Why is Japanese Penhold less popular these days?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've heard it takes longer to learn with Penhold also. When I used to play in a club in NYC's Chinatown a couple of the older Chinese guys said as much also.

I know CPen was hard for me to try to learn.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I'm so incredibly excited about Xue Fei as the up-and-coming future of penholders. Possibly without good reason. But screw reasons. I'm a romantic, not an effing scientist! ;)

Check out Sun Chen. Winner of this year Pyongyang Open.

Uses SP on FH, like Liu Guoliang. I hope she can make into Chinese first team in the future.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Check out Sun Chen. Winner of this year Pyongyang Open.
Uses SP on FH, like Liu Guoliang. I hope she can make into Chinese first team in the future.
Thanks Tokieboi!
I know of her already and I think she's very interesting. Not least for personal reasons as she plays penhold SP FH and I do to. I have a few videos of her on my YouTube channel (and loads of other penhold SP players) if you'd want to have a look :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/oneredfish2046/playlists

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokieboi
Thanks Tokieboi!
I know of her already and I think she's very interesting. Not least for personal reasons as she plays penhold SP FH and I do to. I have a few videos of her on my YouTube channel (and loads of other penhold SP players) if you'd want to have a look :)
In Spain we have 2 penhold short pips players in the national team:

Jesus Cantero

He Zhi Wen

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It is such a pleasure to watch penholders with those MASSIVE forehands and blazing fast footwork. Although I'm a shakehander, I adore Ma Lin and Xu Xin. It will be so disgusting if this style disappears. So I'm crossing my fingers for the young penhold players!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Thanks Tokieboi!

Nice collection of penhold SP players you have there. Lots of players that I didn't know. I see you also have Toshio Tasaki, Sun Jian and Jiang Haiyang. 3 of my many favorite players. It's a shame China drop Jiang Haiyang from National team. Maybe because of speed glue ban.

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Nice collection of penhold SP players you have there. Lots of players that I didn't know. I see you also have Toshio Tasaki, Sun Jian and Jiang Haiyang. 3 of my many favorite players. It's a shame China drop Jiang Haiyang from National team. Maybe because of speed glue ban.

Thanks, Tokie :)
It's funny you mention Toshio Tasaki, Jian Sun and Jiang Haiyang. They are my favourites too, just a step behind Hyun Junghwa.
If you know of any quality videos of them that I don't have, please PM me :)

I agree. It was a shame Jiang was dropped. He was very good as a 17 year old when he beat Xu Xin in the final of the Chinese U17 Championships. Perhaps you saw the video here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Thanks, Tokie :)
It's funny you mention Toshio Tasaki, Jian Sun and Jiang Haiyang. They are my favourites too, just a step behind Hyun Junghwa.
If you know of any quality videos of them that I don't have, please PM me :)

I agree. It was a shame Jiang was dropped. He was very good as a 17 year old when he beat Xu Xin in the final of the Chinese U17 Championships. Perhaps you saw the video here?

Yes, I already saw that. I think you have all videos that I have watched (plus many I haven't watch yet, lol). Do you have plan to add Wang Zheng Yi and He Zhiwen into your playlist? And Xie Saike?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
We have a saying over here. To graduate, penholder has to do 8 subjects whereas for shake hander, only has to do 5 subjects.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
It is just a figure of speech. Since penholder has more freedom of movement on the wrist, many different types of stroke can be generated. Another example will be the backhand .... 2 distinct styles, TBH or RPB or both. Learning both method means it take more time and effort.

To learn to play with penhold is easy. To master it is very difficult.

I played penhold style for 2 years in competition, i loved this style playing but backhand rpb was very difficult for me, largely because my fingers are fine for violin but too long for penhold style ...
I play the violin and my fingers are long too :)

Go to minute 29:20

In China they call it the shallow penhold grip. It works perfect for me. It is very similar to Wang Hao's grip too.

