backhand with forehand side (orthodox grip)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Do you struggle to play against most antispin/long pip players? I tend to enjoy playing against them more than inverted on both sides.

Yeah, most people who don't like those styles tend to struggle against them. In the end, it's up to the player holding the bat to have skills. Danny Seemiller has an incredibly spinny forehand loop. The kind of thing that you have to block or play against to see how slow and spinny it is.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
Do you struggle to play against most antispin/long pip players? I tend to enjoy playing against them more than inverted on both sides.

I don't especially struggle against antispin/long pips players. Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose, just like against players with normal inverted rubbers.

All I ment was, for me, some players with long pips or antispin play such an awkward game I don't enjoy playing against them. It's not that I can't win, their game make it impossible for me to play a fun, beautifull match. But please don't get me wrong, I think players can play awkward styles with antispin or long pips. Playing against more orthodox players, in general, just happens to be more fun for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are guys who use the Seemiller grip and play an all out topspin game. The grip causes the racket to be closed easily for FH and BH so topspin is pretty natural without having to do as much to adjust your wrist to close the racket. I think it is actually closer to some tennis grips that are used today than the traditional shakehand grip. But the Seemiller grip does make it really easy to twiddle for those guys who use it.

Shakehand grip: FH racket closed by forearm pronation and wrist extension:

d57b68d4ae3b4ffd816c8bacf37cd2cc.jpg

Shakehand grip: BH closed by forearm supination and wrist flexion

c4398107e97b77ad9b2b5af6c98ad4f0.jpg

Seemiller grip: FH closed with wrist and forearm in neutral position:

e47030522b3af9098001e32863654d32.jpg

Seemiller grip: BH closed with wrist and forearm in neutral position.

7fd16d0e440f731f1cefc71741fbd3a5.jpg

Biomechanically Seemiller grip is much easier on your elbow joint than shakehand grip because you don't have to do anything to close the racket for FH or BH topspin.

Personally, I can't play with the grip for beans. But that is because I am so used to turning my wrist and forearm for the FH and BH shots. But I have a friend who plays shakehand who can switch back and forth from these grips and play all topspin and play pretty well with either grip.

However, he can also, with a shakehand grip, turn his palm up and hit FH loops with the BH side and the loop is as good as with the normal side.

In the end, I think it's all what you are used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo