Problems in games

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To cut a long story short, work on stuff that addresses immediate problems in your game based on your point losing/winning patterns as at least 40% of your practice. This can be wrapped in with strategic stuff to make it 70%+ that makes it more valuable or be purely tactical at 40%. This is how I have gotten better or stabilized my rating for the most part.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Here's the problem from where I stand:

As an adult player that wasn't trained properly as a kid, I have numerous technical problems and timing problems throughout my game, even on most of my basic strokes. Now, I find it impossible to correct these issues in a random type environment. While I agree that random practice leads to better retention and better short term performance for tournaments/competitions, I just don't see where I can find the TIME to fit any of it in, as most of my available practice time goes towards correcting the fundamental technical issues that are capping my game. I suppose if I had time for two training sessions daily, I could divide the work into a block session and a random session. But what working, fat adult player has the time or energy for that?

Understanding how to best allocate my time is the hardest part of table tennis for me.

Daniel, I think it would be a GREAT use of your time if you did the Sterling, VA Xiom Fall Open with me. I am in U2000, Open, and O40. The club is soft maroon floor covering and blue walls new tables.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here's the problem from where I stand:

As an adult player that wasn't trained properly as a kid, I have numerous technical problems and timing problems throughout my game, even on most of my basic strokes. Now, I find it impossible to correct these issues in a random type environment. While I agree that random practice leads to better retention and better short term performance for tournaments/competitions, I just don't see where I can find the TIME to fit any of it in, as most of my available practice time goes towards correcting the fundamental technical issues that are capping my game. I suppose if I had time for two training sessions daily, I could divide the work into a block session and a random session. But what working, fat adult player has the time or energy for that?

Understanding how to best allocate my time is the hardest part of table tennis for me.

One thing I would say about the technique thing: I spent about 2.5 years rebuilding my strokes, undoing a lot of the bad habits, 100% changing my forehand stroke, learning to loop instead of flat hitting. In that time, my level dropped because I played almost no games. My strokes are decent but there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. I did most of those changes with friends who are good players helping me, but with no real coaching. At a certain point I became ready to reintroduce the random element and my level shot up past where it was before I completely unlearned the old FH. But, once the random element is introduced you have to relearn how to keep form. I think going back and forth from random to block would probably work better than how I really eliminated the random element and focused on just rebuilding my strokes.

But, at this point I just go back and forth between game skills and stroke production. But when working on stroke production there is always some element of randomness, of having to adjust--longer, shorter, a little to the left, a little to the right, heavy top, light, dead, backspin--so the element of having to read, adjust and decide how to handle the ball coming at you is always part of it, even when I am working on stroke mechanics.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Reactions: SchemeSC
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The only things that clearly and immediately get rewarded when you improve technique are your serves and serve returns. When you think about it, they are the only things that guaranteed to show up in a point. But to go beyond that, you aren't going to improve much if you focus on all these general, vague things like timing issues etc. You need to get down to addressing the question of how you win and lose points. And whatever is winning points has to be shored up by forcing the opponents to play into it more, and whatever is losing points has to be shored up by fixing it or designing plays that avoid it. I remember Paul Drinkhall saying I think in an interview with Ben Larcombe that ultimately, you need to be practicing things that win you matches. If a World Class player is saying this, there has to be a lesson in there for all of us.

A common comment from many people is that I play a lot because I started posting a lot of my practice on youtube. In a sense, it is true, but what really happened was that I got to about 1950 or so and that my auto-immune arthritis is such that I can never really tell how bad it will get before it gets too hard to continue playing so last year, I spent the last 3 months investing heavily in league and tournament play so that I could break 2000 while I was sure I would still be healthy enough to do so. If I didn't play that much, or I even played only twice or thrice a week, I am sure I would have broken 2000 eventually if I stayed healthy enough, but that is the problem - I never knew so I didn't want to risk it.

After this, I got lucky that a guy who liked to train moved into my area so I used the opportunity to rebuild my forehand so that it could be more technically solid (I mean, I broke 2000 with it. so it wasn't like I had no forehand, it was more about what I could do with it and where I wanted to go). I have learned that training a lot takes a physical toll on one's body if one pushes it for many hours, so the advantages for an aging or diseased amateur without all the therapy and care a pro gets can be overestimated. Also, having too much training time can make you lose focus. I spend way too much time looping into block at my club, when I need to be doing more random drills. Thankfully, I got a robot, so I play less (yes, less) and I go into the club a few times to use the robot.

