with this - you won't see many players wearing glasses, so I don't know how many players are shortsighted in TT. By the way ZJK is wearing glasses,isn't he?

I asked this my couch and he told me it hadn't been adviced to wear glasses in TT to him by his optician, as your sight is going to get worse faster than without them.
So I am considering whether to wear them or not. Or to wear weaker one and save my sight..
What do you think, guys?
How do shortsighted players deal with this? Do they wear glasses or contact lenses?

Thanks!

Odesláno z mého C1905 pomocí Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
Absolutely, it took me around 4 months to realise that I should be wearing glasses whilst playing, it was seriously effecting my performance, even though I didn't really realise it was.

I tried out contacts and my game improved tremendously. Contacts, always!!

The problem with glasses is that they get steamed up and slippery during intense sessions, and theres nothing worse than not playing at full capacity because you're frightened they'll fall off

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dragan Glas
This user has no status.
I'm near-sighted and can't play without them. I also discovered that I can't play with bifocals. If sweat is a problem, you can get lenses with an oleophobic coating that resists sweat, water, fingerprints, etc. I have them and they work pretty well. I wear a head sweatband as well so I don't have any problems with the glasses getting slippery and falling off.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My glasses are good glasses but they are pretty regular and I don't have any trouble playing with them. Once in a while I need to wipe them off with something but I don't have a problem playing with them. It is actually rare I have to wipe them off even.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I asked my optometrist, as I have bad eyes and have had two cataract surgeries. I thought my bifocals were annoying, as the ball would go in and out of focus. So she prescribed me single vision glasses optimized to be in focus at about 10 feet. I think it helps. The only frustration is I can't fill out a scoresheet without taking off my glasses.

Yes, they do get sweat and moisture on them, but wiping them off is a convenient way to take an unofficial time out.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I have worn glasses and contact lenses in the past.

I started with glasses, and used normal contact lenses for a while, and both were fine to play with. In Australia the temperature is usually fairly warm, but even when it was cold I had minimal problems with fogging up of the glass lenses.

But when I moved to special contact lenses for astigmatism I had problems, because they were sliding down out of position during a point because I wasn't blinking enough while playing. So I went back to glasses again.

A few years ago I had laser surgery on my eyes to correct my short sightedness and astigmatism, and that has proved to be great for my table tennis and life in general - I'm very pleased with the results. No need for glasses or contacts any more.

Cheers,
Greg

This user has no status.
How much did you pay for them?
The oleophobic coating was a $15USD option from http://www.zennioptical.com
I got a complete pair of single-vision glasses with sunglass clip-on and oleophobic coating for around $35 delivered within 2 weeks. Amazing price. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

Hi there!
I'm little bit shortsighted (well, I'm even supposed to wear glasses and even quite strong ones,around two dioptres - but I never wear them,only for some occasions, when I'm in a cinema or in school to see the blackboard).
As the sight plays a crucial role in table tennis I am thinking how this can affect my performance (in other words I'm blaming it for everything :D just joking)
So, I wondered how the pros have it with this - you won't see many players wearing glasses, so I don't know how many players are shortsighted in TT. By the way ZJK is wearing glasses,isn't he?

I asked this my couch and he told me it hadn't been adviced to wear glasses in TT to him by his optician, as your sight is going to get worse faster than without them.
So I am considering whether to wear them or not. Or to wear weaker one and save my sight..
What do you think, guys?
How do shortsighted players deal with this? Do they wear glasses or contact lenses?

Thanks!
The first thing you should do is see your oprometrist and ask him what options are available for your vision.

Depending on its level, and if you don't want to wear glasses, you could wear soft contacts, If your vision is bad enough, you might need hard contacts.

As someone who was born with keratoconas ("coning of the cornea"), which only manifested itself after I left school. I first had corneal transplants on both eyes. However, they didn't "take", and I had to wear "bottle-end" glasses, then "double-glazing" before contact lens technology advanced enough that I could wear hard contacts over the grafts. I needed rigid gas-permeable (RGP) lenses which sllowed air/oxygen to reach the corneas to prevent damage to them. The latest ones are even more porous.

I've never had any problems playing table-tennis - or doing anything else (no swimming with them in!) whilst wearing them. Unlike with glasses, as has been pointed out, they don't get condensation on them when you're hot.

But the first thing to do, Alexander, is to see your optometrist and/or your ophthalmologist - the former may refer you to the latter.

Kindest regards,

James

Last edited:
Reactions: alexander.groh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Thanks for that!
It seems pretty straightforward.
So, finally I'm going to wear them - at beginning my glasses and then maybe to contact lenses?

What about some pros?
Do ZJK wears them?

Odesláno z mého C1905 pomocí Tapatalk
Some pros in the top 100 wear glasses such as Adrien Mattenet and recently Daniel Habesohn (Austria) who used to wear contacts now wears glasses while playing. It's all personal preference, although when I changed to contact lenses I realized how important it is for serve receiving as you can see the spin much better.[h=3][/h]