Who do you think will win the 2015 Men's World Cup?

• Ma Long

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tang Peng

• Gao Ning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The rules for 2012 had players qualifying by world ranking first with two spots per country up to the top 20 players or so based on the May 2011 world ranking list (post WTTC). Then players were sent to trials if they didn't meet this criteria. Total by any criteria is 3 and as Carl pointed out, the qualification order is strict.

Priority has now been given to qualification events with world ranking as the emergency criterion. I don't believe Asia has has any qualification events yet but I think every other continent has seen at least one.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
So Jim Butler will play William Henzell in the prelims? Is that correct?

Edit: No, that's probably wrong. I'm dumb.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have the feeling fan zhendong will win. Ma long was hurt at the asian championships so he could not participate. The chinese national games where he wa kicked out in the 1/8 final, showed that he's not in his best form. But fan zhendong is, he won the asian championships for example. Ether Ma long won a lot of their last matches i thing fan zhendong will win. And even if Mizutani Ovtcharov or Freitas are in a very good mood the two chineses are simply too strong

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The rules for 2012 had players qualifying by world ranking first with two spots per country up to the top 20 players or so based on the May 2011 world ranking list (post WTTC). Then players were sent to trials if they didn't meet this criteria. Total by any criteria is 3 and as Carl pointed out, the qualification order is strict.

Priority has now been given to qualification events with world ranking as the emergency criterion. I don't believe Asia has has any qualification events yet but I think every other continent has seen at least one.

Yep. There you go. The world ranking thing was for players in the top 28. I am not sure how they came up with that number. But that was it.

Most countries don't have as many people who really "should" be allowed to play in the men's singles event. For instance: Germany's top two back then were 1) Timo and 2) Dima.

And so the two obvious choices for Germany were the two who qualified 1 and 2.

For China, at the time of the World Rankings in May 2011, Ma Long was #5 (WR) and I believe he was #4 from China: Wang Hao, Zhang Jike and Ma Lin were all higher on the world rankings than Ma Long because Ma Long was coming back from an injury.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Here are a bunch of pictures from the warm-ups from a big Swedish blog. Enjoy :)
http://pingisfan.se/world-cup-i-bilder/

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Good Luck for Omar Assar. I hope he will do a good performance and can qualify. His problem is psychological he loses his tempo quickly after some lucky balls. Also he is playing in an aggressive manner all the time, even when not needed.

About the expectation of the winner; I don't think we are going to see a lot of surprise. So he will be 1st seed Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Here is Jim Butler in 1996 vs Waldner:

His story is a great one. In the early 1990s be was a top player. Around 2000 he had some health issue and debilitating pain that stopped him from being able to play. I believe it was from a back injury. Over the last three years he has made a big and almost impossible comeback.

I believe he qualified for the World Cup by winning this tournament:

I have seen some footage from 1992 where he looked amazing and had one of the best backhands of that time. The next time I am at a computer I will see if I can find better footage. But, hopefully, this answers your question. He actually won an event that qualified him to play in the World Cup. And being in his 40s alone would make it pretty impressive. But add the recover from injury after being told he would never play again adds to that.

Does he have a chance of advancing past the first round? Probably not. But still, he did earn his spot.

Impressive comeback! Inspiring... ;)
Teaches to neva give up on your dream. I like this.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, don't tell me that you mixed up the 2015 NA Cup with the 2014 US Nationals...

This is what Jim actually won:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Events/2015/May/15/2015-North-American-Cup

Sometimes my ResurrectionStone has beer goggles. Time flies. In fact, I can't believe it's almost Easter again!!!!

At least people get to see more good competitive play from Jimmy Jim Butler.

When I get to my computer I will look for good footage of what he played like in the 1990s 'cause he really was fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
anybody have the idea what happened in the last set with apolonia ang assar?

Just as I went onto the channel, I watched the bit where Apolonia's voice was very clear as he said to the empire something in the lines of: This is what Table tennis is like. But I also want to know what happened previously causing the disharmony, and later on, no handshake with umpires.
The umpire also warned Apolonia about not tossing his serve high enough very early in the first set, so i suspect maybe something that built up from that?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Apolonia was angry because the umpire called his serve illegal so he lost a point. Apolonia played the serve many times to the umpire and asked if it was correct or not.
Anyone know what will happen in Group 2 after the draw?