While my forehand strokes are technically sounder in 2015 and I can play more players in ways that I couldn't before, my results are largely unchanged other than that I am losing far less to worse players and beating them more easily. What I took from that was that my serve and serve receive game were relatively stronger than I gave them credit for and that what I have really done is make it harder for me to lose points in certain ways. On the other hand, I did a lot of work on serve in the last 3 months of 2014 because of TTEdge and it expanded my understanding of the game significantly and I actually closed out a few critical matches with the reverse serve. As my serve game got stronger, it has made it harder for lower rated players to get into points without giving me third ball opportunities.

What I have never done at any point in my career is to go into a match thinking about how my technical deficiencies keep me from winning. Your job is to make them play to your strengths - find the right serves or continue looking for them and if not you are playing a good player. Your job is to conceal your weaknesses with ball placement and good serve choices. And if you really want to get better, spend a lot of time working on your serves and recording them. TTEdge teaches at least 4 high level serves (pendulum, reverse pendulum, backspin/nospin and tomahawk) that can all transform your game. I do all those serves at a decent level (and I am primarily a backhand server, so I don't use those serves as my primary serves, other than the pendulum which is showing up more often for forehand training reasons). Watching your serves and noting their quality will help you immeasurably when returning other people's serves. It's no accident that I Started returning pendulum better when I learned how to serve it better.

THere are players who come to my club twice a week who play at the 1800 level. And they got to the 1800 level playing twice a week too! The real challenge for them IMO is that playing more allows you to mess around more while getting a grip on what you need to change. And without messing around, TT is not fun for amateurs. But if improving is the goal, twice a week is enough. When I Say you don't play enough, SchemeSC, what I really mean is that you don't have a grip on your game and what it needs to make it better. IF you had more hours, it would come naturally. But if you don't have the time, you need to figure out what you really need, what what you vaguely need. Even Ma Long needs what you need and he got trained out of the womb.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

It's safe to say that all players have problems in games - just different types.

Having just returned to table tennis after a seven-year break, I've found I've lost my timing. Sadly, it's not like riding a bicycle where the muscle memory is permanent. It's like driving a vehicle after a long break - you have to go back to consciously performing "mirror-signal-manouevre" until you're subconsciously performing this again.

My first two evenings of two hours each have proved rather disappointing in this regard.

The good news is that I'm not as bad as I feared, the bad news is that I'm not as good as I'd hoped - the bad news being greater than the good.

I'm snatching at the ball - ie, panic-hitting - instead of smoothly stroking the ball like I used to do when I was playing years ago. I know the strokes and can do them - adding a bouncing ball to the mix is throwing a spanner in the works.

I agree with the video and comments from the linked topics.

Using the knock-up as a "block" practice - FH-to-FH, FH-to-BH, BH-to-FH, and BH-to-BH - before simply playing best-of-3/5/7 sets as "random" practice to learn to deal with whatever comes at me as a way of triggering/re-awakening my muscle memory from years past, seems to be the best solution.

I think I'll have to do what I did on returning after previous breaks in my table tennis "career".

FH - Use a longer form of the flick, from back-low to forward-high, where the bat starts in a open position to essentially "catch" the ball on it before turning/flicking the wrist to apply topspin by brushing the back/top of the ball.

My backhand is alright, as I'm hitting the ball in front of me - the forehand's the problem as I'm left-handed but right-eye dominant.

As regards mental stress, it may be an idea to learn "mindfulness" - although most studies are over six weeks, a recent study shows that only three 25 minute sessions showed positive results in the subjects' abilities to deal with stress.

Kindest regards,

James.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Once I played a competition with a mild flu and won all my games. The flu gave me a relaxed feeling I usually lack at competitions. Since then I´ve been trying to search for that mix of relaxation and concentration. When you get IN the zone, winning or losing don´t matter anymore. It´s all about enjoying the game and enjoying your body in motion, like dancing.
It is difficult to get there. I´m still trying to find out the equation. Breathing is very important, and forgetting who's watching or how important the game is. If playing stresses you and you get mad at yourself every time, then may be it´s better to stop competing for a while. It should be fun, shouldn´t it?