Reactions: violoniste18
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I don't really know but Kaii yoshida ? I think he plays japanese penhold

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I believe this belongs here:

Yeah. He's an upcoming youngster named Qiu Dang. He plays a jpen blade but using it more like cpen and also plays RPB with that huge blade... :)
He has lost that match though, but just won against Habesohn.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
That's very interesting, I play RPB but with a Chinese penhold blade.

What's the point of playing RPB with a Japanese penhold blade?

I thought Jpen blades were designed for 1 side penhold players :)

I must admit that i haven't got a clue. Maybe he wants to train his wrists and get a wrist like Arnie Schwarzenegger... ;)

The difference can make the difference; arguably that is one reason why Germany’s Qiu Dang succeeded in his second match in the Boys’ Singles event at the 2013 ITTF World Junior Championships in Rabat on the afternoon of Thursday 5th December.

Not only did the 17 year old succeed; in claiming victory he caused a minor upset.

Currently listed at no.89 on the Under 18 Boys’ World Rankings, having earlier in the day beaten New Zealand’s Nathan Watson (11-3, 11-4, 11-7, 11-8), he overcame Hong Kong’s Li Hon Ming in a close five games encounter (11-6, 9-11, 11-8, 8-11, 12-10, 5-11, 11-4).

Li Hon Ming, named at no.73 on the Under 18 Boys’ World Rankings.
Unlike the Rest
Qiu Dang is different to the vast majority of players in action in Rabat. He is a pen-hold grip player, adopting the style of the likes of China’s Wang Hao, adept at executing top spin strokes from both wings.

He is the difference that once was never a difference. At the recent Liebherr Men’s World Cup, the only pen-hold grip player on duty was Xu Xin; quite ironic that the only player to use the grip won the tournament!

Grip Abandoned
At the World Junior Championships in Rabat, countries such as Korea and Japan, who once fielded teams full of pen-holders, have no such artist in their line-ups. Noticeably, neither has China, the one country in the world that appears to be prepared to continue to promote the grip.

No doubt some eagle eyed whizz will prove me wrong but are there only two pen-holders out of 192 players on duty in Rabat? Brazil’s Luan Oliveira is also a pen-hold grip player like Qiu Dang.

Preferred Grip
“I tried the shake-hands grip but my backhand was not so good”, said Qiu Dang. “I changed and tried the pen-hold grip and for me it was much better.”

Adopting the pen-hold grip in order to improve the backhand somewhat flies in the face of modern day thinking; the backhand is perceived as being vital in the modern era and the best way to execute a strong backhand is to use the shake-hands grip.

Good Backhands
The performance of Xu Xin at the Liebherr Men’s World Cup in September and the efforts of Qiu Dang in Rabat suggests the backhand can be just as effective whichever of the two grips you use.
Surely nobody proved the point that you can be a pen-holder and have a strong backhand more that Wang Hao?

Serve and Receive
Certainly, the style of Qiu Dang was very effective against Li Hon Ming.

“I think maybe I was just slightly the better in serve and receive”, added Qiu Dang. “Sure, I’m really pleased I won, I played him recently and lost four-zero!”

In Rabat Qiu Dang turned the tables.

source: http://ittf.com/stories/Stories_detail_juniors.asp?ID=33782&General_Catigory=&

But he seems to know what he´s doing. His father is a well known coach for the former TTBL Team TTC Frickenhausen and also has a TT-School
http://qiutts.de/ueber-uns/

more info on Qiu Dang (in german):

http://www.tischtennis.de/jugend/youngstars/86//
http://www.ttcoe.de/index.php/16-ak...ef-und-video-des-neuzugangs-aus-frickenhausen

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I believe that, back when people who played penhold just used the one side, that some people liked the handle and shape of the jpen blades better. Now that penholders are using the other side too, there isn't really as much of a reason to use jpen. Just what it seems like to me.

Reactions: Suga D