backhand with forehand side (orthodox grip)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I went back to orthodox grip 6 months ago, it was too difficult for me on the backhand side with my violonist fingers (a bit too long)

I was looking for an orthodox but different style and found on youtube the player "Bogan" who played (et still play) with the same side forehand and backhand.

So i took my "inspiration" from this style, with some modifications, a more relaxed grip with my forefinger in supination and quite in the middle for the backhand, allowing me for backhand topspin. I have to work that a lot but my feeling is good and better with training.

And sorry for my english, I don't learn at school but started to improve it a year ago. The way is still very long ...

éric Bogan recently :

and 24 years ago :

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
ak ok, i didn't know he played with anti-top and so I understand why i was always turning !

I Play too standard backhand with long pips and it's of course for increasing possibilities with backhand, mainly when the opponent plays without rotation towards my long pips

My level is between 13 and 14 in France (there is a lot of competitions in France, on could be playing every week), I am 55.

you are living in states, perhaps you saw eric bogan playing ?

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I saw him. He was one of two Americans who played versions of that style in the 1980s and early 1990s. The other was Dan Seemiller, who is actually is a little older. During part of that time you could use red rubber on both sides.

These two were actually the last American players who were capable of beating anyone in the world in their day, which is a sad commentary on American table tennis. The use of the anti-spin was a key part of the style because they could constantly change pace and trajectory of the ball . Dan was left handed and had a more powerful forehand and in some ways was more orthodox. Eric could hit an inside-out forehand very well and could attack a lot more with the anti. Both guys had really quick feet.

Their grip is not quite an orthodox grip. They index finger wraps around the blade in an unusual way I believe there was not too long ago one of the top Canadian women players who used that grip. But now, even in the US, it has almost disappeared.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
Violoniste18: most of your serves were illegal - not tossing the ball high enough eg 16 cm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Wasn't that Dan Seemiller on the table right next to that match that you saw getting his ball from time to time starting about the 8:40 or min mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was looking for an orthodox but different style and found on youtube the player "Bogan" who played (et still play) with the same side forehand and backhand.

Here is a photo I pulled off the internet of the "Seemiller Grip" that Bogan and Seemiller used:

d4b096a899cc4901a71a442404b24873.jpg

A long pips player I used to train with used this grip for how easy it was to switch from Traditional Grip back to Seemiller Grip in a way that switched from pips to smooth instantaneously. You really had to pay attention to be color of the rubber to play him because the "twiddle" was seamless.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I just got a text from a friend that said mr Seemiller is coming to town for a tournament. Not sure if he is playing or coaching but I would love to see him play in person!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
dear lord if this was not invented already some time ago i would say this is some next level .... . I dont know how anybody can think that this is an effective way of playing table tennis. if you take the hours learning to play this way and invest it in your technique training with a grip that makes biomechanicly sense you will actually improve. Too long fingers? Man that problem is just in your head, you need to cut this out if you want to get better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I don't know how high brogan was ranked but I know Dan Seemiller was ranked as high as 18 in the world. And he was a USA champion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
with all respect, but playing with anti, with a "Seemiller grip", plus twidling...I can't stop people from playing like that and it's everyone's right to do so. I bet it doesn't make the game suddenly easy and I don't call it an unfair advantage. If you see what results those players achieved with this style, it's a very high level.

Still, sorry, but I just don't like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Mr Tom, totally legitimate reasonable response but just for fun because I find the topic interesting.
I would not like running up agonist the style say in a tournament or somethings ( of course I have not played In a torment, at leas not yet) but there is a time and place for everything, well maybe not everything but at least variations. I would not necessarily recommend mr seemillers style and I don't want to emulate it but you've got admit it's pretty cool that his example exists as unconventional success at the professional ranks. There's a lot to be said and respected about a player that understands their strengths, weaknesses, maybe physical limitations what ever and goes forward to adapt there equipment, grip (slightly or drastically) style of play to become ultra competitive or as as competitive as they can be. this goes for amateur as well as professional. There are a lot of reasons why this sport is amazing but for me as a fan of the sport, as well as amateur player the examples of diversity of play and seeing how people adapt there style to fit them is one of the most interesting and exciting things. Seemiller may be an extreme but he's a great example of this.

Personally I don't play anti or pips (I did mess around with short pips and I thought it was fun, who doesn't like hitting) or a unconventional style, and I can't say I like playing against, say a player with a anti. But I can say playing against unconventional style players have made me better in the long run. Becoming Less robotic, more thoughtful about where and how I attack and strategize no mater how frustrating at times it was at the moment. If I only faced players playing like this I might think differently but topspin loopers/attackers (I count myself as one) are alive and well.